Profile for Azure Aurora > Reviews

Content by Azure Aurora

Azure Aurora (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Fractured
Fractured

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a likeable protagonist., 15 July 2014
This review is from: Fractured (Kindle Edition)
Tawdry, wretched, with a thoroughly unlikeable narrator...oh dear. Romance does not have to mean the complete absence of personality on the part of the protagonist. This girl was pathetic, 2 dimensional and lucky to have a couple of really nice friends sorting her life out. She was irritatingly martyr-like, almost as bad as the kid in Twilight! l read it to the very predictable end but just wanted to throw the book at Rachel's head.
l feel cheated out of the couple of hours I spent reading this...

The Dark Lord Of Derkholm (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Dark Lord Of Derkholm (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Diana Wynne Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Wynne Jones, 21 Oct. 2013
Absolute classic. Delightful and engaging. A quirky twist on the fantasy genre with Diana Wynne Jones' typically well observed and slightly dysfunctional family at the heart. Jolly good fun.

Bedlam
Bedlam
by Christopher Brookmyre

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little too much pointless detail, 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Bedlam (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this, but it's a change from Brookmyre's usual style and I wished there was more of his acerbic wit in there. There was an impressive level of detail, but I felt that it added little to the story at times.

An entertaining romp!

MaddAddam
MaddAddam
by Margaret Atwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed!, 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: MaddAddam (Hardcover)
I expected great things and was not disappointed. It was particularly effective seeing the links between peripheral characters from the previous two novels. I was most impressed at the philosophical questions which were being considered. A good novel should transcend mere entertainment and this one did, I questioned my interactions with and contributions to the world at large.

Attwood at her best.

Gingerbread Man
Gingerbread Man

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and sensationalist., 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Gingerbread Man (Kindle Edition)
Oh dear. Poorly drawn and stereotypical characters - women who faint when things get too much? Seriously? - and an entirely predictable plot which was so obvious that I thought there had to be a twist on the way combined to make an unsatisfying read. The pace was excellent, I read to find out what happened next, but the characters were thoroughly unlikeable in their stubbornness.

I expected a lot more because of the reviews but I was really disappointed. I felt I could have written the next chapter every time something dramatic occurred. Perhaps I've read too many thrillers.

I wouldn't recommend.

Irregular Choice Women's In My Dreams Pink T Straps Heels 2654-70B 6 UK
Irregular Choice Women's In My Dreams Pink T Straps Heels 2654-70B 6 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 25 Aug. 2013
Absolutely stunning and a total bargain. They need a bit of breaking in, the back is high up the heel and they are stiff so hopefully they will soften a little.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy 1): Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy: Book One

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and beautifully described, 25 Aug. 2013
This is a wonderfully imaginative novel. I loved the device of short chapters, it really kept me hooked.
The evocative setting of Prague and the mystery of the otherworldly characters is delightfully explored and the lead character is likeable and interesting. I devoured it and its sequel.

Tefal Toast N' Egg TT550015 Toaster - 2 Slice - Black
Tefal Toast N' Egg TT550015 Toaster - 2 Slice - Black
Offered by K.K. Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 16 Jan. 2013
What a great idea! This makes better boiled eggs than when I use a saucepan! The poached egg is also fabulous.

Toast wise it does a great job, you put the toast in at 90 degrees rather than vertically.

I find it relatively swift. It does the whole job in 2 minutes for me.

Saves so much time in the mornings. I can't believe I am raving about such a peculiar gadget but it really is worth it!

My only gripe, it could be more aesthetically pleasing.

A great toast and egg maker. Well done Tefal.

The Marriage Plot
The Marriage Plot
by Jeffrey Eugenides

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and readable., 17 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Marriage Plot (Paperback)
While not in the same league as Euginides previous works this was nonetheless an entertaining read. The main characters were suitably sympathetic while still being flawed and the plot was not hackneyed.

There was a lot of emphasis on the deconstructionists towards the beginning which made me recall those heady undergraduate days, but happily the storyline moved on from that swiftly.

It is an easy read, compelling and enjoyable. I recommend it.

The Somnambulist
The Somnambulist

2.0 out of 5 stars Well titled..., 9 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Somnambulist (Kindle Edition)
As another reviewer suggested, this promised a lot but ultimately failed to deliver.

The story was predictable from the first chapter. This tale needed to rely on mystery and intrigue so to choose such a hackneyed storyline was odd.

The characters were largely unlikeable. It's not compulsory for characters to be likeable but to make a protagonist so pathetic...she was an insufferable little martyr! I couldn't bring myself to care about her save that I wanted to give her a slap.

Mr and Mrs Samuels were an interesting pair. I had some scraps of sympathy for them. I wonder if it helped that their appearances in the book were largely in third person narrative.

What drove me truly up the wall was the clunky change in POV, the lack of clarity in terms of signifiers (I re-read several paragraphs because it just was not clear to whom the word s/he was referring...father/son/mother/daughter etc!)

Phoebe's chapters are written in the first person...although without any real insight into her character, or lack thereof.

On the whole, The Somnambulist struck me as a good idea, but not quite fully realised yet.

Page: 1 | 2