Profile for Public Different > Reviews

Content by Public Different

Public Different "Indie record label www.Publicdifferent.com"

Page: 1 | 2
eCommerce Masterplan: Your 5 Steps to Successful Online Selling
eCommerce Masterplan: Your 5 Steps to Successful Online Selling
by Chloe Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know about ecommerce in well-writted and structured book, 13 Nov. 2012
This book is divided into 2 major sections.

First section - 5 steps:

Step 1. What sort of eCommerce Business Are You?
Good chapter because it clarifies from beginning your type of business and what suits or not to you. (before we cure the disease we should diagnose it :) )

Step 2. How to build right site.
Very well explained could be little be too complicated for non-economic or marketing savvy. But you will figure it out by reading chapter couple more times.

Well, my personal advise about this subject - look at the sites of your concurrence and learn how they did.

Step 3. Cost, profit and growth.
Chapter that explains margin, the ROI, scale therms.

Step 4. Products and promotions.
Gives ideas what kind of promotions you can run. Attention! It's written very briefly, if you are looking for something step-by-step you would need to dig yourself.

Step 5. Further marketing actions.
The whole marketing mix that you would need to work on: Content, Social Media, Email marketing, payed traffic and etc.

Second section - once you are done with setting up your commerce (website done, you calculated your ROI etc), real works starts. This is highlighted in this big section.

Conclusion: I really enjoyed the book, it's well - written (except some typos - they should kick the editor), it's very up-to-date, it's written by marketing person from the field and it covers everything you need to cover for the subject very structurally. In the book author sends you regularly to her website for additional materials (working sheets, tips and up-to -date info) but I didn't use them honestly.

I highly recommend this book and I also recommend you to continue reading books on this topic because it's so broad and so complex, that you won't be able to digest it at once. Again the style of writing won't fit to everybody, and maybe you will retain other part of information with another book specialized on the topic. (like for example Email Marketing, or Google + for Business).

Feel free to share your thoughts, as I continue myself to collect books on Online marketing and eCommerce.

Poker Face: The Rise and Rise of Lady Gaga
Poker Face: The Rise and Rise of Lady Gaga
by Maureen Callahan

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly written, badly edited, 22 Mar. 2012
Bad things about this book:

The author should fire her editor! Very badly edited book: mash-up of random tabloid facts and figures, weakly sauced with author's personal vision.
I got impression the book was quickly build-up and thrown to public to catch some money from Gaga's fame shower.

Another thing that was a disappointment to me, the fact that you won't find any childhood or college footprints, neither romanesque feeling of character while reading, the whole observation is cold and amateur. I would not call it negative because we can not neglect obvious things: Lady Gaga is music and art thief, her every song is a ripoff of classics! (Born this way is copycat of Express yourself, her looks etc.) Don't take me wrong, she is fantastic performer and she works her butt off to be where she is.

Good things:

From this book you will known how and why Gaga shopped for the deal from major, how big marketing machine was activated, what roadblocks she faced - for me from professional side it was rather interesting. There a lot of material on her personal life: relationship with long-lasting love with bartender, her ex-producer, her stylist etc.
I enjoyed many revealing insights as well, it was refreshing.

Conclusion:

I hope another better written biography will pop up on this subject but I guess next time it will be named: Rise and Fall of Lady Gaga because honestly she has used all her cards as an artist.

Start an Independent Record Label (Music Business Made Simple)
Start an Independent Record Label (Music Business Made Simple)
by J S Rudsenske

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money and big dissapointment, 19 Mar. 2012
This book can only serve as table of contents of what steps are to be taken to set up a record label. The info is too general and too little, not to mention sometimes outdated.
Second thing, it's very tiresome to remind us in each and every chapter to consult author's site to buy contracts and to consult an attorney.
Third, it's very US, and lot of things are very different in EU (that is why I have not only one but three attorneys).

Book is worthless in both cases if you are already running a indie record label as I do, because all the things that are mentioned I knew, as well for newbies, because author's explanation doesnt help you to set up a indie label! He just give you an idea how major works. But you cant effort the same!
Author claims he was an record label owner but I failed to find any info about it, except that he runs an lawyer company. For me it's not a good reference.

I went through Start and Run Your Own Record Label (Start & Run Your Own Record Label) but it didnt inspire me neither, it's written hectically without any readable structure. Her record label site looks like a total mess too.

I would advise to pick up separate books on this subject. What I found very informative for myself:
1. Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook: 201 Self-Promotion Ideas for Songwriters, Musicians and Bands on a Budget
2. Networking Strategies for the New Music Business
3. Here Come the Regulars

I continue digging in this subject and will review other books I'll read on music business.

Start and Run Your Own Record Label (Start & Run Your Own Record Label)
Start and Run Your Own Record Label (Start & Run Your Own Record Label)
by Daylle Deanna Schwartz

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many direct citations in the text makes difficult to read, 20 Feb. 2012
I could blame the author for two major things:

1) inserting the huge citations from other people in each and very paragraph in the whole book! It makes the whole text very difficult to follow, why not to write the digested and formatted text and add references somewhere? It's clear, professional and how it must be. Especially, as the author claims herself ex-profession as teacher. And it's her ....th book/edition.

