Profile for Ms. L. J. Ridings > Reviews

Content by Ms. L. J. Ridings

Ms. L. J. Ridings "ljridings" (manchester)

How Starbucks Saved My Life
How Starbucks Saved My Life
by Michael Gill

2.0 out of 5 stars How This Book Bored Me To Tears, 14 Sep 2007
My friend owns this book and we keep it in the bathroom for reading at those special quiet contemplative moments,thank god! Even reading this book in short segments is hard work, but I am of the philosophy that if I have started a book I must finish it! Michael Gills father must be turning in his grave, if the son of a supposed great New Yorker writer can produce such over inflated drivel. I understand this is a story about his personal journey from hard faced advertising exec to lowly but happy barista, but self obsession is never pretty. He moves from rememberances of his childhood and how his father was never there for him, makes the comparison to himself and how he treats his children, then moves on the same page to the rigours of cleaning a bathroom in store and that he could of never imagined himself doing this a jwtbcgxyz advertising agency. This is a formula he repeats on every page, infact a page rarely goes by when he doesn't mention his age or his previous life status. I find him a repative and unlikeable writer who feel the need to recant the same stories and anecdotes every few pages. I imagine if i were to read this book in one long sitting I would end up with repative strain injury!