Profile for Lucy Lynch > Reviews

The Reason I Jump: One Boy's Voice from the Silence of Autism
The Reason I Jump: One Boy's Voice from the Silence of Autism
by Naoki Higashida

5.0 out of 5 stars Insight not just for those with autism, 29 July 2013
Excellent and anything that is written that brings out into the mainstream the experience of autism is hugely to be welcomed.
Naoki thinks that life out here in the 'normal' world is unlike his but he should understand that for some of us 'out' here, what he writes provides a perfect insight. My son has a sensory integration disorder and it became clear to me, so do I. This is not treated as on the autistic spectrum but we have similarities. What I found so well articulated here was how my memory works and I was able to show my husband Q19 'What are your flashback memories like?' as the perfect explanation as to why on our recent holiday when I was presented with some fish that I had not ordered, the tears slid helplessly down my face. Luckily for me, my family have long ago learned to 'stay with' me. What must not be forgotten however is that these are Naoki's responses and not a definitive answer. My son could for example write a much clearer answer on 'why are you so picky about what you eat?'! So to all those reading this as a guide to those around them - don't forget that each and every experience is different and to be honoured.

Where Is Koocanusa Board Game
Where Is Koocanusa Board Game
Offered by Harry's Department Store

5.0 out of 5 stars For all 'where is Moldova' lovers and more, 12 Mar. 2013
This is a sister game to 'Where is Moldova' but is an even better one than that. The aim is to gain a chain of 5 or more states in Canada and/or the USA. You move around the board landing on squares that entitle you to try to gain a state either by: rolling some number or combination of numbers with dice; by answering a question or naming a bordering state to the one on a card. You can also gain states back from other players by challenging or stealing. So knowledge of the states is handy but not vital - as you play the game your knowledge increases and that makes it interesting. Also interest is kept going by developing tactics and the ebb and flow of losing and gaining states. Depending on how a game goes, it can take as little as 10 minutes but generally about 30-40 minutes, so it is not too demanding of your time. We are a family - 15 and 18 year old and they both enjoy it as do those a bit younger. Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2013 9:59 AM GMT

Mongoose Cricket Kids Premium Wheelie Kit Bag - Black, Medium (Old Version)
Mongoose Cricket Kids Premium Wheelie Kit Bag - Black, Medium (Old Version)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Jun. 2012
This bag is larger than many boys bags and so is excellent for my son who is nearly 15 but not tall. He can wheel it to the station and then to his club easily; unlike several bags it does not twist and turn as he walks.

CrickiLeaks: The Secret Ashes Diaries
CrickiLeaks: The Secret Ashes Diaries
by Alan Tyers

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Sept. 2011
After the hilarity of their W. C. Grace Ate My Pedalo, this is a laboured effort, raising few spontaneous laughs. Would not recommend this.

Fodor's Montreal & Quebec City 2011
Fodor's Montreal & Quebec City 2011
by Fodor Travel Publications

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic guide, 9 Sept. 2011
This guide Is by far the best guide on Eastern Canada. It's recommendations were spot on. The only information missing is on the route running back along the St Lawrence form Quebec, e.g. Trois Rivieres.

French Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
French Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
by Lonely Planet

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for 40 somethings, 9 Sept. 2011
Whilst I found it entertaining to read to my teen children the various phrases on meeting and bedding people, it was not the most useful phrase book for your average family holiday.

Trespass
Trespass
by Rose Tremain

4.0 out of 5 stars Not slow, not boring, 15 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Trespass (Hardcover)
I write this as I disagree so strongly with the gentleman who called this boring. I know some reviewers have suggested this is a thriller because of its suspense but it is instead a fine novel and I think one of Rose Tremain's best. The evocation of landscape - what was considered boring by the other reviewer - is a vital part of the plot's title - trespass upon an enclosed community. I had to slow myself down in the reading. I think the outcome of the plot is quite guessable but I didn't think that detracted from the fine characterization of persons and place. If you enjoyed Colm Toibin's Broooklyn, then I would suggest you would enjoy this; it's similar but on speed. I agree with the reviewer who suggests some of the homosexual traits (I'd say in all such characters)are something of a caricature but it is still 4 star reading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2010 1:57 PM BST

Brooklyn
Brooklyn
by Colm Toibin

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant - read it., 11 May 2009
This review is from: Brooklyn (Hardcover)
This is the best Toibin yet. I heard him speak on Radio 4 and how he had used Jane Austen's style as the discipline for writing the book - the forward only plot, no back story, something simple but with many complex layers. He also mentioned things such as the characters attend a dance, you are told about it as it happens, you are then told the discussions about it after and individual reflections as well. I think he brings it off brilliantly. Going to the previous reader's question about the ending, if you know Austen is the discipline, then the ending could be no other. Anyway, I think it's a great ending.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2009 2:07 PM BST

Morphy Richards Complements Jug Kettle 43596 Graphite
Morphy Richards Complements Jug Kettle 43596 Graphite

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 3 Sept. 2008
I have had this kettle for about a year. Yes this kettle is cheap,pleasing to look at and gives useful markers for 1 cup etc. but it is not fast. It boils for quite some time until it switches off. If you live in London (or similar hard water area), you will be descaling it about once a month and within less than a week the limescale will build to slow the switch off time. Time for me to find a less electricity hungry and labour intensive kettle.

Speed Up!: a Kinaesthetic Programme to Develop Fluent Handwriting
Speed Up!: a Kinaesthetic Programme to Develop Fluent Handwriting
by Lois Addy

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have the time, this is brilliantly effective, 5 Sept. 2007
I was lent this book on recommendation and I spent the Summer hols doing it with my 10 year old son. You do need to purchase a number of specialist items (e.g. double-sided blackboard) and you need commitment from the child (a pre-selected prize was very motivational). The emphasis is on fun, with plenty of activities and exercises but effort is required. The improvements are measurable and significant. My son is very pleased with the outcome and like the other reviewer, continues with the warm-up exercises daily.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2012 11:02 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2