Profile for D. P. Lomax > Reviews

adidas Men's Climachill T-Shirt - Solar Blue/Black, Medium
adidas Men's Climachill T-Shirt - Solar Blue/Black, Medium
Offered by Lovell Rugby

5.0 out of 5 stars Adidashing!, 25 Aug 2014
Gorgeous top, perfect fit. I love adidas gear. Medium fits medium/large. Colour is very vivid and so nice. Great value for money. Delivery very prompt. Very happy customer. Fantastic overall service.

Outer Limits
Outer Limits
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars and it is a rare something as good as this comes along and totally blows you away, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Outer Limits (Audio CD)
Ive listened to hundreds of metal albums over a 30 year span, and it is a rare something as good as this comes along and totally blows you away. Voivod are a very recent discovery to me, id obviously heard of them but never checked them out. These guys are the most original, unique band ive ever heard.outer limits is pure gold. I was sad to find their ultra talented guitarist piggy had passed away. What a guy, what unique guitar work. Anyway, outer limits isnt thrash metal its just a beautifully accessible, amazingly atmospheric, hard rock album.

Btw, i was blown away to find these guys had found a guitarist (daniel 'chewie' mongraine that can actually execute piggy riffs note for note. Check out target earth, what a corker. Voivod, youve made me proud, once again, to be a metal fan.

Illud Divinum Insanus
Illud Divinum Insanus
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern metal for open minded metal fans., 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: Illud Divinum Insanus (Audio CD)
This album certainly polarises opinion, pretty much unlike anything ive seen. Not even lulu comes close. Anyway, ive always liked the guys, but theyre not one of my favourite bands. I really dont care about earlier styles and how the new one stacks up against them. I just open my ears, removed bias and listened. I guess thats why i find this album so catchy and modern. There is some stuff that is radically different like too extreme or destructos, but theres also some classic MA stuff too which certainly doesnt warrant one star ratings. Lots of knee jerking and overreaction i think, but anyhow, if your openminded dont let the majority of one star reviews distract you, as it did me, from giving this album i go. I respect MA for trying something new and producing quality tracks such as blades for baal, nevermore, existo vulgore etc.

Dream Theater - Live At Tokyo Sun Plaza
Dream Theater - Live At Tokyo Sun Plaza

2.0 out of 5 stars Not dvd audio, 25 Aug 2013
This isnt dvd audio as described, its a dodgy live recording of dt on dvd video. The only reason i didnt get a refund is coz i love dt and prefer to collect stuff by these guys even if its tat. Check out live at the budokan or live scenes from a memory before buying a poorly recorded t u r d like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for ALL suicidal fans., 7 April 2013
This review is from: 13 (Audio CD)
The first thing fans will want to know is which suicidal have turned up for this record? The thrashers, the punks, the funks, the crossovers? The simple answer is all of them. This is one hell of a catchy cd that seems to take the best of all areas and delivers them all with aplomb. Its instantly catchy, infectious and most of all its fun, and this is what suicidal do best. Ive been listening to this cd with a grin on my face because ive fallen in love with suicidal once more.
Mike is as cyco as ever, mike clarke takes a back seat, but hey dean pleasant total rips up some brutal lead fills with the most outrageous wah-wah. There lovely slap, funk bass and awesome drumming from the band. Its all tight and clinical, and a sound only a band with this much experience could produce. One thing i will say is that its not just another rehash of old stuff, this is a very strong, positive, step in a new direction whilst obviously doffing their caps at the old-school. I was also very pleased to hear an art of rebellion-esque track too. Dont hesitate to buy 13 if you once loved this band, coz i guarantee suicidal will be your favourite band all over again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 11:30 PM BST

Operation: Mindcrime: Remastered
Operation: Mindcrime: Remastered

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awesome, 17 Nov 2011
I hold my head in shame.being a metal fan for over 25 years and only just discovering how awesome queensryche are. Operation mindcrime is one the very rock albums ive had the privilege to listen to. Wailing guitars amazing leads great vocal delivery from gt, drumming is par excellence, just love this stuff to bits. Need to catch up on everything else theyve done. What a fool i am!

Dream Theater Metropolis Pt 2Scenes From A Memory Authentcguitar Tab Edition (Authentic Guitar-Tab)

