Profile for Bagpuss > Reviews

Bagpuss (Aberdeen, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Who We Are
Who We Are

5.0 out of 5 stars ... Magnum on tour in Aberdeen (and they were the better band on the night), 24 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Who We Are (Audio CD)
First discovered Vega this year when they supported Magnum on tour in Aberdeen (and they were the better band on the night). Bought the album the next day and what a cracker it is!
What you get is an album filled with well written and performed tracks that will have you humming along, long after you have heard them. There are too many excellent tracks to list. Vocals, keyboards, guitars and drums all combine for a hard rock delight. Just do your ears and brain a favour and get this CD. Vega are a band who know how to rock with the best of them an I'm a fan now. Keep up the fantastic work guys.

The Last Kingdom - Season 1 [DVD]
The Last Kingdom - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alexander Dreymon

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get better than this...., 5 Feb. 2016
I love Bernard Cornwell and was nervous about a TV series of his Uhtred novels. I needn't have worried. From the moment the shield wall first went up, I was hooked. This series is absolutely fantastic!
Yes there are differences between the novels and the series, but this works to its advantage as the plot rattles along. Casting is spot on with Alexander Dreymon and David Dawson in particular, are perfect as Uhtred and Alfred. Not enough praise for this series and can't wait for the second series.

Seventh Son [DVD] [2014]
Seventh Son [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Jeff Bridges

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Hollywood Horror Film, 13 July 2015
This review is from: Seventh Son [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I loved Jospeh Delaney's Wardstone Chronicles on which this film is supposedly based. So I watched this film with eager anticipation and I really wish I hadn't bothered.

Where to start? Apart from the names, everything else has changed and not for the better. Think of every bad fantasy film cliché and you will find it here. Terrible CGI. Add to that, bland, pointless characters who sleepwalk through a script only fit for the bin. And I could spend hours ranting about Jeff Bridges accent. Obviously went to the same drama school as Bane. Overall, the whole film seems in such a hurry to get to the next fight scene at the expense of any character development, empathy or understanding. I agree with a previous reviewer who said this would have been much better as a TV series, made by a British company. There is no understanding or appreciation of the source material.

I'm just curious how anyone could give this dullard of a film 5 stars? Obviously from viewers who have never read any of the books. It was a relief to get to the end credits.

The Play That Goes Wrong: 3rd Edition (Modern Plays)
The Play That Goes Wrong: 3rd Edition (Modern Plays)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Play that does everything right!, 4 Jun. 2015
Saw this in London. I have never laughed so much at a live performance ever!
Some of the online reviews from professional critics are quite condescending of the play, but as a lifelong theatre lover, this for me was fantastic. A play within a play, clever, frantic and tear-inducingly funny.
I bought the book as a reminder of a fantastic evening. Hoping to go back and see it again later this year.

A masterpiece.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2015 9:43 PM BST

Dracula - Swing Of Death
Dracula - Swing Of Death

5.0 out of 5 stars The Viking Is Back with a Vengence, 8 Feb. 2015
Ok, first things first. Jorn is the Viking with a voice of a God. However, his solo albums have been a bit hit and miss over the years, seemingly to perform better in collaboration with other musicians (see Avantasia and Masterplan). So it was with a biot of trepidation that I purchased Dracula.
I need not have worried, this is an absolute fantastic album and probably Jorn's best solo effort so far.

Jorn has let his hair down and sings like the Prince of Darkness.
It's hard to pick a best track, as there isn't a duff song on the album. Lande's vocals are perfectly complimented by Trond Holter's music and the duets with Lena Fløitmoen, are simply out of this world.

Dracula is a breath of fresh air and heads in a direction, I hope Jorn continues to travel.
Well done guys this is a faultless album. Dracula never sounded so damn good : )

A Man Called Ove
A Man Called Ove
by Fredrik Backman

5.0 out of 5 stars Ove - A wonderful Meeting, 18 Jan. 2015
This review is from: A Man Called Ove (Hardcover)
What a wonderful book.
I wasn't sure when I started reading this book, but not long in, I fell in love with Ove. I laughed. I cried. I couldn't put it down.
This book is character driven and demonstrates beautifully how what happens in the present is shaped by what happened in the past.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough and has the same heart-tugging caresses as books like the Book Thief.
I'm sad for those 1 star reviews. They have missed out on such an amazing read.

Water Clarity Secrets for Ponds and Water Gardens: The Quick and Easy Way to Crystal Clear Water (Water Garden Masters Series Book 5)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 11 Nov. 2014
The one thing I hate about Kindle purchases, is that any old crap can get published. This rubbish is a good example. This isn't a book. It's a transcript of an interview and reads like it has been cobbled together. I didn't finish it and deleted it from my Kindle, it was that bad.
There are better books out there. Don't waste your money on this.

New Tricks Series 11 [DVD]
New Tricks Series 11 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tamzin Outhwaite

4.0 out of 5 stars New Life for New Tricks, 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: New Tricks Series 11 [DVD] (DVD)
I have watched New Tricks since series 1. Series 9 began to get tired and series 10 lacked a pulse. So it was with interest that I noted the new characters for series 11. Normally with a long running series, the introduction of new characters usually means the death knell, but here it has revitalised the programme.

Okay some of the episodes are a little slow paced, but you don't watch New Tricks for the high speed chases or gun fights. It's all about the characters and their inter-relationships. Tazmin Outhwaite brings a much needed new dimension to UCOS, thankfully replacing the one facial expression of Amanda Redmond. The rest of the cast work well together, old cranky, world-weary and engaging (Dennis Waterman and Nicholas Lyndhurst especially shine).

I think series 11 has breathed new life into New Tricks and sincerely hope there will be a series 12.

The Blooding
The Blooding

3.0 out of 5 stars I loved Hawkwood in London, 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Blooding (Kindle Edition)
First off, I loved Hawkwood in London. Then he went to France and it got extremely boring. McGee moved him to Canada and although it's a slight improvement, it still lacked the pace and excitement of the first 3 books.

It's obvious that McGee has done his research. And that's where one of the problems lie. At times, it felt like reading a rather boring school history book as he tried to cram in as much actual information into the story. Try reading Bernard Cornwell to see how it should be done.

The story itself bounced around, but again felt more like a Louis L'Amour western than a Hawkwood novel. It wasn't really worth the wait and what started out as an original and enthralling trilogy, has sadly morphed into a rather ordinary series.

Wars of the Roses: Trinity: Book 2
Wars of the Roses: Trinity: Book 2

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Oct. 2014
The Conqueror series was up there with Cornwell's Alfred books. Nothing could get better, so I waited for Conn's Wars of the Roses with interest and trepidation. The first book 'Stormbird' was okay, but I thought give the series a chance. Book 2 unfortunately, was much more of the same.

With Ghengis, you could empathise with his pain and suffering and see why he did what he did. With the Yorks and the Tudors, it just feels like a bunch of well-off toffs fighting to see who gets to wear the crown. The trouble was, I didn't really care about any of the characters and what happened to them. The battle scenes lacked any kind of tension and I found myself skipping through pages just to get the book finished. I was disappointed and as much as it pains me, I won't be buying any more of this lack lustre series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10