Profile for J. D. Berry > Reviews

Content by J. D. Berry

J. D. Berry "Klaus" (Nottingham)

Page: 1 | 2
Catastrophe Ballet
Catastrophe Ballet
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An early goth/death rock classic, 12 Feb 2011
This review is from: Catastrophe Ballet (Audio CD)
This is when Christian Death were in their prime. This CD has quite of few of the early Christian Death classics. Whether that be The Drowning, Sleepwalk or Awake at the Wall. This is goth rock at its best - the use of guitar, bass, drums, some keyboards, avant garde vocals and unsettling lyrics dealing with matters of a macabre nature. I believe that when Rozz Williams was fronting things was when Christian Death delivered their best music. Apart from Atrocities, where Valor takes the lead, Christian Death never really achieved the greatness of their early stuff with Rozz Williams. It is such a shame that Rozz Williams is no longer with us, but maybe that adds to his mystique as a true goth rock legend.

DETACHMENTS
DETACHMENTS
Offered by davidw_1212
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Retro synthpop, 12 Feb 2011
This review is from: DETACHMENTS (Audio CD)
A real synthpop experience which will bring back memories for those of you that experienced the 80's. I like the way they have used retro sounding analogue synths. Perhaps the overall effect is not very original, but that did not bother me particularly because I believe Detachments do it well. The highlight is Holiday Romance. This is a really catchy synthpop classic and should do regular rotations at darkwave and synthpop clubs. The only criticism of the CD is the sound production - on occasions the vocals get lost in the overall scheme of things. Maybe this was intentionally, not sure. Despite this, I think this is a must have for darkwave and synthpop fans, new and old. Looking forward to their follow up.

Violet Cries
Violet Cries
Price: 7.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Ethereal brilliance, 12 Feb 2011
This review is from: Violet Cries (Audio CD)
I went to see Esben and the Witch in Nottingham in early Feb 2011. I had heard their stuff on myspace and I has also seen the reviews. I have to say I was looking forward to the gig and was not disappointed. They produced a real stirring performance using an array of great sound effects, kettle drums and ethereal vocals. Anyway, following the gig, I was looking forward to hearing Violet Cries, and was also not disappointed either. There is no band like them at the moment. They write very eclectic songs, big on atmosphere and subtlety. The singer sounds like Siouxsie Sioux, but also has her own distinct style. The highlight of the album for me is Chorea - this is a brilliant song with excellent soundscapes, and words probably do not do it justice. If you want to here something different, and like 'real' indie bands that write songs from the heart, then give this CD a try. You will not be disappointed.

Remixed
Remixed
Price: 6.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Not v good - too much disco! What????, 12 Jan 2011
This review is from: Remixed (Audio CD)
Maybe I should have done more research before I bought this CD, but I was very disappointed when I put it into the CD player. There is too much cheesy mainstream dance music for my liking and it does not work well with the material of O-Children. This remix CD would have been a damn sight better if the band had approached remix artists who wanted to preserve at least some of the darker elements present on O-Children's album proper. All in all, I would say that this CD is a bit of an oddity and I sadly cannot recommend it to anyone. I am not sure whose idea it was to remix O-Children's tracks with some very cheesy dance music, but it does not work, and the remixes are more akin to Kylie Minogue not O-Children.

Blackout in the Red Room
Blackout in the Red Room

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of sleeze rock n roll, 8 Sep 2009
This is a great album and stands the test of time in my view. When it first came out, it was clear to me that Love/Hate has recorded an album with great songs end to end. The production is great too. And to cap it all, the lead singer has a great voice. Maybe if this album had come out in 1986 (ish) I am certain that Love Hate may have had more impact. That aside, this is great album from a great band who deserved more success than they got. I saw them live in Nottingham recently (2009) and they were still able to deliver the songs and the performance of old.

Veckatimest
Veckatimest
Price: 9.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Eclectic indie rock, 25 July 2009
This review is from: Veckatimest (Audio CD)
I first saw this band on the Jool's Holland show earlier in the year. I think they played 'two weeks' which intrigued me and I wanted to hear more so I bought the album and was not disappointed. The first two tracks are the strongest in my opinion, but there are some great moments on the rest of the CD. This band are technically very able and this becomes apparent when you hear the whole album. There are some very creative moments on the CD which really capture your attention. That said, I have to be in the right mood to listen to this, but I would recommend this anyone who wants to hear something new in a music scene where perhaps we keep getting deja vu when we hear most new acts.

In Ghost Colours
In Ghost Colours

4.0 out of 5 stars Great retro 80s experience, 25 July 2009
This review is from: In Ghost Colours (Audio CD)
I recently bought this CD on the strength of the reviews on Amazon and having heard the songs via preview. I really like this CD, whilst it is not offering anything that new, I really connected with the 80s retro sound and creative use of synth and guitar sounds. I suppose any review is subjective, but for anyone that enjoys solid 80s synth pop this is a must buy.

Very Best Of Love/Hate
Very Best Of Love/Hate
Price: 9.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped, 27 Jun 2009
This review is from: Very Best Of Love/Hate (Audio CD)
This CD is probably not worth buying. I love Blackout in the End Red Room - there is an energy and sound quality that makes this CD one of the best of its time. However, this CD consists of remixes of the originals and the sound quality and energy level is just not as good as on Blackout in the Red Room.

West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
Price: 5.53

2.0 out of 5 stars Not particularly good really...too much hype, 27 Jun 2009
The new Kasabian CD is an overall disappointment when you compare with all the other good music available over the last 10 years. This album is weak and I think over time this will be realised by most people. Like with all CDs, time is the best judge. and I am confident that people will not rate this as a classic or even good in the next few years. Enough said! Do not waste your money.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2009 9:22 AM BST

Sun And The Moon: Complete [Us Import]
Sun And The Moon: Complete [Us Import]
Offered by classicmusic
Price: 12.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a very good follow up album..., 24 Jun 2009
I really liked the first album. It had some good ideas and generally sounded fresh and innovative at the time of release. I have to say though this CD is disappointing. There is nothing new on here and the songs are pretty dour and uninspiring. If you consider that The Killers were compared with The Bravery (and vice versa)when they first both emerged on the scene, and when you consider what has happened to both bands since then, this is probably evidence enough and explains why The Bravery have not followed up on their early promise and The Killers have gone from strength to strength. I would avoid the Sun and the Moon. I have no highlights to report either.

Page: 1 | 2