Profile for G. Gampell > Reviews

Content by G. Gampell

G. Gampell "guygamps" (St Albans, UK)

Zoom We3G Mobile Hotspot (SIM FREE/UNLOCKED) with 32GB SD Card Slot & Pre-defined Service Provider List

1.0 out of 5 stars Really really truly flawed, unusable, 23 Jun 2011
Where do I begin

At first all was good, I bought the unit for a trip to Singapore, I needed a 3G Wirless Router, to share a 3G internet connection with 4 colleagues on an exhibition booth, and also to have as a mobile internet gateway during the trip. On our setup day all worked fine, I activated a 3G sim in a 3G dongle first, moved the Sim to the We3G, connected it via USB to my PC followed the instructions and soon was on on line. Set up the Wifi for my colleagues (SSID and Security settings) and soon they were connected via Wifi and sharing the internet. After about 3 hours we finished set up, and thought the We3G was great.

Next day all our problems began, it didn't work at all, and the logic for turning on and knowing unit status is completely flawed. It goes in to lower power mode automatically after 30 seconds, but takes longer than 30 seconds to complete booting and connecting to 3G etc, so all the LEDs go out (except low power mode indicator) and you do not know the status of the unit. We tried lots of things but could not get unit working. Being in Singapore there was no tech support in hours since the email support (though answered within 24 hours) is in USA.

Next day learned the main problem is that even though the unit is connected to my PC via USB, it runs of battery, and the battery was flat. It only charges when turned off fully. So you cannot use this unit whilst it is connected to a power source. Battery was flat basically, and no amount of fiddling with it was going to work even though it was plugged in to USB>

UNBELIEFVABLE, can you imagine if your phone could not be used when plugged in to a charger? unbelievable.

Battery life is awful, less than 4 hours, can you imagine coping with a phone that has less than 4 hours battery life,? and when plugged in to charge either has to be turned off to charge or cannot be used while chargin.

You cannot use this device for a day, even if it is connected to a power source, that is a major design fault.

Operation is also terribly unclear, indeed after it goes in to Low Power mode, you have to turn it to Full Poower On before you can turn it off, or reboot it, and all key presses are very cryptic. But the main issue I repeat is that a) it goes in to lower power mode automatically after 30 seconds and you cannot see the status of the connection LEDs and have no idea of its working, b) you cannot charge it all while using it, c) battery life is terrible

All above confirmed by the way in writing by their technical support team, who answer emails efficiently, but can't polish a turd
Can't wait to get home and return this useless piece of ****
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2011 5:52 PM GMT

Black & Decker EPC18CA 18V NiCd Cordless Drill/Driver
Black & Decker EPC18CA 18V NiCd Cordless Drill/Driver

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice tool ruined by terrible charging method., 15 Jan 2011
Got mine today, and found as mentioned in one review (if you can take the time to read them all), that it does not come with a "Battery Charger", meaning in my book, a device that you drop the battery in to that charges the battery, every other similar product I have owned (probably 3 or 4) has come with such a device. The B & D charges the battery "in situ", so a DC wall plug adaptor is used to connect to the drill and it charges the battery which is installed in that drill. You cannot even connect the DC charger directly to the battery so cannot charge a battery without tying up the tool too.

Worse still there is no LED light to tell you it is charging, or charge status (e.g. charge complete) means you are completely in the dark over battery status while charging.
You can't charge one battery (if I buy a spare( while using another)
and in my opiniong theis Wall plug DC adaptor likely to be lost, our house full of unidentifiable similar things for MP3 players, mobile phones, etc

Its not a good idea, and spoils the pleasure of owning a good quality cordless power tool, (once it is charged and in your hand)

Manual is useless, it shows the a charging dock in two different diagrams and mentions it in the manual yet it does not tell you it is an option, and does not give you a part number or model number so you can order one if you want.

B & Ds website not much better, been looking a while and still can't find a battery charger for it.

Lots more Googling and I found this: [...], the price is 50% more than I just paid for the item!

Thinking of returning the item,