Profile for Mr Dave Lightfoot > Reviews

Content by Mr Dave Lightfoot

Mr Dave Lightfoot (Belfast, Northern Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Last Outpost
The Last Outpost

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Horror, 16 May 2016
This review is from: The Last Outpost (Kindle Edition)
A great sequel to Hawkins first novel The Last Plaque.
Full of horror and scenes written with the purpose of disturbing the reader, Hawkins has a clear style of using short paragraphs to portray the nightmare he is trying to create.
The story surrounding the main characters is quite simple - get from point A to B - and provides a back bone for the novel. It's the horror that adds the blood and flesh.
As soon as I had finished the book, I ordered the third in the trilogy.

Great read.

Denying Thanatos
Denying Thanatos

5.0 out of 5 stars Another well written great story from Iain, 27 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Denying Thanatos (Kindle Edition)
Another well written great story from Iain. I wouldn't expect anything less.

A well put together tale about surviving in the wilds on little to no food. Iain gives great in depth descriptions of how a person would feel, both mentally and physically in this story, once again showing his skill with words.

I really enjoyed this book (As I have with every one of McKinnons novels) and I would recommend it to readers of Apocalyptic fiction and anyone else interested a darker shade of story telling.

Seven Cities of Old
Seven Cities of Old

5.0 out of 5 stars I was first introduced to his books by a friend who recommended his Cabalistics Inc series, 6 Dec. 2015
I've been a fan of Mike Wild's writing for a few years. I was first introduced to his books by a friend who recommended his Cabalistics Inc series. From that I moved onto his Kali Hooper stories.
His stories always kept me intrigued and amused. His ability to write so well but yet keep the story simple and enjoyable throughout was very addictive. He wrote the stories I wanted to hear.

Seven Cities of Old is possibly one of his best. It's an exciting tale that throws everything at everybody. You want humour, it's there. Action - there. History - there (maybe a bit jumbled for dramatic affect).
Get this book.
Read it.
Set it down.
And then realise
All stories should be told this way.

The Last Plague
The Last Plague

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first Novel, 19 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Last Plague (Kindle Edition)
The blurb on the back of this book states that this is Rich Hawkins first novel. When I began reading it I could see that he hadn't fully found his feet as the sentences were very short and punchy, sometimes making it hard to distinguish between characters and plot. But after a few chapters I got into his way of writing and was able to fully get engrossed into his story and his style. Maybe the problem at the start was my own.

The story is great. A typical "survivors" tale set amongst the horrors of a monstrous (zombie like) apocalypse. And when I say "horrors", I mean horrors, as this author doesn't hold back on the gruesome, gory horror that will please many fans of the genre.

Don't be expecting any massive plot twists or ground breaking reveals. This is a simple story of people getting from A to B without getting ripped apart, and with the scarily wonderful imagination the author has, he creates many many gruesome scenarios to keep the reader happy and slightly disturbed.
A great horror novel that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Looking forward to more from Rich Hawkins in the future.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip off, 18 Sept. 2014
Ordered a medium.
Got an XL sent to me and it's so small it just about fits my tiny 5ft4" girlfriend.
Looks similar to the product picture but different enough to be called a rubbish knock off.
I would give it no stars but it gets one, simply because it's wearable (for her).

Will never be ordering from this company again.

The Cost of Living
The Cost of Living

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Aug. 2014
Once again David Moody has shown why he is a leading name in Apoc Horror.
His way of making a zombie outbreak both believable and engrossing is second to none.
Awesome story that had me gripped from the start.

The Girl in the Basement
The Girl in the Basement

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 30 July 2014
Wayne Simmons delivers a master class in gritty thriller writing with this short, dark and disturbing novella.
In such a short time, Wayne creates a brilliant back story, strong characters and gruesome tale for his readers to get their teeth into and his swift descriptive details hit the mark as always, giving the reader the perfect visuals they need for the story.
A story of a strong woman (Waynes trademark - IMHO) who suffers at the hands of a maniac in a dark and desolate Manchester will leave you slightly disturbed and begging for more.
Well worth the low price for any fan of Waynes or the genre.

Demise of the Living (Domain of the Dead Book 3)
Demise of the Living (Domain of the Dead Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great prequel, 9 Jan. 2014
I have been a fan of Iain McKinnon's writing for a few years now and I was extremely excited when I found out about the release of this book.

Basically, this is the book I've been waiting for Iain to write since I first discovered 'Domain of the Dead', his first novel.

His previous two "zombie" novels (Domian and Remains - of the Dead) have been set many years into the zombie apocalypse. I always wanted to see how he would start his tale, how his personal Z-Poc would come around and in this book he shows us exactly that.

And I was not dissappointed.

The story is fast, dark and extremely well written (as always).
He creates believable characters, that you either love or hate. He creates scenarios that are well written and believable even if the main subject (zombies), isnt.

Once again, Iain has given us a great piece of zombie fiction and I cannot wait until his next book is on the shelves.

Highly recommended to every fan of the genre and those readers wanting to see what all the fuss about a Z-Poc actually is.

Plastic Jesus
Plastic Jesus
by Wayne Simmons

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Noir Sci Fi, 31 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Plastic Jesus (Paperback)
Having been a fan of Wayne Simmons for many years I was very excited to see him branch away from the zombie/horror genre and into Sci Fi. I couldn't wait to see what he could do to this genre with his fresh, quick and gritty style of writing.
He did not dissapoint.

Plastic Jesus is a dark and dirty "Noir" tale set in Lark City, a place of everyday folk living their lives surrounded by filth, drugs, corruption and Virtual Reality.
Situated off the coast of America, this "fictional" city has fallen foul of the Law. A place were gangsters rule the streets and drugs are their profits. A place were corporations advertise their goods to the masses with neon lights and VR. A place were a young girl can fall into prostitution and a young man become a theif in the blink of an eye. But it's also a place were an everyday person can live peacefully and work an normal day.
That is until Johnny, a lost soul of a programmer is asked to create a Jesus VR program for the masses.
Then all hell really does break loose.

I found this book to be enthralling. The world Simmons has created reminded me of many futuristic cities we have seen in films such as BLADERUNNER, mixed with a strong dash of Frank Millers SIN CITY.
His characters are strong, believable and easy to understand.
His short, fast chapters keep the pace running and the story exciting.

I really enjoyed this change of direction from the author and I am looking forward to more of this style from him and more of his horror stuff too.

From the Torment of Dreams
From the Torment of Dreams

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Sci Fi., 13 Sept. 2013
I've been a fan of Iain McKinnon's writing ever since reading his Zombie novel 'Domain of the Dead'.
Being known for the zombie genre (with 2 books released and more coming - hopefully, plus some short stories), I was very happy to see he had released a SciFi novel.

The story itself is very well put together with great characters and futuristic, yet believable fiction.
Iain's use of the English language is, as always, on form with great descriptions and perfectly worded lines that help the reader feel the emotions of the characters and the atmosphere of the scenes that are happening.
The action is non stop from start to finish. The story is easy to follow and exciting.

I'm very happy with the authors transistion from the Zombie genre to SciFi and I can't wait to read more from him, in both genres and hopefully others in the future.

Highly recommended to every fan of SciFi and Iain's previous work.

Roll on his next novel.