Profile for Ruth Kimberley Hepburn > Reviews

Content by Ruth Kimberley...

Ruth Kimberley Hepburn (Llanelli, Wales)

The Raven King (The Raven Boys Quartet) (The Raven Cycle)
The Raven King (The Raven Boys Quartet) (The Raven Cycle)

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Raven cycle, 12 Jun. 2016
I have been reading The Raven Boys books since they came out, and have eagerly anticipated each new release. I could not wait for the conclusion to the story and to live with the characters once again.

I was not disappointed, the relationship between Blue, Adam, Noah and Gansey is one of my favourite aspects of the series; for me, this friendship has an even stronger presence in this book, and I loved it!!! There's adventure, sadness, some violence and of course romance. I do think Maggie has a uniquely brilliant way of writing romantic storylines without making them the central focus of her books.

I do think the final search for Gledower was a bit of an anticlimax, but this is compensated for by some of the events leading up to it and afterwards. Also, I think it reflects reality, life's events aren't always as spectacular as we expect them to be.

I was sad to finish it, but I couldn't wait at the same time.

I highly recommend this series

Thanks Maggie

Fear Of Flying
Fear Of Flying
by Erica Jong

3.0 out of 5 stars Going nowhere, 12 April 2016
This review is from: Fear Of Flying (Paperback)
Despite being well written and quite funny at times; I got about half way through and gave up. I fell out of love with the main character; I love the idea of her finding herself through sexual exploration but she didn't seem to be going anywhere with it, just back and forth between her husband and Adrian and talking about what she likes about each of them. There are some poignant quotes and ideas in this book; for people looking for feminist inspiration. I may go back to it one day.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?: (And other concerns)
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?: (And other concerns)
by Mindy Kaling

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 19 Feb. 2016
I haven't watched The office or The Mindy Project but I thought I'd give this a go because I have read other similar books ( eg Nora Ephron and Lena Dunham) It wasn't great, apart from the beginning, it was just a load of lists, and she seems rather immature and self involved . This genre of musings/ rants/ biographies seems to be popular these days, but I think you need to be a certain kind of writer to pull it off. Good effort, but lacking substance . Sorry Mindy.

More Fool Me
More Fool Me
by Stephen Fry

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, but I feel bad giving less than 3 stars., 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: More Fool Me (Hardcover)
I received this as a Christmas gift (much to my excitement), however, I have to say I was disappointed. I absolutely loved Moab and The Fry Chronicles were ok; but this memoir is not as good as either of those. It didn't flow well for me, and the diary entry bit towards the end was really boring. I love Stephen but this wasn't his best, it lacked the personality and candour of the previous efforts and I didn't feel that much of a connection with the book or him. After reading Moab I would always go back to certain passages and monologue type bits, but there was nothing in this book that stood out for me the same way. This could be because the book I read just before this was Just Kids by Patti Smith which I think was awesome (totally recommend it), maybe in the future I won't read two autobiographical novels in a row.

Blue Lily, Lily Blue (Raven Cycle)
Blue Lily, Lily Blue (Raven Cycle)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of mystery and excitement !!, 3 Nov. 2014
At 27, I am probably too old to be reading (and enjoying) YA fantasy fiction; but Maggie is probably the best author of the genre (in my humble opinion). Everything kicks off from the start in Blue Lily, Lily Blue as the teens continue their search for the Welsh king Glendower; we come across new (and old) characters and the story takes some unexpected turns, I found it very hard to put the book down. I enjoyed the changes in Adam and Ronan; they seem to have developed and matured since the last book. The slowly blossoming romance between Gansey and Blue got me rather excited as well; Noah still has me a bit puzzled, but I'm hoping there will be more from him in the next book. I love Maggie's style of writing; the detail, descriptions and characters make me forget that her books are mainly written for young adults. I can't wait for the next instalment in the series. The Raven Cycle books are much better than any of the others I have read from this genre in the past. I strongly recommend them to readers of all ages (maybe not too young). Thank you Maggie!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2015 1:09 AM GMT

The Raven Boys
The Raven Boys

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 13 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Raven Boys (Paperback)
Firstly, I would like to say I love MAGGIE! This book is different from her previous efforts, as it is written mostly in the 3rd person for a change. The story starts off rather vague but it starts to fall into place rather quickly, there is also an unexpected plot twist which meant I couldn't put it down, not giving anything away. I may be a little old for such novels (25) but I can never resist a Maggie, can't wait for the next in the series!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 4 Jun. 2011
This is my first review so forgive my if it's not brilliant.I love this book, as soon as I finished reading it I had to read it again. I love the format and the main character Charlie is what made me fall in love with the book. If everyone was like Charlie, the world would be a truly beautiful place. I'm not going to compare it to anything else but I recommend this to anyone who has ever felt like an outsider. Enjoy.