ARRAY(0xa6a3e3b4)

DemonFiddler

English Translation of the Qur'an
English Translation of the Qur'an
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars A dismal, repetitive, bigoted, intolerant hell-fire-and-brimstone anachronistic rant!, 31 Aug 2013
I have long intended to read the Koran, so this free e-book was irresistible. I approached this work with an entirely open mind in the hope of gaining an insight to the (reported) beauty and peace of one of the world's major religions.

How shockingly disappointed I was to be, thus far! Yes, I am truly shocked to the core at what I found in these pages. The verses are boring and repetitive in the extreme, the same baleful injunctions appear again and again and again ad nauseum. I was disturbed by the intolerance, indeed contempt, expressed for all non-believers and shocked at the explicit and oft-repeated anti-Jewish and anti-Christian sentiment, and at the self-righteous delight taken relishing the prospect of their ultimate fate of endless torture in the fires of hell. It's not hard to see how this work could incite the impressionable and hot-headed to pursue blind Jihad 'gainst all infidels.

This work is written by men for men, to whom women are clearly subservient. Although there are strict rules governing inheritance of property, women receive the lesser share.

I'll press grimly on, because I'd like to be able to claim that I have read the Koran cover to cover, and for my opinions to be based on something more than hearsay and prejudice. I hope that later chapters hold more inspiring material.

How the World Works (Real Story (Soft Skull Press))
How the World Works (Real Story (Soft Skull Press))
Price: 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Authoritative, Shocking, Ultimately Unsurprising, 8 Feb 2013
This was my first read of Chomsky. His analysis of the cynical amorality of western, particularly US, domestic and foreign is authoritative, insightful and shocking. We see how time and again, indisputably evil acts have been perpetrated in the name of freedom and democracy but in fact serving the vested interests of powerful transnational corporations. Much of the Muslim world thinks of the USA as 'The Great Satan': in the light of this catalogue of illegal invasions, assasinations and repression, the so-called 'international war on terror' seems like the ultimate hypocrisy.

By the way, the typographical quality of the Kindle version is disappointing - the conversion process has left lots of mis-punctuations (for example, unnecessary hyphenations in mid-page). Amazon - considering the profit you must make on Kindle sales, you could and should give us better quality.

Sony Foldable Open Headphones MDR-710LP
Sony Foldable Open Headphones MDR-710LP

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, lightweight, comfortable, sound great, 16 Oct 2011
Great sound quality for the price. Stylish, lightweight and with soft, cushioned earpads is comfortable to wear. Ingeniously collapsible to stow in the transport case that can fit into a coat or trouser (though perhaps not so readily) pocket.