Profile for Rokkit > Reviews

White Tiger [DVD]
White Tiger [DVD]
Dvd ~ Karen Shakhnazarov

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost excellent., 25 May 2013
This review is from: White Tiger [DVD] (DVD)
When I first tried to write a review for this film, I ended up writing an essay instead, as the film (or the first 90% of it anyway) made a great impression on me. OK, so here's the abridged version. Good points: Tank enthusiasts will love it. T34's, SU's, JS's, in abundance. Even British and American tanks are present,but they're either stationary or wrecked. The tiger itself seems to be modelled on the rare Porsche type with extra armour added. Tons of attention to detail.The tanks, equipment, scenery, everything looks right and the film is superbly shot and convincing. I only saw one instance of a Panzer 4 with a T34 suspension in a short shot,easily missed. Battle sequences and acting excellent. Reality check: Would your tank gun barrel really split open if you fired it when there was mud stuck in the end? I could see this might happen with high explosive shells which detonated on impact,but if you're attacking a tiger you'd be firing AP shot,which wouldn't. Hmmmmm! Humorous addition: In a short scene,a tanker is seen wearing a top hat over his usual headgear. An underhand tribute to Porta from the excellent war novels of Sven Hassel? Bad Points: The last 10% of the film. What happened there? Suddenly the War's over, nothing's resolved or explained, end of film, full stop. After the glorious overload of the senses in the first part of the film I felt very cheated. In short, a remarkable film which could have been a war winner, but let down by the abrupt ending.

The Mall
The Mall
by S. L. Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars Shop elsewhere !!, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Mall (Paperback)
I'm sorry, but I can't understand how this book got so many good reviews! I've been a fan of the genre for many years, and I have to say that this just doesn't make the grade. If you're a fan of Stephen King or Dean Koontz you'll find this pale and insubstantial in comparison. The characters (there's only two main ones) are unlikeable, there's way,way too much profanity right from the first sentence, and the storyline whilst a novel idea seems to be weird just for weird's sake. There's no logic to the events,no reason for things to be happening,and no explanation or conclusion. All of the elements for a great horror story are there, but mixed up into a mish-mash which fails to make the mark on so many levels. Might pass the time on a boring train journey,but you'll probably want to leave it on the seat for the next unwitting passenger. Go and shop in a more upmarket mall for your horror.

Flames of War Model Kit - LVT-4 Water Buffalo & Passengers - 1:100 Scale - BBX26
Offered by Models4hobby

4.0 out of 5 stars As fragile as a basket of eggs!, 2 Mar 2013
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
More highly detailed models from FoW/Battlefront.The box contains 2 LVTs. Good points are the very varied gun options (30 cal,50 cal and 20mm cannon) and the large amount of crew figures supplied in the box. The only downside I would say is that the resin cargo compartment has very brittle and thin sides,so much so that you can see daylight through it in places! A normal amount of handling will cause holes to appear. These will be covered up by the metal track units when applied,but care must be taken not to put glue on this area as the sides will not support the weight of the tracks, with the result that the tracks will fall off and rip a large hole in your model. If you restrict glue to the front and rear of the track assemblies you should be OK. In all then, a good pair of models but handle very, very carefully!!

UBX28 Flames Of War Sherman Platoon (Late M4A3)
UBX28 Flames Of War Sherman Platoon (Late M4A3)
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!, 28 Feb 2013
I normally leave reviews if the item is either very good, or very bad. I've often said that FoW/Battlefront models are the best you can get in 15mm scale, but that they can sometimes suffer from quality issues, particularly with twisted hulls making the model unusable. This is often seen in these box sets, so following my bad experience with the M4A3E8 box set (see my review) I approached this set with some trepidation. I needn't have worried. This set is perfect. The new plastic parts have much better detail than the old metal ones, no flash to remove, and paint up very well. The resin hulls and turrets have tons of crisp detail and not a bent hull in sight!! The finished models look fantastic and far better than any of my 100's of other vehicles. FoW/Battlefront, you've got a winner here. This is how they SHOULD be made! Flawless. Deserves more than 5 stars.

Sound of Drums, the
Sound of Drums, the

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Great., 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Sound of Drums, the (Audio CD)
I found out about this release quite by chance,as the album had been put back many months due to production difficulties and I eventually stopped looking for it. After I purchased it, it promptly disappeared again and at the present time is only available as an Australian import on Ebay. So,was it worth the wait? Well....Just about. The Rogue Traders unique musical style is still there,but I have to say that the new lead singer isn't a patch on the original. The singer's not bad,but Natalie was a hard act to follow. Possibly due to her acting career,Nat had a powerful,clear voice and was capable of injecting tons of energy and emotion into her songs. The new singer struggles to match that,and at times the lyrics are unclear and her voice gets buried in the music. Also,the guys sing on a few of the tracks.(I've always maintained that the Rogues should leave the singing to the lady!!).One of these tracks sounds like rap,of which I'm very much not a fan,and has no place here. (Put a "c" in front of rap to get my opinion!) In total though it's a decent album,the "Best of" disc 2 is good,but the overall package could have been great. Natalie is sorely missed.

