Profile for HavaBanana > Reviews

Content by HavaBanana

HavaBanana (uk)

Four Classic Albums: Anita Sings the Most/the Lady Is a Tramp/An Evening With Anita O'day/Anita

5.0 out of 5 stars Seduced by the 'Jezebel', 23 Nov. 2010
Firstly if you're hesitating over purchasing this album, DON'T! just buy it. It really is a no brainer at this price, this was my first purhase of O'day's material, as others have said its a great introduction to her talents.

Four great albums....well 'The Lady Is A Tramp' album maybe not up to par with the rest IMO; as stated by another reviewer-Nikica Gilic with whom I do agree mostly. Its not pure jazz but still listenable the track 'Love for Sale' one of the highlights.

The other three albums are great, I listen to this compilation alot, there's a real mixture, fast tempos- especially on 'Anita Sings The Most' fantastic album. From this wonderful album personal highs include; 'Love me or leave me' and 'Them there eyes' pure class, then slower numbers such as the smooth, almost haunting 'Tenderly' which for me is my favourite song on this comp, the brilliant 'Stella by starlight' being another gem.

I could go on there's so much to choose from here, even if you only like one of the albums; though I can't see how, you're still getting a real bargain.

Some people accused her of ripping off the likes of Billie and Ella, which I don't agree, she holds her own, whilst she admired Billie Holiday, inspired by even, whats wrong with that many great artists if not all are influenced by others. She has her own distinct 'sassy' sound, which seduced me anyway!

My review might be a bit messy, all over the place, my apologies! Others on here probably put it better haha. Anyway let your own ears persuade you!

I did write a review some months back now, but for some reason, technical glinches on amazon error prevented its submission, got round to writing it again as I think its worthy of it.

Anita O'Day - The Life Of A Jazz Singer [DVD] [2009]
Anita O'Day - The Life Of A Jazz Singer [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Anita O'Day

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Tribute., 23 Nov. 2010
This is a great documentary, about an amazing person and the life she led, brilliant extras on second disc aswell, showing some amazing rare footage of various performances of her early career from the 1940s to 60s aswell as extra documentary snippets. Highly recommended to any fan of hers (probably preaching to the converted anyway!) and a welcome addition to any jazz fan.

High Times, Hard Times
High Times, Hard Times
by Anita O'Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 23 Nov. 2010
This review is from: High Times, Hard Times (Paperback)
I've only recently become a fan of this amazing jazz singer, I only heard of her through some BBC4 documentary awhile ago, which I can't remember the title of; she is not as well known as the likes of Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald, in the UK anyway, which is a great shame.
I fell in love with her voice and her style of delivery. Wanting to find out more about her I watched the documentary 'The Life of A Jazz Singer' (which is also great btw) specifically about her.
This book is a worthwhile read to any fan of hers, or jazz in general, I was hooked the moment I started reading it, which is something! as I don't read that often.
What a life she led, unbelievable situations and struggles against the odds, makes me laugh all these little 'celebs'of today writing about their lives after 5 minutes of 'fame'.
She was around 60 when this came out in 1981, she 'had' something to talk about, pity she is not more widely known, an amazing life and singer too!

Exciter
Exciter
Offered by the_record_factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten Gem., 23 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Exciter (Audio CD)
I purchased this album some years ago now, over that time I have grown to like it more and more, being nearly ten years on, I think it's dated well. For some reason I felt compelled to write a review now!. Definitely an underrated album among their work, also a brave direction in sound, experimentation.
Its a difficult thing to live up to past expectations, whilst keeping things fresh. Possibly its title is misleading to people, as most of the album is more of a subtle ambient affair, as opposed to in your face pounding rhythms, bar a couple of tracks- The Dead of Night and I Feel Loved; the latter which I suspect people expected the album to be like, as this was one of single releases. Scratch the surface and you'll find its a different beast which is a good thing in my opinion.
Personally I rate this among their best work, stand out tracks for me are Dream On, Freelove, When The Body Speaks, Comatose, Goodnight Lovers and the rest of the album Ha Ha!, its all good. Give it time and you'll see.

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned
Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Different direction, 28 Jun. 2006
As a big prodigy fan since their early stuff felt the need to input my four pence worth OMO. I find a number of people on here slate this album and I agree to a point with what they say but...
But can't agree with people who simply write it off as a failure. I think long time fans (incl. myself) will always tend to compare to their past which will undoubtedly give a biased opinion about the latest offering.
As an 'electronic' stand alone album this is a good album. And to newbie's to the prodigy this is probably an interesting piece and maybe better than their past work.
Personally I think this is a good album just not 'prodigy' sounding album entirely , 'Spitfire' reminds me of FOTL but the rest of it goes down different avenues. I thinks its a 'grower' as i keep playing and liking it more with every listen.
Hats off to Liam for having the balls to try some new ideas, as it must be hard with the pressure to stay ahead of the game, as their are many more great electronic acts out their.
Certainly not a revelation like their last two albums as they were ground breaking at the time and haven't really dated, unlike some of their rivals!
Maybe the next album will break the mould once more and take over the world!!!! nuff said, now shoot me down!