Profile for Oh Dear... > Reviews

Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue Eau de Toilette - 100 ml
Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue Eau de Toilette - 100 ml
Offered by UK Fragrance Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars The lady I bought it for loved it!, 1 Aug. 2014
The lady I bought it for loved it!

Milano 2kW Modern Electric Fan Heater IP21 - Black & Silver
Milano 2kW Modern Electric Fan Heater IP21 - Black & Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars A Reasonably Priced Fan Heater., 5 Dec. 2013
I'm going to keep this a brief as I can, and it's still early days, but so far I am very impressed with this fan heater.

The heater is Italian made and has two heat settings. I've found that the hotter, 2kW, setting will heat up my small bed room and on suite bath room in around 10 to 15 minutes. Once the room temperature is reached, the built in thermostat will then maintain the temperature by cycling the heater on and off every 20 minutes or so.

It is very light and portable, and small enough to fit in the draw of my bedside cabinet for easy storage.

I basically bought this heater to help heat my room, as it's existing radiator is ineffective in very cold weather. Would recommend this heater.

Berghaus Unisex Windy Stopper Gloves - Black, Medium
Berghaus Unisex Windy Stopper Gloves - Black, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars They keep my hands warm, what more can I say?, 22 Jun. 2013
I bought 2 pairs of these gloves as a replacement to a pair of Berghaus gloves that accidentally got lost, and had given me many years of service. I expect these gloves will do the same, and if I do end up loosing another well I've got that covered as well!

Billion BiPAC 8200M VDSL2 Modem (Black)
Billion BiPAC 8200M VDSL2 Modem (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great modem, if you want to be over indulgent!, 22 Jun. 2013
If your looking for an alternative to the Huawei modem supplied for BT Infinity, ie: so you can keep the Huawei as a spare, then this modem works well, will do the job your asking it to, and will give consistent line speed (unlike the ECI modem I had previously). But be warned, during a line training period you will still need to use the BT supplied modem, as it appeared to me that the Billion is not 100% compatible with BT Infinity/line training. Also, I can only guarantee that it will work with a DSLM cabinet configured for a Huawei modem, as this is the modem I was supplied with as part of the repair to my Infinity connection.

IPOD Video 30GB/Classic 80GB Extended Battery 550mAh
IPOD Video 30GB/Classic 80GB Extended Battery 550mAh
Offered by The Battery Specialist

5.0 out of 5 stars It works! What more can I say?, 15 Feb. 2013
I have to agree with a previous reviewer, it simply does the job! I had the back off in no time, using the provided tool and the blade of a small pen knife. The whole job was done a dusted in 20 minutes.

Dance Hall At Louse Point
Dance Hall At Louse Point

3.0 out of 5 stars It has it's moments, but....., 3 Aug. 2005
Has three good tracks; "Civil War Correspondent", "Is That All There Is?" and "Heela". But if your short of cash I'd advise you to spend it on one of her other albums.

Uh Huh Her
Uh Huh Her

5.0 out of 5 stars Uh Huh Her: A review., 27 July 2005
This review is from: Uh Huh Her (Audio CD)
I came to know of P.J. Harvey's music thanks to "Later....With Jools Holland". She has made several appearances on his show over the years, most recently in 2004. I also remember watching a televised concert, I think it was held at the Brixton Academy just before John Peel died, which (I think) was shown on ITV. I decided that I liked what I had heard and that I would try and find out more about Polly and her music.
But what finally prompted me to go out and buy this album was the untimely death of John Peel in October 2004. John, as I'm sure many readers will already know, had been a long-time fan of Harvey since 1991. She performed a number of sessions for him over the years, including one in 2004 just prior to his death.
While listening to the album I removed the booklet from the CD case, looking for lyrics (and clues), to see what the songs were about. But instead of finding lyrics what I found was a series of pictures with handwritten notes. The pictures are self portraits, and appear to have been taken over the past 15 years, and seem to have inspired the feelings behind the songs. For the most part they seem to be sad pictures and they give me the impression that:
a) Polly Jean appears not to have had an entirely happy relationship with her parents, especially her mother.
b) That she was an only child, and seems to have had either an unhappy or lonely childhood. A child full of woe....
c) I wonder if Polly was a bit of a tom boy when young?.
I would suspect that the first three pictures were taken when she still lived with her parents, possibly when at art college, possibly taken before she came to London. The next three were perhaps taken when she came to London, to study for her degree, though the scarf says to me late 80's (school uniform scarf?). I wonder if the one in the middle was taken when still at school?, or possibly in the early 90's. The next two pictures are very pop, and must have been taken later when she became famous. The next picture is a black and white, and shows Polly on a horse, apparently taken when she was young. The next picture was obviously taken during her art student days, judging by the way she is dressed, I would say that it must have been taken in the late 80's or early 90's. I wouldn't like to say when the next five pictures were taken, though I believe she now lives in the US, and suspect that at least one of them was taken there. Plus it looks as if they were all taken in her bathroom, or in women's toilets!?. Possibly these pictures were taken when she was on tour?. The last picture is modern. It appears to have been taken in the same apartment as the "What the f**k?" video.
They say that every picture tells a story, but I can only guess at what these pictures are saying. An obsession with oneself perhaps?. This is how I was and how I was feeling at such and such a time seems a much more likely explanation. But I suppose the main question is: What are these pictures supposed to tell the listener, if anything?. I can only conclude that Polly is trying to give the listener an insight into the emotional and creative process behind each of the songs. This picture montage being a work of art in it's own right.
P.J. Harvey's music is deep stuff. It soon becomes clear that the album must be autobiographical, a feeling that has only been re-enforced having recently heard "Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea". They are all sad songs, tainted with loneliness, sadness, love (or perhaps a lack of it), death and relationship problems. It is her voice and her story of her life. The songs, I believe, were inspired by real events in her life. Chronicling her relationship with her parents, especially her mother (and/or possibly her grandmother/grandparents?), as well as with boyfriends and lovers. It all seems to be very personal, that she is baring her soul to the listener.
My favorite tracks on this album were "The Pocket knife", "The letter" and "The slow drug".