Profile for JanBird&DebMeades > Reviews

Content by JanBird&DebMeades

JanBird&DebMeades (Stretford, Gtr Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Futuretrack 5
Futuretrack 5
by Robert Westall
Edition: Library Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read..., 3 July 2013
This review is from: Futuretrack 5 (Library Binding)
Robert Westall so you know you're in for an entertaining and informative read. One of my favourite authors. The ending was a tad grim! Read it and see... ;)

My Friend Martha's Aunt
My Friend Martha's Aunt
by Jane Duncan

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm working my way through the My Friends series yet again..., 3 July 2013
Another favourite author, Jane Duncan is a wonderful writer. I love all these books and her other series 'Jean...' written as Janet Sandison. I've only My Friends The MacLeans to get now, must keep an eye out on here... :D

Antique Dust (ISIS Large Print)
Antique Dust (ISIS Large Print)
by Robert Westall

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Robert Westall..., 3 July 2013
Very much enjoyed this as I do all his books. Would recommend to a friend or anybody really...he writes mostly for young adults but seeing as I'm young at heart... ;)

Mafia Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the Gambino Crime Family
Mafia Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the Gambino Crime Family
by John H. Davis
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice present..., 3 July 2013
Bought for my nephew who said he very much enjoyed this excellent book. He's into all that crime stuff anyways. Delivery and packaging were excellent.

A Ghost Waiting
A Ghost Waiting
by Hugh Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars A ghost story for young adults..., 9 April 2013
This review is from: A Ghost Waiting (Paperback)
An enjoyable tale, I sometimes prefer books for young adults/teenagers as there's less of the purple prose...quite atmospheric with the descriptions of the graveyard etc. If you like ghost stories you could give it a whirl, it's only short, I read it through in one go.

Anarchaos
Anarchaos
by Donald E. Westlake

5.0 out of 5 stars My fave author, my fave genre, together at last!, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Anarchaos (Hardcover)
Donald E Westlake is my favourite author so I'm biased from the start, but I must say I really enjoyed this book. It would make a great film and reads a bit like a film script, very to the point, no frills. It's about Rolf who gets out of prison, all hard-boiled and looking to unearth the details and seek revenge for the death of his brother Gar and find out what happened to him on a distant very nasty planet. Can't say much else without giving the game away, but go read it, it's good. I read it in two sittings having to go to bed halfway through...very loathe to put the book down. Made a change from crime caper novels and I wasn't sure I'd like it but I very much did. - Janet Elizabeth Bird

The Various Haunts Of Men: Simon Serrailler Book 1 (Simon Serrailler 1)
The Various Haunts Of Men: Simon Serrailler Book 1 (Simon Serrailler 1)
by Susan Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable book..., 3 Aug. 2012
...from the author of The Woman In Black which still freaks me out big time, the book, the stage play, the films...agh...so I read this with trepidation but it was just a whodunnit though very enjoyable and I read it in next to no time and didn't guess at all till right near the end, in fact at one stage I thought it was Simon! Duh! Jan Bird

A Box Of Matches
A Box Of Matches
by Nicholson Baker

4.0 out of 5 stars IMHO by Jan Bird, 23 July 2012
This review is from: A Box Of Matches (Paperback)
I read it in one go before going to sleep, it's a very gentle read. I was fascinated by the duck. Personally I'd have brought the duck into the kitchen, it really seemed so very cold. His wife seemed like a very patient person. I could have read more.

The Know-it-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World
by A. J. Jacobs

5.0 out of 5 stars IMHO by Jan Bird, 23 July 2012
IMHO this book is a cracking read. I kept wanting to get back to it rather than doing other things like vaccing and walking the stupid dog. It's definitely a keeper and I enjoyed it thoroughly. We used to have a 1950s red hardback Encyclopædia that my Mum bought at the door off a tallyman. I devoured every book in the set of ten, from cover to cover throughout my childhood and was devastated when my Dad gave it away. I've been searching for one the same ever since.

Doomsday Book
Doomsday Book
by Connie Willis
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Jan Bird on..., 10 May 2012
Domesday...one of my all time favourite reads, read two or three times and will read again after a suitable interval and the way my memory's going these days, the intervals are getting shorter and shorter, so maybe there's something to be said for growing old then...not. I utterly love this book, she's a cracking writer. I adore time travel anyways and she makes it so interesting and informative. An entertaining way with history. 10/10

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5