Profile for Lisamay > Reviews

The Reason I Jump: One Boy's Voice from the Silence of Autism
The Reason I Jump: One Boy's Voice from the Silence of Autism
by Naoki Higashida

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 5 Dec 2013
I found some of the insights this book provides into the autistic mind were helpful as the parent of such a child. However, I found "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night" even better in many ways. This book is more like a treatise on the subject, where the Dog in the Night is more like a consciousness stream.

The Coming of the Cosmic Christ
The Coming of the Cosmic Christ
by Matthew Fox

2.0 out of 5 stars An overly academic book but with some good points., 5 Dec 2013
I thought the basic idea of the book was encouraging in that the personal nature of the Christ is being questioned. But I found that the writer still remained within the framework of traditional Christianity in many other ways and was excessively academic, relying on quotations from the Bible without questioning the accuracy of the records themselves.

Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World
Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World
by HRH the Prince of Wales

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and uplifting book, 17 Mar 2013
I love this book. It is so positive and offers so much hope for the future. Prince Charles understands so much more of what needs to be done in this country than the politicians or the economists. Maybe that is why some with vested interests do not want him to become king.
I am not one of them - unless he himself feels that he would be unable to continue to stand up for what he believes in if he took on that role.

The Magic of Findhorn
The Magic of Findhorn
by Paul Hawken

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Magic of Findhorn (Paperback)
Bought for a friend and I KNOW he really loves this book and keeps referring to it. I must get a copy for myself.

Parasene Superwarm 4 Paraffin Heater
Parasene Superwarm 4 Paraffin Heater

2.0 out of 5 stars Bought for the outhouse, 9 Feb 2013
I bought this for the outhouse and then decided it was too big and changed it for a smaller one. However, I think that is a little unfair, as the reason I bought a smaller one was that my outhouse was a toilet and I was afraid of tipping it over or getting burnt on it when I used the toilet. However, the smaller one did not heat the area sufficiently, as the ceiling is very high. So I do not think I can give a fair assessment of this product.

Trail Guide to the Body: How to Locate Muscles, Bones, and More
Trail Guide to the Body: How to Locate Muscles, Bones, and More
by Andrew R. Biel
Edition: Spiral-bound

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a friend, 9 Feb 2013
I can't comment on this book as I bought it after a friend asked me to do so. It seems unfair to say nore than that they seemed very happy with it.

Anastasia (Ringing Cedars Series, Book 1)
Anastasia (Ringing Cedars Series, Book 1)
by Vladimir Megré

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by a friend, 9 Feb 2013
I don't know how much of this book is true. Some say it is all true, but I do sometimes wonder. But it is inspiring and well written. The bit I found hard to take was the idea of living naked in the woods in Siberia. Isn't it really cold there?

Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
by Sally Fallon

4.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook for noncooking cooks, 9 Feb 2013
This tells you all you need to know about getting the maximum food value from the food you prepare according to the discoveries of Weston Price. It gives instructions about making such things as sauerkraut and other fermented foods and I was told to buy it for a course I was on.

Focusing: How To Gain Direct Access To Your Body's Knowledge: How to Open Up Your Deeper Feelings and Intuition
by Eugene T Gendlin

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book for faciilitators, 9 Feb 2013
A good book for anyone who is working in the field of psychology and the link between the body and the mind. It reveals how we need to function to heal.

A New Science of Life
A New Science of Life
by Rupert Sheldrake

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: A New Science of Life (Paperback)
Rupert Sheldrake looks as the inner workings of nature and I enjoy his books. I can see why people who are alternative like them, because he is demonstrating the wonders of nature from a scientific point of view without losing the magic.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8