Profile for BML > Reviews

BML

Black Diamond [Import]
Black Diamond [Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars South African music at its best, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Black Diamond [Import] (Audio CD)
Brilliant chilled album. All 8 tracks are solid tunes and the 2 instrumentals are a welcome addition.

Yeezus
Yeezus

5.0 out of 5 stars Caught me by surprise, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Yeezus (Audio CD)
I must admit i was highly skeptical about Yeezus before i listened to it, but when i did it blew me away.
The album feels raw, energetic and incorporates deep personal and political thought (a key aspect that has been missing from rap for decades) with Kanye still holding the capacity to develop devastating lyrical blows. The obvious Dancehall influence to this album is very refreshing and both Assassin and Chief Keef add quality contributions.
There isn't a song on this album i dislike and for me the works of pure masterpiece are: Hold my liquor, Bound to, I'm in it and I am a God.
Wouldn't be an understatement to say It's in contention for best Rap album of the decade so far.

Super Mario Bros - Deluxe (GBC)
Super Mario Bros - Deluxe (GBC)

4.0 out of 5 stars New review of an old game?, 1 Sept. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Ok, so I'm a 12 year old girl, I own a DS and a Wii, am saving up for a 3DS-its 2011, and I'm living in the age of smartphones, touchscreen computers and no-glasses 3D consoles. So why did I bother with a game like this, a port of the first ever super Mario game, when I have New Super Mario Bros Wii already?

Recently, I got a Hameboy color for a very cheap price (note to reader: go to bootfairs, they are full of old games consoles), and when I saw this on amazon, I decided to make this my first game. Why? I don't know. I've never played the original before, and while this is just a port, seeming as I don't have a NES I just had to settle for this. I knew that it would be nothing like the mario games today, with the secret worlds, the lush graphics and the variety of power-ups, but I thought I may as well check it out, seeming as its so cheap.

First of all the game is very addicting, and I just can't seem to put my wonderus GBC down thanks to this little cartrige. I have no idea why, but it just is. Also, the controls are simple, but this dosen't make the game easier. I'm pretty sure my mum could play this, but the only games SHE'S ever played is Space Invaders and Pacman, so I haven't bothered trying to get her into it. Basically its A to jump, B to dash or throw fireballs,left and right to move, down to duck and up to change the camera position.

I could go on forever, but to spare your boredom, I'll just do a quick summery

+Easy Controls
+Very addictive
+Funky chiptune soundtrack
+Platforming at its purist
-Only 32 levels?
-Graphics very simple
-Lakc of variety of powerups

Overall, I'd give this game 8/10
Can't wait to get some more games for my newest companion!!!

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Nintendo DS)
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Nintendo DS)
Offered by aardvark-games

4.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Quest IX: Repetativeness of the sarry skies, 2 Aug. 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This was really one of the first 'proper' RPGs that I've bought. I got this because other people had given it high ratings and I was interested in trying out the RPG (Role Playing Game) genre. At the beginning, after creating and customising your own player (which I always find enjoyable), you find yourself in a small, isolated town called Angel Falls where nobody knows who you are. You start making friends with the town folk and start fighting the strange monsters just outside the village and do your first boss battle. By the time you move on to the next location, you've pretty much captured most of the game's feel. Because really, thats all you do. Become friends with the townsfolk, learn about the trouble being caused in that location, do some errands, go off to fight the big boss, move on to the next location and repeat. Or, as is usually the case, go off to fight the big boss, die in the first few seconds of the battle due to your low health from fighting your way through the game's dungeons, stock up on medicine, level up, and try again until you finally defeat the boss.

The dungeons that you have to go through before finding the boss at the very end are very frustrating. I think that the game producers put them in as a challenge, but they really are annoying, and can cause you to give up on Dragon Quest and play another game that is less annoying. The dungeons in question are filled with masses of monsters that come and attack you for no reason, which means that every few seconds you are welcomed with the now annoying sound of battle music. While this may level you up for the fight in question, your health sharply deteriorates, so that when you finally do get to the boss, which takes forever, some of your team members have died, you don't have any medicine, and your MP, which is your best form of attack, is down, so you die and go back to the start of the dungeon, which means going through the same maze all over again filled with monsters. I don't see why it can't be like in the Zelda DS games, where after completing the dungeon and finding the boss, if you are to die, then when you try again, you can jump straight into the boss battle without going through all the traps and monsters, which you probably will end up doing.

The side quests, which are meant to be helpful to the player and are meant as practice, are also repetitive to the respects of finding yourself doing the same quests over and over again for little amounts of money.

If I was to go on about this game, then I think you would start to get bored, so here is a summary for you:

+Good graphics/music
-Repetative gameplay
-Fights are boring
-Dungeons are irritating
-Easy to give up

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Nintendo DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Netro Enterprise

4.0 out of 5 stars Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney review-it's ACE!, 1 Aug. 2011
As a female teenage gamer, there isn't much out on the market for people like me, unless you want something like Style Boutique. I'm not much of a girly girl, and I do prefer Professor Layton games to games where you dress people up.

I got this game on the impression that it had original gameplay and an interesting plot from other reviews on this site and on other gaming review sites. I am glad to say that the game lived up to my expectations, and is one of my favorite DS games. It is original, funny, interesting and quite sweet. I don't know why, but screaming "OBJECTION" into the DS microphone fills me with a certain joy. I would like to go on and on about this game, but I can't really fit it all into one review:

Good Points:
+Great case stories
+Interesting and original cast of characters
+Good music
+Humorous script
+Great use of the DS and microphone (especially in case 5)
+Original gameplay ideas

Bad Points:
-Shorter than you'd like it to be
-Graphics aren't brilliant
-Sometimes left without a clue

On the whole, definitely worth checking out, no matter what kind of gamer you are. Saving up for Justice for All.

One thing to note: The first time I got this game from one of Amazon's sellers (it was for roughly £10 which was what made me get it), I instead got Trials and Tribulations, and to top it off, it was in GERMAN! Second time lucky though.

Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360)
Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360)
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars This games amazing!, 19 Nov. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is great

The campaign although short has well deigned missions and some of them like kizingo boulevard match the greatness of past halo campaign maps.

Firefight is great on your own but excellent when you play with a friend andi t has included some of the best moments Ive ever had while gaming

And then there's the multi player disc which open you up to the best of online shooting with the best maps (Valhalla,Construct,Sandtrap,Heretic,High ground)in multiplayer history.

Never played Halo?

Well get this instead of Reach which is trash compared to this