ARRAY(0xa3c1c114)

Profile for Reader > Reviews

Content by Reader

Reader

The Best Little Girl in the World (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
The Best Little Girl in the World (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
by Steven Levenkron

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth reading, 20 April 2006
While I understand that people view this book as setting anorexic standards to the anorexic, I do consider this to be a good book. I think it is important to bear in mind the time period that this was written in (it's a pretty early book on ED considering it was first published in 1979).

I think it showed people who had no idea about anorexia what it really is and the danegrs of it. Of course now it is important to show that anorexia is far more complex than just not eating, going into hospital and then getting better.... and those that have experience of eating disorders realise how unrealistic that is. But novels limit what an author can do realistically. I believe the aim of Levenkron was to highlight the problem of anorexia at a time when people were pretty much uninformed about it.

Despite the book being your 'standard anorexic story' I still think it is worthy of a read. At least suffers can feel they are not alone.

The Echo Glass
The Echo Glass
by Heather Morrall

5.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere, 20 April 2006
This review is from: The Echo Glass (Paperback)
I am not a teenager but as I have an interest in anorexia I decided to read this book.

It follows three years of Jasmine's life (as EDd people know, an ED does not come and go in a short period of time). She faces emotional bullying and as a result struggles to deal with life. She then falls into the trap of anorexia without really realising or understanding it.

There are some stunning scenes that had me at the edge of my seat unable to put the book down. It becomes apparent at the end of the novel what `the echo glass' actually stands for (there are various suggestions throughout which makes you think you've worked it out earlier but the real meaning comes later). Once Jasmine understands what the Echo Glass is the way is made clear for a possible step towards recovery. The book realistically deals with an eating disorder and as a result does not have the cliched `happy ending,' (as many are aware these certainly don't occur over night!) The hint of optimism and a possible way forward are apparent but we are never sure if Jasmine takes this route or not (though the ending is far from depressing as we feel Jasmine has a new understanding). What we do know is that she has learnt what it is inside her and that she has the support of true friends.

The book is not only realistic in its dealings with eating disorders and bullying but it gives insight into the way that EDd people think. The imagery throughout gives depth. It also deals with therapy in an interesting and thought-provoking way.

All in all I would recommend this book.