Profile for angela_grainger@lineone.net > Reviews

Content by angela_grainge...

angela_grainger@lineone.net (Thanet, England)

The Marriage Bed (Leisure Historical Romance) (Leisure historical romance)
The Marriage Bed (Leisure Historical Romance) (Leisure historical romance)
by Claudia Dain
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of my favourite books., 7 Feb. 2002
This book is the first that I have read by Claudia Dain, unfortunately I must admit that I was not overly impressed. The story is set in the 12th. Century and concerns a knight (Richard) who becomes a monk to avoid temptation, he is then forced by certain circumstances to wed a woman (Lady Isabel) who he had accepted could never be his. I felt that the character of Lady Isabel was rather shallow and selfish and I could not understand how Richard who is really very Godly and good, but believes himself a sinner, could have eventually loved her. Admittedly she did redeem herself towards the end of the story, but it took a long time coming. The story unwound very slowly and I did struggle to reach the end of the book. However I will try other books by this author, I don't believe it is fair to make a judgement about her after reading only one of her books.

Lord of Fire
Lord of Fire
by Gaelen Foley
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars I can highly recommend this book., 7 Feb. 2002
I really enjoyed reading this book, as I have all of Gaelen Foley's other books. Set in the Regency period, but slightly different to the usual Regency romances, the story centres around England's top spy and an innocent young woman, who for once is not an empty headed miss looking for a husband. I particularly liked the way that the author gradually lets the character of Lord Lucien (the spy) unfold, allowing the reader to really get to know him, for he is not the person he first appears to be. The story is filled with secrets, seduction and scandal, the reader is also introduced to Damien, Lucien's identical twin brother who I am looking forward to reading more about in Lord Of Ice.