Panzerjäger vs KV-1 (Duel)
Panzerjäger vs KV-1 (Duel)
by Robert Forczyk

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 21 Oct 2012
This is the best book I've come across to date on the subject. It clearly and concisely details the German's struggle in the first few years of the Russian campaign when trying to deal with the tanks of the heavy KV series,and the steps taken with rapid improvements in gun and ammunition technology to try to deal with this problem. Many details are given of the various KV models including armour stats,and of the opposing German weapon's penetration data and introduction into service dates of guns and ammunition used. As with all Osprey duel books it's fairly short,but all of the information you could ask for is there. Highly recommended.

Halcyon
Halcyon
Offered by mrtopseller

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment., 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Halcyon (Audio CD)
I was completely blown away by Ellie's first album, and eagerly expected this new release. I have to say though that I feel very let down. This album is nothing like as good as the first. Ellie has a truly fantastic, original voice. Why spoil this with excessive computer augmentation? In particular the track where she is sped up to cartoon character speed is nothing but awful. As for the track with the rapper, what was she thinking?? Mixing Ellie's beautiful voice with that of a rapper is like putting together a rose and a chainsaw !! The only track worth listening to in my opinion is Anything can happen, and even that is spoilt as it's been remixed and isn't the same version that's been played on radio and tv over the last few weeks to advertise the album.Don't get me wrong, as I said, I loved the first album and I think Ellie has a talent that's increasingly rare these days. This album just completely fails to do justice to that.

Battlefield In A Box Rural Road Expansion Set (BB140)
Battlefield In A Box Rural Road Expansion Set (BB140)
Offered by Jac in a box

4.0 out of 5 stars Mismatched Roads, 18 July 2012
I've reviewed several FoW items now,mainly the vehicles,and have often said that these are the best you can get although they do have a few problems,and the same applies to these road sections. On the plus side it's great to be able to create a detailed road layout, and the addition of the railway crossing and rural to cobblestone road transition piece are brilliant and well thought out, blending perfectly with the other cobblestone roads and railway tracks available from FoW. I had a problem though in that my previously purchased rural roads are a completely different colour to these expansion pieces. Whereas my existing roads are a muddy brown colour, in this set it appears that they went way overboard on the highlighting colour so that you have sandy coloured roads with a few brown bits looking more like desert roads than rural ones. As they're supposed to be an expansion to your earlier roads this looks a bit poor. I was going to return mine for exchange to see if other sets were better,but in the end I got great results by repainting them myself using a sample pot of "warm chocolate" paint from a DIY store. The finished items looked far better than the originals!!

Flames of War Boxed Sets - M4A3E8 Easy Eight - FWUBX26
Flames of War Boxed Sets - M4A3E8 Easy Eight - FWUBX26
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so Easy Eight !!, 30 April 2012
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
I've written a few reviews for FoW products and have always maintained that they are the best models you can buy in this class. They do have a few drawbacks though. Although the resin parts have much more detail than the metal ones supplied by other manufacturers,they don't stick together as well and sometimes (rarely) suffer from bubbles in the resin causing holes in the bodywork. The major problem though is that quite often the vehicle bodies are twisted so badly that they are unusable. This is very bad with the larger tanks. Some years ago every Russian KV type that I purchased had this problem,which is why all my KV 1,2 and 85s are now from other producers. More recently I purchased the box sets of KV3,KV5 and TOG tanks from the Mid War Monsters range and only got one or two usable models from each box set. This is normally not a problem with tanks the size of these Shermans though,so I was dismayed to find that two of the five tanks were deformed in this way. The main issue however was that all of the tank tracks were very poorly cast. The right hand tracks were much wider and taller at the front than those on the left,and the left hand tracks were wider and taller at the back. The problem was so bad I almost gave up on them,but I eventually managed to get two passable tanks and one slightly wobbly one by borrowing a friend's precision tools and jig. In short then, I still think FoW models are the best you can get re the detail on the resin parts, but they really need to improve their quality control !! Sorry FoW,you let me down on this one. Two stars. [I've added this bit here in brackets at a later date. See my review for the M4A3 late tank box set to get the other side of the coin!].

Breadcrumbs [DVD]
Breadcrumbs [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alana Curry

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor !, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Breadcrumbs [DVD] (DVD)
I've watched a lot of horror films, so I like to think I know a little bit about the subject. Believe me then when I say this film is dire. Rubbish story, "evil" kids with about as much menace as Shrek, and killings/injuries that were very poorly portrayed. I stuck it all the way through in the hope that it'd get better, but it didn't ! If you're looking for a good horror film, look elsewhere because this isn't one. I'm not even sure what it is. Think disappointing,meaningless and tame and you're on the right track. Terrible. Avoid.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6