Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Ian at IanOzsvald.com" (Sussex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Faith
Faith

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd recommend this to anyone who is looking for a good ..., 8 July 2014
This review is from: Faith (Kindle Edition)
Very pleasantly surprised, I found sections to be a complete page-turner, some parts a little slower. The ending was a little odd but definitely "good sci-fi". I'd recommend this to anyone who is looking for a good space sci-fi yarn.

Exiles: The Progenitor Trilogy, Book One (Progenitors Universe)
Exiles: The Progenitor Trilogy, Book One (Progenitors Universe)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fine bit of sci-fi, 13 Mar 2014
I've just read book one (now I'm on book two), I didn't read any of my other books whilst reading this as I was so focused on Dan's story. The scale reminds me a little of Ian M Banks' Culture. If you like space operas, this is worth buying.

On the downside (as noted by many other people) an editor is need to catch the typos. Having realised that the book was self-published I became more forgiving but if you're easily rattled, note that the typos continue throughout the book (mostly they are missing words, not spelling errors.

My suggestion is that you overlook this and buy the book to encourage Dan to write more.

Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop Keyboard, Mouse and Numeric Pad Set - UK Layout

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine on Linux, ESC key wobby (not great for VIM), 20 Feb 2014
I'm using the keyboard (not the mouse or the numeric keypad), it works great and has a nice feel.

As noted by another reviewer the ESC key is 'wobbly', you have to deliberately press it from above, not at an angle. If you reach up with your little finger in VIM and try to press it, you'll move it but the key press won't register. Switch to Ctrl-[ to keep your sanity.

The PgUp/PgDn layout is annoying (I'm used to my Dell where they sit either side of the arrows, not above each other to the right) but I guess this varies on every keyboard. I wish some of the keys had a different texture to assist with touch typing, e.g. the Enter key is next to many small useful keys (: # [ for VIM) and I have to move my finger around to be sure that I'm on Enter and not #. This would be a nice improvement for the cursor keys.

The CapsLock key also has an odd action, it seems to be easy to press it, since it has no indicator light (they keyboard has no lights at all) you don't notice it until you carry on typing.

Overall I'm happy with the keyboard, more so once I switched away from using ESC in VIM. As another reviewer noted it would have been nice to spend less that £70 and buy the keyboard without the mouse/keypad (I use a Logitech MarbleMouse).

I'm also a touch concerned that if I lose the USB Radio dongle then the keyboard will be useless (I can't find those for sale separately). It would be useful if the keyboard had some kind of holder/pocket for the dongle (since it is raised there's plenty of room underneath, for when moving the keyboard around.

Aluminum Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Case Dock for Google ASUS NEXUS 7 IP48
Aluminum Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Case Dock for Google ASUS NEXUS 7 IP48
Offered by UK Digital Bay

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for new-style (Sept 2013) Nexus 7, 7 Oct 2013
The product should state that it is designed for the original Nexus 7, not the version released a month ago. My (new) Nexus 7 is a bit wider so won't fit into the recess, nor will the keyboard clip to the new-style Nexus 7 as a screen protector. I'm rating it a 3 as this wasn't made clear, if it had stated original-version-nexus-only then I'd have waited for an updated design.

It did pair very quickly (just a few seconds) and was delivered with nearly a full charge. I've got large hands and I find the keys to be very small, with 5 minutes practice I was touch-typing at a slow speed but I was making a lot of mistakes. I don't think any other arrangement would improve this, with the small form factor you just have to have small keys (which won't fit big hands!). By way of reference - on a full sized laptop keyboard my fingers fit on the home keys, with this keyboard I cannot physically squeeze my (big) fingers together enough to get them on the home keys (they're very small!).

It is better than swyping for lots of text, even if you have to type slowly. It feels robust enough for some light travelling but since it can't clip to my Nexus 7, the keyboard would be left exposed in a bag and might get damaged. It is a lightweight plastic-style construction (the 'aluminium' in the title might just refer to the colour, not the material).

tosl SSD Sata Caddy Dell Latitude E6320 E6420 E6520 replaces DVD Drive
tosl SSD Sata Caddy Dell Latitude E6320 E6420 E6520 replaces DVD Drive
Offered by Tosl

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as required, 9 Jan 2013
I bought this to expand the storage capacity on my Dell E6420 (running Linux Mint 13/Ubuntu 12.04). I'm writing this review with my new SSD live in my machine, I'm using a Crucial 128GB Crucial m4 2.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s (SATA III) 9.5mm SSD (part number CT1953252).

