Profile for Pusspuss > Reviews

Content by Pusspuss

Pusspuss "pusspuss" (Newcastle, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Why don't they make them like this any more?, 4 Mar. 2012
This is a wonderful book. I received my (secondhand) copy a feww weeks ago and I am completely charmed by it. I read on Gertie's Sewing Blog what a fabulous book this is, and indeed! It is! First of all, it tells you all about shapes and style. Then, how to take your wardrobe through the seasons, It tells you about patterns and sewing details.

Yes, we may not wear a suit for ten years now, but this book is built on quality and style and sustainablility. Much better than modern sewing books. use this, a decent pattern, and the best fabric you can afford, and make yourself a wardrobe that'll last and always look classy.

Lisbon (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides)
Lisbon (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides)
by Kerry Walker

2.0 out of 5 stars If I hear retro-wrapping once more, I am going to scream!, 4 Mar. 2012
The author of this book seems to be obsessed with sardine can wrappers, as they appear on at least five places in the book. And there is a lot of "retro-wrapping", whatever that may be. Yes, if you are under 25 years old, obsessed with retro and vintage shops, and have never seen an old-school sardine can, this book might be new and exciting, and actually tell you something new, but other than that - it's too small, not detailed on the sights, the maps are piss-poor and there's too heavy an emphasis on shopping and eating, with at least half of the listings comepletely out of date.

We took this to Lisbon along with my 2007 "Time Out" which I bought on ebay for pennies, and the Time Out proved far superior, although some restaurants in tehre appeared to have closed.

The Encounter has no accommodation in it, relying on you to book one online before you arrive. The Arrival Information is totally wrong. It appears that the Airport Bus ticket at 3.90 EURO is the best option on Public Transport, allowing you unlimited free trips for 24 hours. Likewise, the Prepaid Cards don;t get accepted on the Airport Bus, so if your trip is a short one, just buy subsequent airport bus tickets (provided you don't use the Metro). A local at the bus stop told us this - no word int eh guide. This is the kind of thing I used to buy Lonely Planet Guides for, but this one is poor on everyhting - barely two lines for the city's biggest sights, outdated information, lots of trendy talk.

Perfectly useless and insubstantial. I would not waste my money on this.

Secondhand Chic: Finding Fabulous Fashion at Consignment, Vintage, and Thrift Shops
by Christa Weil

4.0 out of 5 stars Great content, poorly executed, 11 Jun. 2011
This books content is great and really useful - even if you don't buy a lot of secondhand clothes. It is really useful in recognising quality and how to care for garments. However, think twice about giving this book as a gift. The execution is just appalling. There are some simple line drawings in the book, which are okay but not terribly exciting. Paper quality and especially print quality are poor. My book looks like a bad photocopy. It's bound in some flimsy gloss paper that is warped already in its new state. Even just reading the book is quite difficult as the print quality os so poor. A shame, as this is really an extremely well-written book.

The Handbag and Wellies Yoga Club
The Handbag and Wellies Yoga Club
by Lucy Edge

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much yoga!, 22 Jan. 2011
The title of this book is misleading. it should read "middle-aged, middle-class and desperate with a bit of yoga thrown in" I bought this on the strength of Yoga School Dropout, but this book really disappoints. Disjointed narrative, a lot about conception in middle age, and some of it not accurate, too, in short, a fairly boring autobiographic snippet. There isn;t much happening in the countryside, and the author doesn't have the creativity or wit to turn a rather boring story into anything engaging.

Something I'm Not
Something I'm Not
by Lucy Beresford

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh! Hit me hard with the kitchen sink!, 9 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Something I'm Not (Paperback)
I picked it up, because, being female and not so hot on breeding, I thought it dealt with an important issue, but oh! the style of writing was cringeworthy. Compare it to a popular psychology lecture gone wrong. The mishmash of characters drawn from London's upper middle classes, complete with cliches anda token gay vicvar thrown in, were like from some literary random generator, the dialogues twisted and completely illogical at times, and many of the protagonists actions just didn't make sense. Looking at the blurb in the back of the book, I discovered to my great shock that its author features regularly on TV, so I did some light background research - seems here's another pop psychologist (3 scientific presentations so far) anting to see their book published as the numerous book reviews in in the Torygraph and the Spectator wouldn't cut it any more. if you like to reasd some psychodrivel for amusement, give this book a try, if you are seriously thinking about the subject matter on whether to have children or not, then look elsewhere.

