Profile for writer christopher > Reviews

Content by writer christopher

writer christopher (Hampshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Service Asset and Configuration Management Best Practice Handbook: Building, Running and Managing a Configuration Management Data Base, CMDB - Ready ... ITIL Theory into Practice Second Edition
by Gerard Blokdijk

5.0 out of 5 stars The basics but includes almost everything, 8 Aug 2011
I am new to Configuration management and so I wanted a basic guide that told me everything and this book does exactly that. Let's face it Configuration Management is not rocket science and so there is no need for weighty tomes with lots of fluff in them. The first half of the book gives you the theory and process and the second half gives you examples of supporting documents you might use in your CM process. This book tells you almost everything you need to know in an easy to read way to start you on the Configuration Management road. I recommend this to all newbies and even those who have already started CM.
By the author of Call Me Aphrodite

Write Like the Masters: Emulating the Best of Hemingway, Faulkner, Salinger, and Others
by William Cane

5.0 out of 5 stars best writing book in ages, 11 Jun 2011
I love this book. It is very helpful to would be writers but also very interesting for those interested in how some of the great writers wrote. It is a good quality hardbook book and it is very well written and easy to read.
I bought it because, like the author, I believe that to improve my writing I need to know how great writers write and then I can imitate them. This theory is anathema to most creative writing tutors who keep repeating the mantra 'don't imitate because you must have an original voice'. I've never heard a piano tutor say to a promising piano student 'stop playing that Mozart and play your own stuff because you need an original sound.' This book consists of 21 chapters each about a different great author. William Cane selects a few specific things that the author did well and explains them so that we mere mortals can use the techniques in our writing. So he picks characterisation and suspense from Dickens, description from Fleming and the structure of sentences from Hemingway, to select a few lessons. This is the best bit of the book; after reading each chapter I believe I can emulate that great writer in some way so I think this book is helping me improve my writing.
I recommend this book to every writer; you will benefit from it.
From the author of; Call me Aphrodite

The Odyssey of Homer
The Odyssey of Homer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Translation, 17 May 2011
I have only tried three different translations of The Odyssey so I can't claim to be an expert. One was a Victorian version which is a difficult read, one was a modern English prose version which is an easy read but I felt the modern language took away some of the mystique and beauty of this story. Lattimore's version is in between the two extremes and is excellent. It has been translated in a way that maintains the form of a poem but at the same time it is not a difficult read. I studied this version as part of a now defunct Open University degree module and I have grown to love it. A good test of a translation of something like this, which is a written version of an oral story, is to read it out loud. This book does not disappoint when read out loud. There is also an excellent introduction which puts the text in context. If a reader wants to really understand the text, line by line I suggest the excellent companion book Homer's "Odyssey": A Companion to the English Translation of Richmond Lattimore (Classics companions) It will help you get a real understanding of this story.
By the author of Call me Aphrodite

Writing the Breakout Novel: Winning Advice from a Top Agent and His Best-selling Client
by Anne Perry

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for a writer, 16 May 2011
This book will not teach you to write a bestselling novel but it might teach you to improve a novel you have already written. Yes, as some reviewers have stated it is a list of success stories, but each story gives us something to look for in our own writing and by that way our own writing will improve. I could have done with this when I wrote my own novel Call me Aphrodite although it turned out very good anyway.
I recommend this book to anyone who has nearly completed a manuscript; it will give you lots of work to do to improve your writing but it is worth it. I also recommend the workbook version; Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-on Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed as it is essentially this book but with worksheets to use to improve your novel.