1.0 out of 5 stars Scenes from a nightmare, 25 July 2011
Ok, first off - this is my favourite ever band and probably my favourite ever album. This review is for the kindle tab version of the guitar book. I purchased this thinking that it would be neat to have all the guitar notes at my fingers, stored on my ipad rather than adding to my mountain of guitar tab books. Anyhow, upon opening the tab edition i could instantly see just how small the tab numbers were on the screen, not a problem, i'll just zoom in! Now here's where the main issue is; if you use your thumb and index finger to zoom the tab numbers, the definition of the tab itself just disintegrates! It's akin to to zooming in on a 7kb jpeg on your laptop, it just becomes pixelated and blocky; you can't see the numbers. I really coudn't distinguish between 6 and 0. If you double tap the screen, the page itself separates from the book and allows a little more visibility, as the sheet becomes 'stand alone'. However, because this happens, the flow of music becomes totally lost as you have to then close this page off to go back to the main body tab. This method is very slow and cumbersome. Now if you want to learn each section of music bitesize maybe its not so bad, but when there are so many notes, you really need it to flow and see just what notes are ahead of you. This music is just too fast and complex to sit there squinting or using a magnifying glass to be able to read it. I guess as i've used guitar tab software packages i was expecting a similar size of font and clarity of instruction, unfortunately what you get is almost a photocopied port from the original book thats offers miniscule sized text that loses definition on zooming. There is no hope to anyone even remotely being able to emulate the legend that is petrucci with this tabversion as an aid. I'm going back to basics and buying the paper version!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2011 9:32 AM BST

Paradise Lost - Draconian Times (Legacy Edition)
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times (Legacy Edition)
Offered by hifi-media-store

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how re-releases should all be done!, 19 April 2011
Ok, firstly I'm not going to give you all a low-down on the tracks or the album. I guess if you are here to check out this re-release you already know that alongside Icon, Draconian Times is Paradise lost's greatest work.

The repackaging: The original package to this cd was awful. A black, pseudo-felt lined box with flimsy card cd case. The saving grace was the beautiful artwork contained within. Here on the Legacy Edition you get the most beautiful hard cover 'book type' case with all the elegant artwork contained throughout. Alongside the original artwork are the lyrics and brief notes from the band members, as they share their thoughts, experiences and memories from the classic paradise lost period. This cd packaging is the most beautifully designed and produced that I own in my collection, which is good going because I have a fairly extensive collection.

The main reason for purchasing this remastered and repackaged edition was solely to buy the 5.1 mix, as I love my dvd-a and 5.1 surround mixes.
The low-down is this:
This 5.1 disc may not have the resolution of a dvd-a (btw, I don't care about the specifics of 96/24 vs dts or dolby digital, or whatever) all I want to say is that this disc is mind-blowing. The sound quality of this surround is absolutely awesome. The production and mastering for this special version are absolutely first-class. Each track seems to sound brand new and fresh once again, almost like you're hearing it for the first time. Every track I pick out things I don't recall hearing before, new drum beats, new guitar notes, new bass lines. It sounds sublime. The front central speaker is reserved solely for Nick Holmes voice and he just gives one of my favourite vocal performances ever. It really does send a shiver down the spine. This is what music is all about IMO, tapping into the raw emotions that make us love this kind of music; and with such an unbelievable sounding remaster it can't possibly fail to give this experience to everyone that bought and loved this disc 16 years ago! Enjoy! Please give us Icon in 5.1 next.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2011 9:02 PM BST

Devolution
Devolution

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrashtastic, 22 Sep 2010
This review is from: Devolution (Audio CD)
I bought this cd from amazon 2 years when it first came out after receiving 9 out of 10 in metal hammer. Two years later I finally got round to giving this a listen. My jaw hit the floor, this is one of the most solid, professional thrash metal bands I've ever heard. Why on earth did it take me so long to check this disc out? I'm not sure which bands to liken Destruction to, but anyway who needs comparisons, these guys are veterans and just a class act. The guitar riffs and drumming are an unrelenting full-on thrash assault, the vocals are good sturdy thrash vocals nothing out of this world but they do the job required. As a treat there are guest appearances from the likes of gary holt (No.1 thrash guitarist/songwriter in the world) and jeff young, yes that's right jeff young, circa megadeth mid 80s. there are also a few others that i'm not familiar with. Whilst being instantly accessible, there is plenty of meat on this disc to keep you going for ages. Destruction it's time to check out the back catalogue.

Tone Deaf Music Celluloid Guitar Picks/Plectrums (Pack of 18)
Tone Deaf Music Celluloid Guitar Picks/Plectrums (Pack of 18)

5.0 out of 5 stars These picks won't pleck you down!, 7 May 2010
Ok. I'll keep this simple. I'm not a musical genius or a guitar virtuoso, but what I will say is this: I bought these plectrums about 6 months ago. The plectrums are of varying thickness from ultra-fine to door-stopper sized ones. Whatever your style of music, there can be no doubt there is one to suit your style here. The plectrums are of very good quality and do not wear away quickly. I like to use plectrums around 0.7 and have been shredding away for a few months (with the same one) without detriment to the pick itself. The coating does not fade and you won't end up with bits of plastic crumming up the fretboard or the pickups. There's not a lot more to say about these little bits of plastic, other than they are cheap, there are lots of 'em and they work well. I've only ever used the most popular brand before trying these and initially I didn't like switching, but nowadays I prefer the shape and size of these new ones. I shall definitely be buying more in the future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5