The caddy does not have an eject button (the built-in CD caddy does have an eject button - without pushing this the CD player is locked into the machine). As such you can slide the drive in/out. It fits snugly so I doubt it'll fall out but the lack of a locking mechanism feels like a cheap oversight. Ignoring that the unit is just a holder, it is correctly sized for the E6420 and 'does the job'.

Alt.Fractals: A Visual Guide to Fractal Geometry and Design
Alt.Fractals: A Visual Guide to Fractal Geometry and Design
by Eric Baird

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely overview of fractals with plenty of visuals, 13 Aug 2011
Eric asked me to review a copy of his book as I have a background in mathematics and physics. I use a Mandelbrot example for a High Performance Python tutorial course (which focuses on parallel programming) and I refer readers to Alt. Fractals for more detail. Eric's treatment is clear and entirely unbaffling (which cannot be said for all fractal books).

The book starts with the basics and then builds up to cover the Julia set in 4 dimensions, then investigates less well known fractals. I'd have preferred a colour book with glossy pages (Eric's diagrams are good - colour would be even better) but accept that the cover price would have to jump significantly if this happened.

I definitely recommend this as a gentle, friendly introduction to the world of fractals.

Python Text Processing with NLTK 2.0 Cookbook
Python Text Processing with NLTK 2.0 Cookbook
by Jacob Perkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cookbook for NLTK, 30 Jan 2011
This is an excellent cookbook for Python's NLTK 2.0 module. Despite having used NLTK over the years I still found lots of useful recipes (and a whole pile of things I didn't know). Jacob also introduces external tools like Redis, MongoDB, execnet (for distributed computation) and dateutil (a wonderfully powerful datetime parser).

Disclosure - I was sent a copy of the book for review (unpaid, just a free copy as I've reviewed other Python books). This review represents my opinion and isn't influenced by Packt.

Early topics in the book include the cleaning and preparation of text, later classifiers are trained to solve specific problems and large scale computation (using Redis and execnet) is introduced.

There's a longer review broken down by chapters on my blog (google for 'ozsvald' and the book's title) if you want more detail. The blog review includes links to wikipedia and project sites for many of the topics covered in the book.

Daemon
Daemon
by Daniel Suarez

4.0 out of 5 stars Great geek sci-fi, 21 Mar 2010
This review is from: Daemon (Hardcover)
I remember the launch of Daemon on Slashdot, the reviews were positive and I was keen to take a read. I read the book over the course of a holiday - there's lots of geek security trivia, a good story (with an odd direction about 3/4 of the way through and then a good ending) and a few nice twists. Recommended for geeks.

Overcome Neck and Back Pain
Overcome Neck and Back Pain
by Kit Laughlin

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source of back-pain relief, 28 July 2008
I've just dusted this book off again due to recent increased back pain (I'm a computer programmer). Looking at the notes I'd left in the book I first started following these exercises 9 years ago, whilst having Physio for my bad back, neck and shoulder.
Each time I follow this book my back gets better, then I get lazy and slowly the pain comes back again.
I read a lot of books 10 years ago for back pain - Overcome Neck and Back Pain came out best and has consistently worked for me. It is one of few books that I'll only lend out on the proviso that *it must come back to me*.
If your back hurts, I'd really suggest you take a look.

Way of the Dog: The Art of Making Success Inevitable
Way of the Dog: The Art of Making Success Inevitable
by Geoff Burch

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent primer in salesmanship, 20 Nov 2007
I've read Burch's prior works and I've loved each of them. Here Geoff explains 'how to become a salesman' through the story of a dog learning the ropes of sheep-herding.
The idea is bizarre but the story conveys the essence of salesmanship in simple, no-nonsense sections.
I encourage entrepreneurial activity (and run several events along these lines here in Brighton). I lend Way of the Dog to people who want to learn salesmanship but have no prior experience - it is a great primer without any assumption about prior domain knowledge.
If you don't know much about selling but want to learn then you'll learn some techniques and receive some inspiration from this book.

Page: 1 | 2