Profile for Wavey Dave > Reviews

Content by Wavey Dave

Wavey Dave "DEH" (South West, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Latin Beat (Latin Sound for the Dancefloor Clubbers)
The Latin Beat (Latin Sound for the Dancefloor Clubbers)

4.0 out of 5 stars Where's Cal?, 14 April 2016
I would give it 5 but for the fact that the best track (in my opinion) from the double LP is missing. Cal Tjader's Gimme Shelter was just knock-out, unfortunately some record company twerpy has knocked it out - shame!

Blue Sun
Blue Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars Ralph's Gem!, 21 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Blue Sun (Audio CD)
I had this wonderful album on vinyl, but had to sell the collection due to lack of space issues. So, come on ECM, reissue this stunningly superb Ralph Towner gem on CD ... but hurry, cuz I'm 66, the years are flying by, and I need; I want; I must have!!!

What's New (feat. Kenny Wheeler)
What's New (feat. Kenny Wheeler)

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 stars in total then, 15 Aug. 2015
I'll give 5 stars to Linda Rondstatd and 5 stars to Thomas Stabenow/Kenny Wheeler, but 1 star to Amazon for once again getting their wires crossed. Click on Linda's "What's New" album for the MP3 versiom and get Thomas Stabenow's MP3 of 'his' album "What's New". This isn't the first time I have come across this technical mishap. Indeed it has cost me in the past. What's new indeed! Both great CDs though. ---- Oh, and just found out that if you search on Thomas Stabenow and click on the MP3 version at £4.99 you get a compilation of several versions of the song What's New. So many wires! So many wires!

Throughout
Throughout

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill's set - you bet!, 6 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Throughout (MP3 Download)
What do you get when you place Michael Gibbs and Bill Frisell together in the studio? Shimmering brilliance!! A different type of outing for Bill, but one I hope he visits again. Great (and, thankfully, subdued) big band arrangements by Mr. Gibbs, a bit reminiscent here and there of both Gil Evans and Gary McFarland (in his jazz mode). Can't stop playing it!

Fairytale
Fairytale

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Fairytale, 6 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Fairytale (MP3 Download)
I can't understand why no one has reviewed this pop masterpiece from Constance Amiot. I haven't planned this review, so it's all a bit of a rush, but, what I can tell you after listening to it on four occasions is, it's got absolutely everything. Each superb song has a completely different feel to it, and the joyful arrangements and musicianship throughout are second to none. It reminds me a little bit of another very good French female singer/songwriter album, Le Fil by Camille - another one worth checking out if you haven't been swooned by it already. Fairytale - buy it!

5x CD-Hülle Für Jeweils 4 Stück Schwarz
5x CD-Hülle Für Jeweils 4 Stück Schwarz
Offered by Dragon Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Super quick!, 1 May 2015
Very quick delivery, and, what is unusual with CD cases, no breakages or scratches.

Midwest
Midwest

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Midwest!, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Midwest (Audio CD)
What an absolutely gorgeous CD. Beautiful intertwining melodies and textures along with obvious technical know how. I'm listening to this on the day of its release (23/3/15) at 3am, and I will probably play it through in its entirety again straight afterwards. If I had to nail this guy, I would say a 21st century Chet Baker. He's that good. All the feeling, with all the breathy tones and precision of the legendary Chet. And the violin fits in perfectly too! An ECM classic. Try it; buy it!

Sax Madmen
Sax Madmen

5.0 out of 5 stars my e-book of the month, 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Sax Madmen (Kindle Edition)
What a well presented book! Great artwork, and wonderful can't-put-down mini-biogs by Tony Clark and Mark Archer of some of the greatest musicians in history . A must if you're into your jazz saxophonists. Can't wait to get my hands on a hard copy. My only gripe is ... why is there no mention of Kenny G?? (Ho de ho!) ... BUY! BUY! BUY! If you're into your jazz, you definitely won't have any regrets!

The Complete Quintet Studio Sessions - George Shearing
The Complete Quintet Studio Sessions - George Shearing

4.0 out of 5 stars remastering phooey!, 18 Jan. 2015
Music is great. HD remastering isn't. Still well worth the purchase.

Hejira
Hejira

5.0 out of 5 stars No.1, 26 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Hejira (Audio CD)
Best singer-songwriter albums of all time: 1. Hejira; 2. Late For The Sky; 3.Astral Weeks. Just my humble opinion anyway. Hejira has everything; deep beautiful songs, with great melodies and perfect arrangements, and, oh yes, Jaco!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3