Profile for A Customer > Reviews

A Customer

Bunheads Pro Pad - Large
Bunheads Pro Pad - Large

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work as well as I'd hoped, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Bunheads Pro Pad - Large (Misc.)
These took away some pain but weren't as thick as I had hoped, so i have had to use toe pads as well

Innotek Anti-Bark Spray Collar, Unscented Citronella
Innotek Anti-Bark Spray Collar, Unscented Citronella
Offered by Ark Stores UK
Price: 31.73

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work on my dog, 17 July 2013
I'm sure the product would work on less stubborn dogs, but it didn't work on mine unfortunately. The product worked as described - it sprayed him when he banked or grumbled loudly, but this didn't deter him at all - it just meant he smelled of citronella a lot! Perhaps he just likes the smell of lemons.........

The Quincunx: The Inheritance of John Huffam
The Quincunx: The Inheritance of John Huffam
by Charles Palliser
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars mesmorising!, 8 April 2010
One of the most gripping novels I have ever had the pleasure to read (2nd only to The Magus). The pace is relentless and I found myself able to think of little else during the month I took to read it. The plot is complex, but not difficult to understand or remember as long as you are a careful reader. It has an incredible pace throughout which is rare to find in such a long book. The narrative structure is clever and intriguing and the characters are all well written and researched. John's mother was infuriating, but this reader frustration mirrors John's own frustration at his mother. As John is the narrator, the reader can only know what he knows and it is understandable why Mary wants to keep the truth from John for as long as possible, especially in regard to his paternity and his potentially criminal and shocking conception. Mary is also hopelessly naive and frightened and alone in the world, not knowing who to trust - just how John ends up, though his strength of character and determination for justice (and revenge?) push him towards his goal regardless.

I like the fact that the author has left many elements in the plot unresolved, as it leaves you endlessly pondering all the other possibilities. Even John's 'character' is left ambiguous - I thought I knew him, but over the last few pages I became less sure.

To sum up, a great, innovative and cleverly constructed book and one I will be sure to read again in a few years.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2013 10:09 AM BST