Profile for Cornelius Z_G > Reviews

Content by Cornelius Z_G

Cornelius Z_G "CZG" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Brighton & Hove on This Day: History, Facts & Figures from Every Day of the Year
by Dan Tester

5.0 out of 5 stars A witty portrait of a unique city, 17 Dec. 2015
An excellent book about Brighton that is really put together with lots of grabby and punchy stories about the City. Well written, smart, funny - it reflects the place that I live, and also tells us a little more about it.

Sylvanian Families Hamster Baby (One Figure Supplied)
Sylvanian Families Hamster Baby (One Figure Supplied)
Offered by Rowse Department Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars somewhere in the great Sylvanian empire has either a wicked sense of humor ..., 5 Nov. 2014
This is too important to go unnoticed... Sylvanian Families have released a pair of toys named "Neil and Christine Hamilton"... yes you read that correctly. Someone, somewhere in the great Sylvanian empire has either a wicked sense of humor and is hoping that there boss does not notice, or they are a closet UKIP voter and has performed of patriotic subversion in the hope that we'll come to associated the UK's exit from Europe with these cute little critters.

I'm not sure which - they are either a genius or an idiot... and I can't decide which!

Aluminium Foil 18" (450mm x 75m) - industrial size for your kitchen or professional establishment

5.0 out of 5 stars Now you can be Paul Ross too!, 4 Oct. 2012
After years over excessive and somewhat over enthusiastic use the photo on my Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross finally wore away and fell, tired and beaten, to the floor. I was unable to afford the £6500 price for a brand new replacement and so hung several strips of 18"Catering Aluminium Foil over the frame, in the hope that this would somehow fill the void that had been opened up in my life. Imagine my joy when I looked once more at the picture and saw that my own crumpled and faded reflection had taken Paul's place!

Me as Paul, Paul as me! As one at last!

Quickly I found myself a white mug, a black wig and a knowingly smug expression and then set them up so I could in front of my foil for hour upon hour upon hour of mildly crinkled Ross impersentation fun. What bliss!

Playmobil Gift Egg Mongolian Warrior On Horse
Playmobil Gift Egg Mongolian Warrior On Horse
Offered by JuniorToys

4.0 out of 5 stars The best toy Mongolian Warrior on the market, 6 Jan. 2012
My three year old son and I have purchased numerous Mongolian warriors in recent months and many have been flimsy, with dull colouring and disappointing droopy moustaches.

Then we came upon this fine figure who is sturdy, bright and has a splendid, fesity set of facial hair.

We are happy now and can savely say that if you are considering buying your child a Mongolian warrior this is the one to get (though he does come with a lot of deatchable spear tassles that quickly get lost).

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars It is really really small... you have to realise that, 6 Jan. 2012
It's twice the size of an AA battery, which is obvious from the picture... now I bother to look, but I didn't quite notice that... and it's range is about...well roughly the same. An twice the length of a AA battery.

So it's not so useful for finding things in the dark, which sort of defeats the purpose of a torch in many ways doesn't it?

Mind you - it is pink and really well made, it does have that going for it...

How Tom Beat Captain Najork and His Hired Sportsmen
How Tom Beat Captain Najork and His Hired Sportsmen
by Russell Hoban

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest book written in the English Language, 6 Jan. 2012
Well okay I'm sure there have been a few others - but none that cover the sport of sneedball in such comprehensive and fine detail.

Funny, touching, moving and mildly insane.

Fantastic!

A Near Thing for Captain Najork
A Near Thing for Captain Najork
by Russell Hoban

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent eccentric fun, 6 Jan. 2012
This is a great piece of writing with lots of energy, fantastic illustrations from Blake and a very eccentric and English feeling story from Russell Hoban - which is odd because he's American - but there is an madness to both the Najork books that only an upperclass Anglophile could produce (or so you'd think). Lovely stuff!

Freedomland
Freedomland
by Richard Price

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of his best, 6 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Freedomland (Hardcover)
I loved Clockers, liked Lush Life and well... he wrote for the Wire so he doesn't have to earn any stars with me... but this piece was really lacking.

It was slow, very slow and populated with characters who I couldn't quite buy in to - it felt like I was reading a sequence of character portraits or perhaps even his notes from researching and talking with people as he developed this book. In instance in too many sequences character just settle down and tell the reader their back story and why they are doing something, you don't get to learn about the characters so much through their actions or mannerisms but through lengthy exposition.

The dialogue is lacking, it's flat and this is Richard Price. He is the best writer of dialogue or at least of street brogue working today.

I'm not giving up on him as a writer by a long way but I'd swerve this one unless you are a completist.

Afterlight
Afterlight
by Alex Scarrow

3.0 out of 5 stars You know it's not good for you... but you can't help reading it!, 6 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Afterlight (Paperback)
Slap bang in the middle with three stars for this one. Afterlight is a guilty pleasure - you know it isn't very good for you, the characters are pretty two dimensional and the author seems to have a weird hang-up about teenage hoodies and yardies that carries over from Last Light - but you can't put it down. "Just one more chapter... I've got to see what happens next... the next scene and then I'll sleep".

Reading it was like bingeing on a tup of choclate ice - you know you are going to regret it and you know it contains no nutritional values but you keep shovelling it down.

He can also write a damn good nemesis - his villans have a quality of familarity to them - they are familiar, annoying and you want them to fall because somehow you know them.

Overall it's a guilty secret - that won't win any awards - but serves as great entertainment in which you don't totally disengage your brain.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable especially when you consider the cost..., 15 Dec. 2011
I'm not convinced by this product.

I've had nothing with problems with my one, especially with the battery.

If you leave it for a while it goes in a battery protection mode which means that it won't charge. This happens all the time (I'd guess every year because it's not going to be used during the summer). When it locks out like this all you to do is to press down and hold the re-set button, or when that doesn't work (and this is from the company's web-site) you disassemble the machine, unplug the battery from the circuit board for five minutes, re-plug it, reasseble the machine and then when it reboots in 'demo'mode you press and hold the on/off button and it should start charging again... or if that doesn't work... well then you get a new one.

All this is fine - but you have to remember that this is a light. A light that you turn on and then you turn off, and then back on again (and so on). I have a torch that uses this basic binary on/off function and it seems to work pretty well without requiring a reset button or being booted from demo mode - maybe I should send it to the manufacturers of the Litebox as an example ohow they should re-design their product using a radical "on/off er that's it" design.

As it stands it appears that my Litebook is sadly of no further use - I must have used it perhaps 20 times - so that's £7 per go - which is the cost of 2 pints of beer, a trip to the cinema, an album of music tracks from Amazon or a couple of tubs of choclate ice cream - each of which would have probably cheered me up than this product!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 6:30 PM BST