Do Something Different: Proven Marketing Techniques to Transform Your Business (Virgin Business Guides)
by Jurgen Wolff

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative & creative marketing guide - excellent, 16 May 2011
I love this book because it is an easy read and has some excellent ideas in it. I like the style of case studies because this means one can dip into the book for short periods and learn something new every time. Also I like the easy written style with very little jargon. This book makes you think about marketing in a new and creative way if that is posible in an already creative subject. It doesn't bore you with theory but gives real examples of what people have done and the results they achieved and it makes you believe anything is possible. I recommend this book as a guide to what can be done in marketing with a slight warning - this is not a marketing text book and will not help you pass any marketing exams.
By the author of Call me Aphrodite

Persuasive Business Proposals: Writing to Win More Customers, Clients, and Contracts: Writing to Win More Customers, Clients and Contracts

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book., 13 May 2011
This is a very useful book. It is almost everything you ever wanted to know about writing proposals and it gives you a very good start so that you can approach ther subject with the authority of the vast knowledge and experience gained from reading this book. It is well written and organised and easy to use. I recommend it as a very good starting point and a reference to anyone gettng involved in writing business proposals.
Review by the author of Call me Aphrodite

The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within
The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 12 May 2011
This is a brilliant book for anyone who wants to understand poetry. It is good if you want to write poetry or read it. It gives lessons in all the essential forms and styles of poetry so that when you get to the end people could easily think you had studied poetry for years. And the big bonus is that all this useful information is written in a light and often funny style that makes it a pleasure to read. I have already read parts of his more than once and I've no doubt I will read it many times in the future.
By the author of Call me Aphrodite

Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting (Methuen Film)
by Robert McKee

5.0 out of 5 stars The bible for scene writing, 8 April 2011
This is not a cosy read, it is long (could benefit from an edit that cuts 25%) and in places not easy to understand. So why have I given it 5 stars? Because it is well worth the trouble of re-reading it to really understand how to write a scene and to understand character arcs. I was lucky in that it was a set book on my MA in Creative and Critical Writing and we had to summarise whole chapters so I got to really understand it. On that basis I thoroughly recommend this book as the guide to writing a scene and to understand the principle of characer arc. It is a bible that you should read and then dip into many times as you write your stuff.
McKee states correctly that stories are not made up of chapters, they are made up of scenes and it is by knowing the dynamics of a scene that help the writer create a good story. For example many writers understand that a character must change from the beginning of a story to the end of a story but McKee says that the point of view character must change (arc) in a scene also. This adds huge power to every scene and often explains why some scenes are flat (no character arc in it).
I would say this book, along with Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers and The Story Book: A Writer's Guide to Story Development, Principles, Problem-solving and Marketing and The Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction are the main story theory books any writer needs on his or her shelf.
I wish I had read all of them when I wrote my first novel Call me Aphrodite ; of course my book still turned out excellent :)
I recommend Story as a bible to read then dip into many times in the future.

Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers
Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers
by Christopher Vogler

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and simple, 8 April 2011
Christopher Vogler has a lot of credibility in the script doctoring world and he knows what he is talking about as he has worked on a lot of major Hollywood films. I love this book because it lays out a simple to understand 12 step structure for designing a story, both for filmscripts and for novels.
Some might say his structure is too simple but I am not Joyce, Hemingway or Dickens so I don't care; it gives you the basics to build on. I would suggest all would-be writers read this first to get you going. Then I suggest Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwritingto understand scenes and character arc and The Story Book: A Writer's Guide to Story Development, Principles, Problem-solving and Marketing to understand subtext and you should be able to make a reasonable go of your novel writing or filmscript writing career.
I am glad I read this before I wrote my first novel Call me Aphrodite

Story Engineering
Story Engineering

5.0 out of 5 stars Great theory, great book, but..., 8 April 2011
This review is from: Story Engineering (Kindle Edition)
This is a great book and it gives you all the background in depth knowledge to understand how a story works. With this book you will understand how to make your novel better, and how to make it work. You will also learn how to analyse your novel. I really wish I had this when writing my book Call me Aphrodite, although of course, it turned out brilliant anyway :).
I would rank this alongside Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting by McKee, Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers by Vogler and The Story Book: A Writer's Guide to Story Development, Principles, Problem-solving and Marketing by Baboulene as essentials to really understand the mechanics of stories and why some work and some don't.
You want to know about the "but" in my review title. The first few chapters are devoted to selling the theory. I've bought the book Larry I don't need to be sold the theory again and again. Get to the point. That's my only gripe in what is otherwise an excellent book.
I love the book and reading it has definitely improved my knowledge of how to write but I wish an editor had cut out the first few chapters. Persevere past them and you will get to the good stuff.

Page: 1 | 2