Profile for Bagpuss > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Dracula - Swing Of Death
Dracula - Swing Of Death

5.0 out of 5 stars The Viking Is Back with a Vengence, 8 Feb. 2015
Ok, first things first. Jorn is the Viking with a voice of a God. However, his solo albums have been a bit hit and miss over the years, seemingly to perform better in collaboration with other musicians (see Avantasia and Masterplan). So it was with a biot of trepidation that I purchased Dracula.
I need not have worried, this is an absolute fantastic album and probably Jorn's best solo effort so far.

Jorn has let his hair down and sings like the Prince of Darkness.
It's hard to pick a best track, as there isn't a duff song on the album. Lande's vocals are perfectly complimented by Trond Holter's music and the duets with Lena Fløitmoen, are simply out of this world.

Dracula is a breath of fresh air and heads in a direction, I hope Jorn continues to travel.
Well done guys this is a faultless album. Dracula never sounded so damn good : )

A Man Called Ove
A Man Called Ove
by Fredrik Backman

5.0 out of 5 stars Ove - A wonderful Meeting, 18 Jan. 2015
This review is from: A Man Called Ove (Hardcover)
What a wonderful book.
I wasn't sure when I started reading this book, but not long in, I fell in love with Ove. I laughed. I cried. I couldn't put it down.
This book is character driven and demonstrates beautifully how what happens in the present is shaped by what happened in the past.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough and has the same heart-tugging caresses as books like the Book Thief.
I'm sad for those 1 star reviews. They have missed out on such an amazing read.

Water Clarity Secrets for Ponds and Water Gardens: The Quick and Easy Way to Crystal Clear Water (Water Garden Masters Series Book 5)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 11 Nov. 2014
The one thing I hate about Kindle purchases, is that any old crap can get published. This rubbish is a good example. This isn't a book. It's a transcript of an interview and reads like it has been cobbled together. I didn't finish it and deleted it from my Kindle, it was that bad.
There are better books out there. Don't waste your money on this.

New Tricks Series 11 [DVD]
New Tricks Series 11 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tamzin Outhwaite

4.0 out of 5 stars New Life for New Tricks, 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: New Tricks Series 11 [DVD] (DVD)
I have watched New Tricks since series 1. Series 9 began to get tired and series 10 lacked a pulse. So it was with interest that I noted the new characters for series 11. Normally with a long running series, the introduction of new characters usually means the death knell, but here it has revitalised the programme.

Okay some of the episodes are a little slow paced, but you don't watch New Tricks for the high speed chases or gun fights. It's all about the characters and their inter-relationships. Tazmin Outhwaite brings a much needed new dimension to UCOS, thankfully replacing the one facial expression of Amanda Redmond. The rest of the cast work well together, old cranky, world-weary and engaging (Dennis Waterman and Nicholas Lyndhurst especially shine).

I think series 11 has breathed new life into New Tricks and sincerely hope there will be a series 12.

The Blooding
The Blooding

3.0 out of 5 stars I loved Hawkwood in London, 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Blooding (Kindle Edition)
First off, I loved Hawkwood in London. Then he went to France and it got extremely boring. McGee moved him to Canada and although it's a slight improvement, it still lacked the pace and excitement of the first 3 books.

It's obvious that McGee has done his research. And that's where one of the problems lie. At times, it felt like reading a rather boring school history book as he tried to cram in as much actual information into the story. Try reading Bernard Cornwell to see how it should be done.

The story itself bounced around, but again felt more like a Louis L'Amour western than a Hawkwood novel. It wasn't really worth the wait and what started out as an original and enthralling trilogy, has sadly morphed into a rather ordinary series.

Wars of the Roses: Trinity
Wars of the Roses: Trinity

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Oct. 2014
The Conqueror series was up there with Cornwell's Alfred books. Nothing could get better, so I waited for Conn's Wars of the Roses with interest and trepidation. The first book 'Stormbird' was okay, but I thought give the series a chance. Book 2 unfortunately, was much more of the same.

With Ghengis, you could empathise with his pain and suffering and see why he did what he did. With the Yorks and the Tudors, it just feels like a bunch of well-off toffs fighting to see who gets to wear the crown. The trouble was, I didn't really care about any of the characters and what happened to them. The battle scenes lacked any kind of tension and I found myself skipping through pages just to get the book finished. I was disappointed and as much as it pains me, I won't be buying any more of this lack lustre series.

The Pink Panther [DVD]
The Pink Panther [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Martin
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars The equivalent of constipation, 25 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Pink Panther [DVD] (DVD)
Steve Martin is a funny actor. If anyone could pull off the impossible task of playing Clousseau after Peter Sellers, then Martin was the man for the job. With this absolute rubbish he fails miserably. As other reviewers have mentioned, this is just a rehash of jokes from the original films (this time without any humour) and a poor, cheesy script. You will get more laughs watching Saving Private Ryan.
Only one film less funny this this rubbish - Pink Panther 2!

The Apocalypse (The Undead World Series Book 1)
The Apocalypse (The Undead World Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars disjointed and at times pretty boring. Yes some reviewers have said book 2 ..., 15 Sept. 2014
The usual zombie apocalypse novels are about ex- US soldiers with unlimited weapons saving the world. I was interested that Meredith was trying something different. And in fairness, it does start out well. Flawed characters struggling to adapt to a savage world. But... halfway through, it seems as though Meredith runs out of ideas and doesn't know how to keep the plot going. The latter half of the book becomes ragged, disjointed and at times pretty boring. Yes some reviewers have said book 2 gets better. I'm not going to bother finding out.

WWIV - In The Beginning
WWIV - In The Beginning

1.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy dystopian novels and when I read the Einstein quote, 30 July 2014
I enjoy dystopian novels and when I read the Einstein quote, I thought this book would be an intriguing read. How wrong I was.
Two huge flaws with this book. Firstly it reads like it was written by an elderly aunt. Now I admire an author who tries to write a book about the end of the world with absolutely no swearing, but when the worst someone says is "What the heck is going on?" it makes the book read like an episode of the Waltons.

The other huge problem I had with this book was that absolutely nothing happened. Power goes off, man gets on bike and cycles across America. Man meets someone. Chats. Then goes on his way. Oh and the hero takes along his dog. End of story. Thrilling. Those readers who were moved to tears, I assume they were tears of boredom.

I suspect E A Lake has never left her back garden far less been in a situation where law and order has broken down. If this is how civilisation ends then count me out.

Surviving the Fog
Surviving the Fog

1.0 out of 5 stars Drivel of the highest order, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Surviving the Fog (Kindle Edition)
This book is awful. It was free and even then I feel cheated. A mind numbingly, stupid plot written in the syle of a 7 year old 'what I did on my holidays'. Please, if you value your time, go and find a million other things to do than try and read this codswallop.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9