Profile for Robert Alderslade > Reviews

Content by Robert Alderslade

Robert Alderslade

South Africa: History in an Hour
South Africa: History in an Hour

1.0 out of 5 stars Time for South Africa to wake up and smell the coffee, 16 Sep 2014
Anthony Holmes repeats the version of South African history that is taught in South African schools. It is a form of mass radicalisation similar to that which has become the latest world craze. In the case of South Africa, truth and integrity was sacrificed 140 years ago when Kruger first initiated a form of apartheid against the Uitlanders which led to the Boer war. While very brave and militarily capable farmers were fighting his war and dying for his cause (to prolong his corrupt, self-styled government in the Freestate) he was loading stolen gold onto a train so that he could escape via Delagoa. Meanwhile, Boer farmers who had been freed by the British to return to their farms were bullied by the Boer leaders to carry out a terrorist campaign against the British military. Well I am sure we all have our opinion of terrorism and it is difficult to condone such cowardly action. The vast majority of Boers who fought in the main conflict did so with utter and complete bravery and integrity. It was a slur to the memory of those who died so bravely that their brothers should be forced to resort to such tactics. I urge South Africans to read the truth about this part of your history, written by Arthur Conan Doyle an internationally respected author.

Calculator Free for Kindle
Calculator Free for Kindle

3.0 out of 5 stars Listen Asutosa, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Calculator Free for Kindle (App)
Ok it calculates like it is supposed to. I would like to purchase the full version but I cannot see a price. Knowing the Amazon predilection for charging my account if I blink I am not going to press the purchase full version button in the hope of finding the price out before purchasing. So a sale lost!

Magic Jigsaw Puzzles
Magic Jigsaw Puzzles

4.0 out of 5 stars One major grizzle, 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Magic Jigsaw Puzzles (App)
This is a really good app and I have had hours of fun with it. Some comments said that you cannot have a preview on screen whilst doing the puzzle - this is not true- you can.
The major gripe that I have is that the whole puzzle tends to drag too easily when trying to move one piece. This can be infuriating - and it is totally unnecessary. Once all edge pieces have been placed,there is no reason why it should not lock on screen. Or at least give us the option of locking the puzzle to the screen. How about a mod, puzzle people?

Backgammon Free
Backgammon Free

2.0 out of 5 stars Beginners only, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Backgammon Free (App)
Good to play at the lower levels of difficulty or against a human opponent. At the higher levels, the added difficulty, in my opinion, is achieved by loading the dice against you. If you have a singleton on the board, the computer opponent will hit it - guaranteed! Your throw gives you unfavourable combinations that miss opponent singletons. This brings in a level of exasperation that defeats the object of a fun game.

Enjoy Sudoku Daily
Enjoy Sudoku Daily

2.0 out of 5 stars Statistics suspect, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Enjoy Sudoku Daily (App)
This is an excellent game as long as you are not interested in how well you perform compared to other people. I do not agree with the statistics that are given so,for me, the game does not work.

Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines Book 1)
Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG, 22 May 2014
Perhaps my background in the armed services gave me a head start. In any event, I found myself transported back more than fifty years as Marko captured the atmosphere of the occasion. There was just the right amount of "futuristics" to remind me that this is a science fiction novel and the whole plot was unfolded for me in an easy to read writing style. I even started to resent meal times because it meant that I had to return to real life! Seriously one of the best science fiction stories I have ever read. Hell yes.

Solitaire
Solitaire

4.0 out of 5 stars Job well done, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Solitaire (App)
Well we have a free app that does the job, and does it very well. What's not to like? Recommended.

Spider
Spider

5.0 out of 5 stars A Slick Game, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Spider (App)
Testing (using multiple suits) and fun with a really positive interface. Even better using a pen. Recommended for all children from 4 to 99

Gray Justice (A Tom Gray Novel Book 1)
Gray Justice (A Tom Gray Novel Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Anarchic entertainment, 14 May 2014
If you like the writing of authors such as Andy McNabb you will enjoy this. I'm sure many of us have despaired at our perceived state of the justice system in which we live. Well this tale helps to exorcise those demons. A well thought out and entertaining read.