2)she points out the your site should be well-done, you has to be easy-found on the internet, etc. But! Herself she is not using her own advices: it's impossible to find her record label, her production company site looks egm..., her own author site looks clumsy as well. Maybe I'm too critical, but in my opinion when you arrive to the dentist and see his rotten teeth he wont inhale confidence in you...

Still, nothing venture nothing gain and I respect the author's step in show biz as I'm a woman and record label owner too.

Your Brain at Work: Strategies for Overcoming Distraction, Regaining Focus, and Working Smarter All Day Long
by David Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars I understood how to be a superwoman!, 15 Feb. 2012
When you have to babysit your own kids and work, it's ok. No big deal. But when you have to babysit numerous artists, own kids and still rock as a woman it becomes tough. Specially when you run a record label and has to be creative and business. And your brain is bursting into pieces with all calls, mails, social media follow ups, creative ideas and financial challenges. But wait a minute! I was simply not aware how to do it right! That answering email, participating on the conference call and answering mobile phone - and everything in the same time - it's not normal and literally bad for the brain, and term "multitasking" is something, invented by hungry corporates.

I highly appreciated the parts where Mr Rock provides series of case studies and their detailed analysis: initial problem situation, what went wrong and ideal situation.

What can I say? It's good time management book happily married with science. Mr Rock rocks! Me too)))

Warren Buffett's Management Secrets: Proven Tools for Personal and Business Success
by Mary Buffett

3.0 out of 5 stars No special secrets revealed, 15 Feb. 2012
You won't find any revolutionary information here if you have already managerial experience and read respective literature.

It's about notorious basics:

- Find a Job You Love and You'll Never Work a Day in Your Life
- Dont borrow money, dont live above your financial possibilities, dont create debt etc
- Delegate as much as possible, and follow up on major things
- Invest in depression, sell on grow
- Listen your managers, surround yourself with good advisers etc

If you have never had a management book in your hands, you can start with this one. But for "newers" it's too hightflyer (how young independants can use advise "invest in companies in depression"???), and for middle-management these advises are too obvious.

Another thing that bothers me, the way Mary reads each paragraph "Warren believes..", "Warren hires...", "Warren does...". We know that all these ideas come from Mr. Buffet, why should she reminds it every minute?

Networking Strategies for the New Music Business
Networking Strategies for the New Music Business
by Dan Kimpel

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have in your music literature library, 13 Feb. 2012
Personally I do believe it's not up to artist to do his own promotion, networking, marketing etc, at least you are not lucky owner of split personality. Otherwise,it kills creativity and mind freshness. Somebody else should do it for him: maintain contacts, giving courtesy calls, attending music conferences and so on.

I don't call in question that you must be presentable, able to explain what kind of music you make and willing to share to communicate easily. It's "must". But I put four stars only because I doubt about some Mr Kimpel's advises. They are not very applicable to all musicians.

In tote, I really enjoyed the reading, cynical passages and astute mind of author. It made me seek to meet Mr Kimpel for a professional conversation.

Guerrilla Music Marketing Online: 129 Free & Low-Cost Strategies to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
by Bob Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, structured, insighful, straight to the point, 8 Feb. 2012
This book will work perfectly for you if:

- you don't like fluffy introductions but straight to the point person;
- you are hectic and creative, and not patient (the book is structured in way that you can open it randomly, read a helpful advice and close it without digging the whole chapter);
- if you can find things yourself. Example: speaking about payed email services Bob mentions only two of them (Constant Contact and AWeber). But hey! you are smart, don't you? So, you can google other services that probably will help you better and are cheaper/faster/whatever. I really prefer this approach as everything on the net is easy come and go, you better just get the whole idea and keep yourself the finger on the pulse of Marketing 101's tools.

I Need a Killer Press Release--Now What???: A Guide to Online PR
I Need a Killer Press Release--Now What???: A Guide to Online PR
by Janet Meiners Thaeler

4.0 out of 5 stars Little bit too short, 8 Feb. 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book and it took me just some hours to finish it. It's pretty short, that is why I put only four stars. I think Janet should do as we musicians do - go digital and cut the price :) It will give the book five stars.

To make story short: author covers cover explain you how to write press release and make it catchy, how to spread it online (difference between payable and free services), how to use SEO and some other tips and tricks.

Highly recommended for novice entrepreneurs embracing Web opportunities.

Ultimate Guide to Facebook Advertising: How to Access 600 Million Customers in 10 Minutes (Ultimate Series)
by Perry Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful!, 8 Feb. 2012
Of course you won't access 600,000 customers in 10 min, forget it! It will take you some hundred bucks and painstaking everyday follow-up. But if 600,000 customers is your target, it's definitely an excellent tutorial. Author explains how to play around with your budget, implement different campaigns, prevent your credit card revenged by Facebook etc.

Personally, as independent record label owner, I'm not fond of this type of advertising for artists but it's interesting to give a try and this book will definitely help you out to learn basics. If you want to continue to experiment in this area, better go for specialized books like Musician's Roadmap To Facebook And Twitter.

Page: 1 | 2