Profile for Steven Wilson > Reviews

Content by Steven Wilson

Steven Wilson (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! Has been reported as being shipped with spyware, 18 Jun 2014
I bought this phone a few weeks back and was really impressed. It seemed too good to be true. Well seemingly it is too good to be true. The BBC have just reported that Ebay have banned it because it has been discovered to contain spyware that apprantly can access banking details, email etc and send the data to China.

[...]

I am returning mine straight away and will not buy any unbranded phone from Amazon again. What a pity.

Inkandtoneruk- 3x Compatible 30XL Printer Ink Cartridges 2xBlack 1xColour for Kodak ESP C100 C110 C300 C310 C315 C330 C360 Office 2100 2150 2170 3.2 All-in-One 1.2 HERO 5.1 3.1 Printer
Offered by IATUK

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as clear as orignals, 7 Jun 2014
Up to trying these compatibles I had always believed that original cartridges were better and now it seems my first instincts were correct. The colour cartridge seemed to work okay but once I needed to add the black then everything went down hill. Quite simply the black texts is badly smudged on all documents, the best it could manage was to produce a substandard draft copy, certainly no good for letters or any documentation that need to be quality. Long - short is that I wouldn't buy these from Inkandtoneruk or any other compatibles supplier again. Two stars because the colour was okayish.

Love Like Jesus: Reaching Others with Passion and Purpose
Love Like Jesus: Reaching Others with Passion and Purpose

2.0 out of 5 stars Should be titled 'Evangelize Those Lost Souls', 15 Nov 2013
Just recently I have been looking to increase my compassion - not something I'm good at and so I thought a book entitled Love Like Jesus was just what I needed.

Sadly the truth is that this book has little to do with how Jesus loved but everything to do with how to grow your confidence to evangelize a lost soul. Okay you might argue, as I'm sure Judah Smith would, that the only love worth showing is that of converting someone to Christianity. However for me that was not what I was hoping for from this book and not what the title of blurb suggested.

Also it is evident when reading the book that it is a case of Judah having simply changed the title and a bit of text of an existing ten year old book to simply rejuvenate it and, one suspects, get a few more sales. What a pity that he didn't simply do the job probably and write a new book.

All in all this book is typical of its kind, it uses sparse scripture, numerous anecdotes and a little cajoling to convince you to carry the Christian message to the masses. If that's what you're looking for then maybe this is the book for you. If you are looking to learn to Love Like Jesus then I suggest this is not the book for you.

They Never Told Me This in Church!
They Never Told Me This in Church!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a powerhouse of insight, 4 July 2013
This book is a little scary to say the least. It shows, without blinking, how we can so easily read things into scripture that may not be there. This is exactly the sort of book that you would have got burnt at the stake for writing only a few hundred years ago. Fortunately though these days what seems to be a more honest interpretations of the Bible is evident. Great read and deserves a wide audience. You may need to come to it with an open mind though.

The Great Partnership: God, Science and the Search for Meaning
The Great Partnership: God, Science and the Search for Meaning
by Jonathan Sacks

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful attempt to bring two sides together, 30 Sep 2012
I have always been impressed by Jonathan Sack's attempts at moderating the extreme views expressed by both Science and Religion. He, quite rightly in my opinion, concerns himself about their vitriolic attacks that can be so dangerous. He would like to see a world where both sides are far more conciliatory which is a view I would subscribe to, so I found this book a welcome 'middle ground' read. Rabbi Sack's message is that both sides have a part to play in understanding our world and neither need to be threatened by the other. I'm not sure if this book would convince any of the hardliners on either side, but if you consider yourself a moderate in the Science verse Religion arena then I highly recommend this book.

Nintendo DSi XL Handheld Console (Red) with New Super Mario Bros - Special Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it then buy another one, 25 Jun 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
All I can say is that if you have children you should buy a DS and then you should buy another one, then go off make more children and buy one for each of them. Value for entertainment money I have never come across anything that my kids get so engrossed in. Most (but not all) of the games are compelling and absorb the child totally. With more that one they can play together. It doesn't tie up the TV. They can play it out of ear and eye shot. Although the games at first may seem expensive hour for hour I think a good game is very good value. OK so obviously I'm sold and no my kids are not forcing me to write this - they're too busy playing on one.

Samsung Series 5 Wi-Fi Chromebook (Arctic White)
Samsung Series 5 Wi-Fi Chromebook (Arctic White)

3.0 out of 5 stars Over priced but a step in the right direction, 25 Jun 2012
I have to admit I'm a great fan of Google. They have moved things in the right direction in so many areas of technology that you have to take whatever they offer with a certain amount of respect. However I do have an issue with how they (and one assume Samsung) have priced this Chromebook. £300 for a very slow processor, 16GB HDD and 2GB of Memory is simply ripping Mr Purchaser off. Having said that everything is nice and neat and works well. I can share it around without worrying that someone (my children mainly) are going to contaminate or muck up the OS. In truth it does all it sets out to do and I can only guess that one of the things it set out to do is add to Google's already extensive wealth. In short at £175 this would be a great buy at £300 there are other (maybe better) laptop options.

Harry Potter Movie Prop Gringots Movie Coin Collection
Harry Potter Movie Prop Gringots Movie Coin Collection
Offered by The Noble Collection UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks the magic of Harry Potter, 23 Jun 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
I ordered these coins in a hope of catching a little of the HP magic. I believe they are copies of the coins use on the HP film set but the design and size simply feels wrong. I have purchased my son non-noble HP stuff off a certain famous on-line auction site and the guys producing the stuff there are really catching the magic. Not sure if they have a license but they certainly understand what it is that kids (and Dads) want. All the Noble stuff feel like it's been put together by a suited committee of disinterested adults. In short then: over priced and lacking in raw magic. The coins are simply too big, too shiny and too ordinary.

Prophecy and Providence: The Fulfillment of Torah Prophecies in the Course of Jewish History
by Meir Simcha Sokolovsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book of great insight, 26 Dec 2011
I recommend this book if you would like to understand prophecy in the Jewish scripture without the Christian take on it. Written by a Jew this book presents the insights of some of the great rabbis of the past plus the addition of the authors own thoughts. I paid through the nose to get this book and have found it worth it. I most enjoyed the comparison between Lev 26 and Deut 28 and the suggestion they are talking about the two temple destructions. I felt the evidence for this idea was very strong; not something you will come across in Christian circles.

Kodak ESP C310 All-In-One WiFi Printer for Print, Copy and Scan
Kodak ESP C310 All-In-One WiFi Printer for Print, Copy and Scan

3.0 out of 5 stars Kodak make great photos poor, 26 Dec 2011
First can I say that this printer is actually reasonably good, especially the wifi function. I run three computers off it from all over the house. Also scanning and copying is Ok. So why only three stars. Well quite simply because having made up a cracking photo of my children I sent it to print on this printer and it came out dark and poor.

That Kodak, who were all about photos in my youth, should not have made sure they were at least up with the others on this is odd. Surely if you come from a photo background you produce a printer that prints photos well. Unfortunately Kodak have gone for cheap and cheerful which is fair enough but beware do not buy this or any Kodak printer if you wish to print out photos. (What a sad day when that is the case.)

Also Kodak have an annoying habit of bugging you until you update the software. No explanation as to why you need to update. Every time I turn on my PC it insists I update.

On the whole though, and to sum up, Kodak produce low end printers that MAY be cheaper to run than some (not sure about this, it seems to go through ink very quickly.) It talks to the computer nicely and the wifi function works great. However do not buy a Kodak if you want to print Photos. I'll leave it at that.

Page: 1 | 2