Profile for Mixed Bag > Reviews

Content by Mixed Bag

Mixed Bag (UK)

HP Officejet 6500A e-All-in-One Printer (Print, Scan, Copy, Fax, e-Print)
HP Officejet 6500A e-All-in-One Printer (Print, Scan, Copy, Fax, e-Print)

3.0 out of 5 stars caveat emptor - same HP model number comes in Wireless and Non-Wireless forms, 16 Jan. 2012
My neighbour made the mistake of examining the facilities of a 6500A on the web and then ordering one from here. BUYER BEWARE! HP confusingly uses the same model number for both Wireless and Non-Wireless versions of the same device.

Clue One is in the original purchase price pre-discount; the Wireless one is more epxensive, as you'd expect.

Clue Two is in the bracketed list after the model description (Print, Scan, etc); if this doesn't include the word Wireless then it probably isn't Wireless.

I hope this helps prospective purchasers. I'm about to place my own order and confess to being nervous as I definitely want the wireless capability (hence NOT ordering the device I'm reviewing here).

NB

Possession [DVD] [1981]
Possession [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ Isabelle Adjani
Offered by A2Z Entertains

2.0 out of 5 stars Art-house? That's offensive to art-house, 18 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Possession [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
Ever felt misunderstood? Because I enjoy films like the Bourne trilogy which my wife, who hates anything more violent than Tom and Jerry, can't stand to watch, she bought me this as a surprise extra Christmas present, having heard/read great reviews about it as being shocking, banned etc. I don't do horror, but there you go.

I tried, I really did. But the acting is bizarrely over the top, the storyline tenuous at best (even if you accept a monster as normal as we do these days...) with lots of seemingly pointless side plots, the gratuitous bloodfest almost laughable, the "creative" camera work just annoyingly forced, the philosophical musings pompous... should I stop? I suspect this is a favourite of the film buff/reviewer who needs to feast on something extraordinary now and again to cleanse their palate of the mass of run-of-the-mill stuf they have to sit through. But I struggle to think of a redeeming feature.

I just found it one of the most excruciating film watching experiences ever. Maybe it has its place in film-making history as it broke new ground in some way or other. I watch European films, Asian films, suspense films, romances, comedies, all sorts of stuff, even occasionally real jump-out-of-your-seat horror. But this is like a bad home or school movie project.

I have passed on all sorts of filmes to my friends and we don't always agree on what makes a good or bad film watching experience. But I can't bring myself to inflict this on anyone else.

NB

One star by instinct, two stars in recognition of the fact that I might be missing something!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2013 5:22 PM GMT

Closing Time
Closing Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Nowt as queer as folk..., 6 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Closing Time (Audio CD)
I was gobsmacked to read one reviewer here saying they "can't see the attraction". This is one of my (and my wife's) most frequently played albums. This was our introduction to Tom Waits and though we have many other albums from across his varied repertoire, this is the one we enjoy most; some of the others impress, others interest, and others have their moments, but Closing Time will always be THE Waits album for me.

Hope this helps to introduce someone else to a huge talent.

Half The Perfect World
Half The Perfect World
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant enough, 27 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Half The Perfect World (Audio CD)
I thought Careless Love was excellent, bought the first album on the strength of that and liked some tracks but some I just switched off to, and bought this latest on the basis of the average experience of the two... To my ears, there are some fine songs here, ably performed but as a whole the album does not (after 3-4 listens anyway) deliver what Careless Love does.

I don't suppose there are many people out there who like Peyroux and also like early Tom Waits but if you know the original Saturday Night then listening to Peyroux's version is like listening to Rolf Harris doing Stairway to Heaven.

I'm sticking it on iTunes and the iPod and I'll give it the ultimate benefit-of-the-doubt test which is to stick anything questionable on the car stacker and play it at least ten times over the next month. It's not a hi-fi experience (10-speaker Bose though) but it's immersive and if that doesn't work for me nothing will.

Three stars seems a little harsh as I can't put my finger on anything specific but Careless Love is a genuine 5-star and I simply can't see this being picked off the shelf anywhere near as often.

Same story with Norah Jones' second, but that's another review...

FLOR DE AMOR
FLOR DE AMOR

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for the Buena Vista brand!, 16 May 2004
This review is from: FLOR DE AMOR (Audio CD)
I loved the Buena Vista Social Club album on first hearing and still do. It's always fresh and I never tire of it. I have also bought a number of spin-off albums and they have almost universally disappointed.
This is different though. At only second listening, the songs already start to feel familiar; at fifth, it is as chilled and comfortable as ... a pair of old slippers fresh out of the fridge? Well, something cool and relaxing anyway.
This is a seriously good album, highly recommended. And I'm off to explore her earlier works.