Profile for Jay > Reviews

Content by Jay

Jay

BELKIN CNS08UKT-2M Surge Protector with Timer - 8 Output Connectors (2 mains power sockets remain on, other 6 switch off on a POWER SAVER timer or via remote control supplied)

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be useful with proper functions, 4 Oct. 2012
This will drive you mad as it auto powers off after 11 hours and only gives you the slightest of warnings. Many gaming sessions totally ruined by this thing shutting everything down!! You need an option to totally disable the timer (therefore just having a handy on/off switch)OR it needs to make a tone to warn when it's about to turn off. I literally HATE this thing now...

Why Does E=mc2?
Why Does E=mc2?
by Brian Cox

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled..., 2 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Why Does E=mc2? (Paperback)
I bought this after many years of wondering the exact title of the book...

Having read every word of it I am literally no clearer on the answer and maybe even a little more confused. They state that they have written it for 'anyone' to understand - I think what they meant was 'anyone with A level maths and who is about to start a physics degree' - because throughout most of this book I had absolutely no idea what they were rambling on about and got bored stiff of the 5 - 10 page equation "explanations"...

Seriously, just don't waste your time unless you have a keen interest in maths or are thinking of taking physics at college - otherwise you will get a headache every time you pick it up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2011 7:37 PM GMT

Green & Black's Beer & Bars
Green & Black's Beer & Bars
Offered by Green & Black's Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it..., 7 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Green & Black's Beer & Bars (Wine)
I bought this thinking it would be an ideal gift for a friend of mine, but when it all just arrived chucked in a cardboard box with polystyrene bits I wasn't entirely impressed... For the money I would expect at least some kind of proper packaging - especially when it is being sold as a gift item.

For less money I could have just gone and bought the chocolate and beer separately and had money spare to buy a decent gift box. Not worth it...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2011 3:45 PM BST

Big, Soft, Chewy Cookies: More Than 75 Recipes for the Best Cookies in the World
by Jill Van Cleave

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great..., 1 Dec. 2010
The US measurements are a tad annoying - you don't really want to be converting 'sticks' of butter and 'cups' of sugar when you just want to get on with making some cookies. But what is really disappointing is the lack of ANY pictures... I've no idea if what I'm making is anything like the expected results or not.

I feel there must be better out there.

Qualcast Panther 30 Hand Powered Cylinder Lawnmower (30 cm Cutting Width) (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost great, 1 Dec. 2010
I bought this after tiring of the weekly fight with my flymo...

I actually enjoy cutting the grass now! This little thing stores 10 x more easily than the flymo and I don't put my shoulder out when trying to wrench it in and out of my shed. It is quick and easy to use and I get the job done faster now too.

My only slight grievances with it are that the plastic bracket that holds the roller & grass catcher just isn't secured well enough. It relies on a bolt which you can use to adjust the roller height, but this doesn't stop the bracket from getting pushed about and moving on you so you can end up with a wonky roller... I also wasn't greatly impressed with the nuts and bolts you get to construct it - I opted for using my own in some places.

Overall though, I love this little guy and will never be going back to flymos again.

The Totally Interactive Guitar Bible (Tutor Bk,Guit Facts, DVD & CD)
The Totally Interactive Guitar Bible (Tutor Bk,Guit Facts, DVD & CD)
by Dave Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comprehensive learning buddy, 1 Dec. 2010
After struggling for years on and off with a horrible dated 'teach yourself guitar' book I bought this to try something new, and I am very glad I did.

The guitar guide gives you a great idea of all the different makers over the years, from the big names to the no longer existing - it really builds up an understanding of the modern guitar story.

The DVD is ok... Not really of much use and you only get to hear several different guitars.

The lessons and CD are great. Unlike my other 'teach yourself' book, this one actually explains why chords are chords and how they are built around scales etc... It is also divided into defined sections from blues to heavy metal - so you get a feel for each style of music and how they use guitar techniques differently. The songs in each section build in difficulty gradually, so you can progress through them at your own pace, and the CD helps a lot because you can hear what you're meant to sound like!

I wish I had bought this years ago because instead of struggling along and not really wanting to play the songs in the book I had, I would have progressed much faster and actually enjoyed my practice.

If you're just starting on guitar, this will be a great companion!

Nigella Lawson Living Kitchen Melamine Measuring Cups Set of 4 Black
Nigella Lawson Living Kitchen Melamine Measuring Cups Set of 4 Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Over sold, 1 Dec. 2010
Don't be fooled by the shimmering classy photo's of Nigella and her cups... These are simply black plastic cups with a measurement on the bottom - I feel there is better out there somewhere.

Wild and Wolf Scrabble Mug G
Wild and Wolf Scrabble Mug G
Offered by addedpeppa

3.0 out of 5 stars ..., 1 Dec. 2010
Not much to comment on the mug itself - it's a mug. But it came in no packaging at all, just bubble wrap... So not ideal as a gift.

The Christmas Carols Book for Easy Guitar
The Christmas Carols Book for Easy Guitar
by Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's Rudolph?!, 1 Dec. 2010
This is a well presented song book, BUT it uses standard musical notation NOT TAB. The chords don't seem to sound correct on some of the songs (I think they've tried to simplify them), and I haven't heard of 90% of the songs - also, with Rudolph the red nosed reindeer missing it seems fatally flawed!!

Definitely look for a more concise collection of the absolute classics...