Profile for Rosian-Dubh > Reviews

Content by Rosian-Dubh

Rosian-Dubh (Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker - Grey
CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace at Last!, 23 Oct. 2013
After years of being bombarded by enless trash, 'survey' and cold-selling calls I saw this wee gizmo for sale. Could this be the answer to my telephone calls problem? I had previously asked BT if they could do something about the calls and they helpfully suggested I pay them even more money and they would try and do something about it. I bought the call blocker and lo and behold peace, perfect peace. The telephone invaders were banished. What a wonderful product and the best value for money item I've ever bought. What a relief not to be called to the phone only to see one of these pests on the dial. My only regret is that I didn't see it sooner. It's small and unobtrusive and comes with masses of known hoaxers and problem callers numbers already pre-loaded and then you can simply push a button and add any of your own. Wonderful. I just loved saying to one caller that I was now blocking him and pressing the button. Buy one, you won't regret it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2013 12:38 PM BST

The Competition Bicycle: the Craftsmanship of Speed: A Photographic History
The Competition Bicycle: the Craftsmanship of Speed: A Photographic History
by Jan Heine

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book . . . but beware!, 17 Mar. 2012
This is indeed a beautiful book and something of a work of art. There is only one problem for me. It is not a new book but the old 'Competition Bicycle' with the Eddy Merckx bike on the cover. It has been given a new jacket and slightly altered title. So if you have the older book just remember that this one is the same. One major plus for it is that the price is very cheap when compared to the original title which was very expensive. So, if you don't have the first book, it's a very good buy.

Death of Kings (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 6)
Death of Kings (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 6)

3.0 out of 5 stars It this another Sharpe series?, 12 Oct. 2011
When will the final battle take place and the series finally finish. It's been a book too long already and everything seems to have been done before. This book was a stretched out example of Bernard's commercial arm that seems to say 'keep it going for as long as possible.' If it doesn't end with the next book then I must say goodbye to Mr Cornwell who, to my mind, is stringing us along and serving up a never-ending, but not as good, copy of the Sharpe series with mail and swords.

Kirkintilloch in Old Picture Postcards
Kirkintilloch in Old Picture Postcards
by Don Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Nostalgic Views of Kirkintilloch, 29 Mar. 2011
Unfortunately this book is now out of print and I had to purchase a used edition through Amazon. The book has an amazing series of vintage photos and postcards from the town. It's a lovely look back in time and great to see Kirkintilloch in a more appealing era. Don Martin, the author, has put together a very interesting and varied photographic record and his writing on the various subjects is first class. A must for anyone interested in the town.

World Beneath My Bicycle Wheels
World Beneath My Bicycle Wheels
by Walter Stolle

5.0 out of 5 stars Surely the world record for cycle touring?, 19 Feb. 2011
I was given this book to read by a pal and just had to get my own copy. Walter told his girl friend, Maria, he'd be away for three years. He came back 18 years later. Did she wait for him? I'll leave you to find that out.

Here's a bit of the blurb from the back cover:

As he pedalled his way for 400,000 miles Walter Stolle visited an amazing total of 159 countries. In the first 18 mnonths he covered 32,000 miles, he said, in his bid to create a record.

The longest non-stop run was 20 hours when he rode 232 miles across Germany. He wore out six bicycles, had five stolen and arrived home on his 12th, having repaired an estimated 1000 punctures on the way.

He reckoned he was robbed 231 times, usually by pick-pockets or thieves stealing from his bicycle bags. He was mugged seven times . . . including twice in one day by two gangs of youths in Jakarta. ''I left on the next boat,'' he said.

The 18-year trip took nearly six times as long as the first circumnavigation by Ferdinald Magellan who sailed round the world between September 20, 1519 and September 6, 1522.

The book was published by Pelham Books, London, in 1978. ISBN 0 7207 1070 7.

It's a tremendous read, very well written and with more than a touch of fun.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Fort
The Fort

2.0 out of 5 stars Another pot-boiler from Bernard., 14 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Fort (Paperback)
I'm becoming quite used to Bernard giving us the odd mediocre offering. Usually most of his books are real page-turners, but I'm afraid this one was a chapter a night stuff. There wasn't a really top character you could follow throughout the story. It was quite a dull read and it took me all my time to finish it. I think he's been churning out too many books and he may need to have a long holiday and think seriously about what he's going to do next time. I can't see myself pre-ordering anything else from him somehow.

The Burning Land (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 5) (Alfred the Great 5)
The Burning Land (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 5) (Alfred the Great 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Bees Didn't Really Work, 19 Nov. 2009
As a Bernard Cornwell fan I look forward to his latest novel arriving at Amazon. The latest series has been pretty good, although I feel it is being a little stretched out as we still await Uhtred's battle to regain his lost inheritance.
This latest book was coming along quite well, but it was not a page-turner for me and I didn't have the desire to read it in a couple of goes.
The final battle, which involved throwing bee hives over the fortress wall was, to my mind, lucicrous and ruined the book.
I'm afraid I just couldn't take the novel seriously after that.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2010 3:26 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb re-print of Eileen Sheridan's autobiography, 6 May 2009
Having a copy of the original Wonder Wheels, I decided to buy this re-print and compare them. I was not disappointed, the quality of the book is absolutely brilliant. The cloth-covered hardback is now red instead of yellow and there's a nice photo of Eileen and Ken on the back and the byline has been dropped from the jacket. Anyone who buys this book will be delighted and Mercian Manuals have done everyone interested in cycling a real service. The photos are great and the book makes fantastic reading. No one could read this book without being amazed at the power and grace this lady showed in her record-breaking prime.

In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour de France Cyclist
by Richard Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Long overdue recognition, 19 Jun. 2007
After years of wondering if we would ever see a book on Robert Millar, Scotland's cycling super star, Richard Moore has produced a stunner. It really is a 'warts and all' story, and none the worse for that. I read it in two sittings and was completely held by the writing. There's an amazing amount of detail in the book, despite Robert not having a great deal to do with it, although he gives it his blessing and adds some email comments on various aspects. His explanation of the EPO testing criteria was very interesting indeed, especially the different rules regarding cyclists and cross-country skiers for example. This is a must buy for anyone remotely interested in bike racing. Well done Richard, you've done Robert proud.

Love of Cooking
Love of Cooking
by Sonia Allison

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Cookery Book We've Ever Owned, 27 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Love of Cooking (Hardcover)
I was given this book as a present when it was printed in the 'seventies and it has undoubtedly been the best one I have ever owned. Over the years we have bought tons of cookery books from all the 'famous' chefs and this one beats the lot for recipes that really work and we keep on using it. Unfortunately it is now in tatters through over-use, not like Delia, Jamie, Rick, Fat Ladies, etc., whose books lie in pristine condition on their shelves. It really should be reprinted, I am sure the demand would be fantastic given a bit of publicity. Why there was no reprint or even a softback edition escapes me.

Page: 1 | 2