Christ and Culture (Torchbooks)
Christ and Culture (Torchbooks)
by H. Richard Niebuhr

4.0 out of 5 stars A work of Greatness, but needs more guidance notes, 9 Jan. 2011
It's a surprise that after fifty eventful years, this book is still cited as as standard text in Christian Ethics. It is a very scholarly read, hard to understand in passsages, requring re-reading for its phantastically contorted sentences for which, in my mothers tongue, Thomas Mann is so famous for, but in the end, it's an incredibly rewarding book. it would be interesting so see a similar contemporary work throwing some stick at the yet uncontested views of the anti-religious populist Richard Dawkins (apart from a few rather preachy little volumes written in response to his massively successful work) - someone with the brains of Niebuhr and the gift to write something a bit more popular. Ethics (or the thought about it) is greatly lacking in today's mostly secular society, and while only a few will read this, something more, err, practical would be Peter Singer's 'Practical Ethics' from the early 90's - a little controversial itself, written from a secular perspective but glass-clear, easy to read test and perhaps a stepping stone for those interested in ethics. Practical Ethics

There is 'Christ and Culture Revisited' by DA Carson, which perhaps might be another useful aide when tackling this book. Christ and culture revisited
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 8:34 PM BST

High Maintenance
High Maintenance
by Jennifer Belle

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp and hilarious, 9 Jan. 2011
This review is from: High Maintenance (Paperback)
Having been introduced to Belle's sharp witty style by ways of 'Little Stalker', this was an equally good read, and as a current househunter, this was hilarious. I love New York and its apartments, most of which I have seen on TV and in books, in some of which I have stayed, and lets be honest, estate agents are good fodder for a humorous novel, right? Having just started 'Going Down', which is a touch cruder than this book, there seems to be a certain evolvement of her style - harsh and bratty in the early books, more refined but no less witty in the later ones. I really think this is a greatly entertaining book, the small chapters make it easy to be read on the bus or while waiting, and its never predictable, except for the fact that men are usually protrayed as useless, cruel, and stupid sad bast*rds. Not that I've got a problem with that.

Little Stalker
Little Stalker
by Jennifer Belle

5.0 out of 5 stars Its GOOD!, 27 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Little Stalker (Paperback)
I love this book - the title photo says boring chicklit, but inside is a polished novel full of quirky with and a wonderful, if somewhat bizarre ending. Its characters are very New York, and one really feels the author has lived here for long rather than just 'set' the novel in some trendy place. I am quite picky when it comes to entertaining reads, and have pretty much outgrown the fluffier yet one-dimensional reads of Jane Green, Polly Williams and other shallow offerings- this is quite different. Highly recommened.

Men!: Forget the fiction! Where are the interesting and available men?
Men!: Forget the fiction! Where are the interesting and available men?
by Isabel Losada

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh, get a grip, woman! A nice way to make money on us singletons, though, 21 Nov. 2010
So, I gather this is a book about the lonesome forty-something finding love. Crikey, this fortysomething woman must be quite out of touch with the world, if she goes on a systematic search of eligible men in motocycle clubs and the Royal Society. Does she not know that the higher-ranking in our society the men, the more they are likely to me married and if they are sending out the signals, they might just be looking for an encounter? An entertaining read, helped by the nice fluent style of writing, but the content, oh dear oh dear! This lady should see the professional matchmaker or something. Oh, wait? Is there a book about professional matchmaker in the book? The book is getting on a bit now, so what used to be hot and fresh in 2005, like speed dating, is a bit worn out old hat by now. She totally omits the really reliable ways of meeting decent men with a bit of brain and their own money, like, getting friends to rally around to see if they have someone suitable, or nice enjoyable predominantly male hobbies like camera clubs and cycling clubs. I happen to enjoy photography and met some really nice unattached men there . Having met my fiance on ebay (I bought something from him when I really, really wasn't looking for love), I would recommend this, too, although you will have to buy things locally and you may spend a lot of money this way. Guardian Soulmates is also worth a look, although their telephone rates are extortionate and I have had rather mixed feedback from friends lately.

Having not yet hit the big 4-0, I found this entertaining but completely useless book. It is perhaps very attractive looking for someone earnestly looking for love, but don;t expect to be any wiser after reading this, single girls.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2012 4:24 PM GMT

The Bride's Guide To Unique Weddings
The Bride's Guide To Unique Weddings
by Sarah Ivens

2.0 out of 5 stars Please, guide me away from the Modern Girl's Wisdom!, 21 Nov. 2010
Sarah Ivens has a nice line in girly advice books and I wish I'd have known before I bought the guide to 'unique' weddings. I was looking for some cheap yet special ideas for my own wedding, and this book just hashes up what is widely and freely available in the internet anyway. Without pictures and on cheap paper, this book is neither unique nor special, and neither are the wedding ideas peddled in the book. You'd get tons more inspiration by visiting wedding blogs with pictures, than this dry and uninspired book, which I tossed away after 50 pages of trying really hard. You'll be wasting your cash on this one, although now I have discovered some hilarious-sounding works in the collected wisdom of Sarah Ivens (The Modern Girls Guide to Dynamic Dating, anyone? Or should that be a Modern Girls Guide to the perfect Single Life? Cannot make up your mind? Too bad - until the next little book of wise words by Mr Ivens comes out, that is. How about 'The Modern Girls Guide to giving a Rat's Behind about anything"?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4