ARRAY(0xbdf4e5f4)

Nobody True
by James Herbert
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining ride!, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Nobody True (Paperback)
As with many of James Herberts later works, this is not a gore fest. However, what it is, is an absolute joyride of a journey into 'what if?'
Supposing you died, but you were not around when you died?
Then suppose you decided to find out the truth about what happened to you? But instead you find out a whole lot more... and most of it you'd rather you hadn't!
I loved this book!

Watchers
Watchers
by Dean Koontz
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I read this earlier?!, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: Watchers (Paperback)
I have read a number of books by Dean Koontz, and for the most part enjoyed them all. Over the last few years a number of people have recommended Watchers to me, but for one reason or another I had never gotten round to reading it. My loss!!
This book is a tour de force! An utterly fantastic read with great plot and characterization. A story about two mutant creatures, one good and one evil, and the people whose lives cross their paths. At the end though, it is difficult not to feel sympathy for the rogue creature, as it too is a victim.

The Fifth Seal: The Rise of Petrus Romanus
The Fifth Seal: The Rise of Petrus Romanus
Price: 1.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Well that was hard going!!, 7 Feb 2013
Honestly, I love Da Vinci Code type books and anything else with a religious bent. But this was just downright confusing.
The author needs to learn how to build his characters and make them believable. Cardboard characters, a highly dubious and an agonizingly slow plot, all added up to making this a real hash of a book. To make matters worse the middle sections need a serious edit.
This is the first time I have come across this authors work. I shall not be in any rush to check out any of his other books!
I liked the cover though.

Poor Things
Poor Things
by Alasdair Gray
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Had to keep reading., 6 Oct 2011
This review is from: Poor Things (Paperback)
This is a strange little book. Bizarre characters and an even more bizarre plotline, would on most occasions be a big turnoff for me. Yet I found myself unable to put this book down, and a month after first reading it I found myself reading it again!
Quirky Characters, and a certain depth of feeling, combine to instill within the reader a certain warmth. I honestly can't put my finger on it as to why I enjoyed 'poor things' quite as much as I did? But it is certainly a book I would recommend.

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars great escapism!, 20 Sep 2011
This book has been criticised almost as much as it has been praised, which is ridiculouus. The main critique is that it is full of inaccuracies, but people should remember that it is just a 'yarn.' Keep that in mind and enjoy it for what it is, a cracking good read.

Catwalk Collection Leather Cross-Body Bag - Dispatch
Catwalk Collection Leather Cross-Body Bag - Dispatch
Offered by The Real Handbag Shop
Price: 44.95

5.0 out of 5 stars pleased!, 20 Sep 2011
Delighted with this bag. Compact in size, but with numerous little pockets for all of my usual 'carry along' stuff. Really nice wide strap, which is a good thing on a cross over bag as it relieves tension around the shoulder/neck area.

Frankenstein (Wordsworth Classics): Or, the Modern Prometheus
Frankenstein (Wordsworth Classics): Or, the Modern Prometheus
by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So sad!, 20 Sep 2011
I first read Frankenstein when I was twelve years old, now reading it these many years later my thoughts remain the same. It is without a doubt a true classic about one man's ego, and another man's (the creatures) desire to be loved and accepted. Unfortunately, his innocence and lack of understanding about the world, leads to his lashing out in frustration at those around him.
the nineteenth century writing style can at times make for a ponderously slow read, but it also adds to the feel of the book. The growing sense of gloom and doom, as the creatures hopes falls into decline. The feeling of sadness is palpable, and you cannot help but have sympathy for Frankenstein's creation.
This is not a horror story, it is however one of the greatest science fiction stories ever written.

Dark Matter: A Ghost Story
Dark Matter: A Ghost Story
by Michelle Paver

5.0 out of 5 stars creepy!!, 20 Sep 2011
Wow, this is the first of this authors adult books that I have read, and I enjoyed it immensely.
Well thought out characters, tight writing, and a truely eerie plotline set in the bleak north. Dark matter really is an old style ghost story of the highest quality. Very good.

Breathe: A Ghost Story
Breathe: A Ghost Story
by Cliff McNish
Price: 5.03

3.0 out of 5 stars Deflated, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Breathe: A Ghost Story (Paperback)
I have to be honest, I looked forward to reading this book with a genuine anticipation. The excellent Doomspell trilogy got me hooked on the authors work.
It left me feeling deflated. I won't bother running through the plot as others have covered the bases on that, but suffice to say a really promising plotline was badly let down by poor characterisation, and what seemed to be a rushed writing style.