Profile for M. Lindsell > Reviews

Beyond [DVD]
Beyond [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard J. Danum

1.0 out of 5 stars Deceptive Cover, 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Beyond [DVD] (DVD)
This isn't really sci-fi at all. It is a quirky Scottish romance.

Thirteen Days [Blu-ray] [2000] [US Import]
Thirteen Days [Blu-ray] [2000] [US Import]
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnetic Drama, that Shows How to Communicate Across Barriers, 2 Feb. 2015
One of the most engaging dramas I have ever seen. Despite having seen it many times, it was showing on broadcast TV the other night, and I still couldn't resist seeing it to the end. It's like a book you can't put down. The DVD has a highly appropriate set of extras painting the true historical background. I hope the Blu-Ray does too, having just ordered it.
This film also shows how people can (and do) communicate across the barriers of language, culture, social isolation, and fear and hostility. Worth seeing for this lesson alone.

Lord Peter Wimsey - Complete Boxed Set (10 Disc) [DVD]
Lord Peter Wimsey - Complete Boxed Set (10 Disc) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian Carmichael

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly engaging mysteries, dressed with the very essence of old English charm, 2 Feb. 2015
Straight out of the era of Upstairs Downstairs, and even includes David Langton. Ian Carmichael is so charming, you could learn charm yourself just by watching this (see him demolish rudeness and hostility with charm in the 1st adventure). Dorothy Sayers' mysteries are more-or-less of Christie-an standards, and the dramatisations are extremely engaging. It's also frightfully English, don't you know.
It's 4:3 and sadly not HD, no doubt due to being made in the 70s, but I thoroughly enjoyed these adventures (only 4 out of 5 watched thus far).
Look out for Avon and Gan in their pre-Blake's 7 days.

Book of Daniel [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Book of Daniel [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by supermart_usa

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good overall, but rotten fiery furnace section, 2 Feb. 2015
Quite good. Covers the first half of Daniel quite acceptably for the most part. Has one big flaw though. When it came to my favourite, the three friends in the fiery furnace, the film makers inserted the most awful cop-out in the middle of an otherwise interesting film. You won't believe the lack of drama and effects for this part. I guess they ran out of budget, and did this last.
Don't avoid seeing it for this reason though, as the rest if the film is OK.

Star of Bethlehem [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Star of Bethlehem [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Plausible, 2 Feb. 2015
The most plausible explanation for the Star of Bethlehem I have seen or heard of. If Christmas means anything to you, you have to see this.

Mistress Of Spices [DVD]
Mistress Of Spices [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aishwarya Rai
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming, but needed on Blu-Ray, 2 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Mistress Of Spices [DVD] (DVD)
Charming film.
No, it won't make you laugh; it's a romantic comedy - the comedy tag just means it's light-hearted. If you want a warm-hearted east meets west film that brings both into a positive and harmonious light, then this is for you.
Just one tragedy - it doesn't seem to be available in Blu-Ray. I watched it on Sky in HD, so I can't explain this.

Death in Kashmir
Death in Kashmir

5.0 out of 5 stars A Long Time Favourite, 26 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Death in Kashmir (Kindle Edition)
One of my very favourite books. I purchased it on a whim on my way to join a canal holiday and read it at my leisure. It transported me into a forgotten era, with it's wonderfully descriptive narrative. There I lost myself in the mystery.
I still think of this novel wistfully, whenever I hear about the latter day unrest in Kashmir.

Thirty Minutes Worth - Series One [DVD]
Thirty Minutes Worth - Series One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harry Worth
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy, 17 Jun. 2011
To my mind, Harry Worth was one of the greatest comedians ever. Although some bits of this DVD are better than others, when at his best he really makes me fall about laughing. His knack is to take ordinary situations and utterly subvert them, whilst all the time coming across as perfectly reasonable, maintaining charm and politeness throughout.
I was quite delighted to find this.

Across Time
Across Time

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Kindle Book - Just an Unreadable Scan, 15 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Across Time (Kindle Edition)
I bought this as I think that one of David Grinnell's other works "The Edge of Time" is an all-time SF great (crying out to be made into a film!!).

However, this product is not supplied as Kindle text at all, but as a series of poorly coordinated scans, many of which stubbornly remain sideways on, however you move your device (mine's an Android smartphone). Impossibly difficult to use.

Shabbiest product I ever bought - but the book may be very good - I just don't know because I haven't been able to read it yet!

Much Ado About Nothing [DVD] [1993]
Much Ado About Nothing [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Kenneth Branagh
Offered by The Happy Zombie

2.0 out of 5 stars Superb Film - Rotten DVD, 22 July 2008
The Kenneth Branagh/Emma Thompson version of 'Much Ado About Nothing' is one of the happiest and most charming films I have ever seen (despite the tense bit in the middle and the tedious nature of the bard's original story).
This DVD is let down -so- badly by the rough and ready transfer, which has the following problems:
1) This is 1.4ish:1 and not widescreen as it says on the packaging (the original film -was- widescreen)
2) The colour in the original film was wonderful - alas not the DVD, where unsightly colour aliasing and contours are evident
3) There isn't even a decent Scene Selection capability, just a small number of whole 'acts', so it is very hard to find your place if you don't see it all the way through
4) No Extras whatever, despite the fact that there was a lovely 'making of' featurette made (I watched it on TV).

Please, please, please could we have a widescreen anamorphic reissue (Region 2) with all of the above corrected?

I for one would pay full price.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2013 9:30 PM BST