Profile for Mr. C. Winwood > Reviews

Ring of Fire
by Rick Broadbent
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling read, 8 April 2012
This review is from: Ring of Fire (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. Although I have been very interested in and have closely followed motorcycle racing for many years, this book has given me a new insight. Written in a pacey dramatic style it is a fascinaing and true story about these modern day gladiators. The author contrasts the life of Mike Hailwood with that of Valentino Rossi and other modern day bike racers. There are numerous anecdotes and tales which I had not heard about before. It's this human side that makes this book so interesting. Even if you have no particular interest in bike racing this book would still be a great read.

How to Restore Your Motorcycle (Motorbooks Workshop)
How to Restore Your Motorcycle (Motorbooks Workshop)
by Mark Zimmerman
Price: 18.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Motorcycle Restoration, 3 Mar 2012
I bought this book because I was thinking about buying & restoring a machine from my youth. Reading this book though, completely put me off the idea!
This might have been a good thing. So i'm a bit ambivalent whether a book should encourage an idea or reveal the pitfalls you might meet. Somebody else could come to a different conclusion. The book is quite well illustrated and there's lots of information. The best advice was to buy an already restored machine and tinker with that. Always cheaper than doing it all oneself!

Bernie: The Biography of Bernie Ecclestone
Bernie: The Biography of Bernie Ecclestone
by Susan Watkins
Price: 8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Susan Watkin's biography of Bernie Ecclestone, 30 Jan 2011
The enigmatic Bernie Ecclestone lives a private life and I've always wondered what he's really like. This book provides quite a few clues. It charts Ecclestone's life from selling cakes at school to becoming a used bike and then car dealer to his his enormous wealth creation through the promotion of F1. There is much detail so the book appears to be well researched. I found it a very enjoyable read quite fascinating in places. Susan Watkins wites in a kindly style so there is not much criticsm of the way Bernie operates. I would have liked more information about the Mclaren spy scandal and the demise of Max Mosely as head of the FIA. Overall though if you want an insight into the life of this famous billionaire then I would recomend this book but understand it's rather biased in his favour.

MotoGP Technology
MotoGP Technology
by Neil Spalding

5.0 out of 5 stars Moto GP Technology, 4 Aug 2010
This review is from: MotoGP Technology (Hardcover)
If you really want to know about the amazing technology in modern top class bike racing then this book is a must. Neil Spalding is obviously an expert in this field and seems to have access to a lot of hitherto unknown details of various GP bikes. The book also contains some superb photographs and diagrams. I bought this book for my son's birthday and having flicked through it immediately ordered one for my self. It is a very technical book and so is aimed specifically at the true Moto GP enthusiast.