Profile for Suzanne Ryder > Reviews

Downton Abbey: A Moorland Holiday (Christmas Special 2014) [Blu-ray]
Downton Abbey: A Moorland Holiday (Christmas Special 2014) [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting lost in another time, 30 Jan. 2015
I got lost in this wonderfully rich drama. Possibly it is my romantic streak but I really enjoy the human touches of compassion in Downton Abbey. It still makes my mind boggle that people actually lived like that but I get some sort of vicarious pleasure when I indulge myself in viewing it all.

Tea With Mussolini (1999) [DVD]
Tea With Mussolini (1999) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cher

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Place, Another Time, 30 Jan. 2015
This is a lovely complex mix of disparate characters. Much of it shows them in an exaggerated form but the comedy is all the more for that. On a historical note, I found it revealing to be in that Italian World War II moment and this was enlightening.

The Grand Budapest Hotel [DVD]
The Grand Budapest Hotel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ralph Fiennes
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Audience, 30 Jan. 2015
I enjoyed this film when I watched it first in the cinema and felt my brother would enjoy it. It therefore went as a Christmas gift to his house. I was most surprised when it turned out that his teenagers were the ones who laughed most! It became central viewing for another group of teenagers, when they met during the Christmas holidays.

By Breath
By Breath

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty in voice, presentation and message, 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: By Breath (Audio CD)
The music on this collection brings me to another place in myself. Sara's clear voice shares a message of peace and depth. I have shared it with others, who too have been transported to another realm.

As It Is in Heaven [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
As It Is in Heaven [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by Newtownvideo_EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep reflections on what it means to be human., 9 Nov. 2014
Excellent film and one to re-watch several times. The subtitles were no obstacle to getting the deep messages and to the opening it gives in exploring what it means to be human.

Scars: Essays, Poems and Meditations on Affliction
Scars: Essays, Poems and Meditations on Affliction
by Paul Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars Scars offers surprises, 18 July 2014
This is a fascinating book, full of surprises. The different writing styles throughout made it most interesting. The overall message of there being a redeeming possibility in suffering is one I needed to hear. Contemporary stories from Rwanda and from death row in South Africa, among other wonderful accounts from the Holocaust camps gave a comprehensive background to this alternative way of being. Paul Murray also gave a beautiful sprinkle of quotations of such figures as Catherine of Siena who, though living some centuries ago, still has a message for our time. Perhaps the most moving part for me was at the end. Paul's insights into the last words of Christ were most touching and remain with me.

Song for Marion [DVD] [2012]
Song for Marion [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Gemma Arterton
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Compassion at the heart of life, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Song for Marion [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
This is a beautiful film with hope at its centre. We are not spared the difficulties experienced by an elder generation or those experiencing illness, yet the power of music and the wonder of love are obvious means towards transformation.

Watching The Detectives [DVD] [2007]
Watching The Detectives [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Cillian Murphy
Offered by Fulfillment Next Day

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of escapism, 28 May 2014
I chose this rating because of the different nature of this film's theme, as well as the superb acting of the cast. It is a most unusual drama, with constant surprise and turn of events. I would recommend it for anyone wishing some time out of the ordinary.

No Greater Love [DVD]
No Greater Love [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Whyte

5.0 out of 5 stars An alternative Way of Life, 1 Nov. 2011
This review is from: No Greater Love [DVD] (DVD)
I was very moved to watch this video and to share in a glimpse of the lives of these Carmelite nuns. They showed thamselves as being very human, struggling with their own doubts, yet living in hope of another dimension in life. who is God? I feel that these women find the Holy in their daily lives, even through their labourious, repetitive tasks. I was particulary touched to hear that they appreciate so much that others find their prayer presence valuable. Maybe I hadn't expected the mutuality of life inside and outside the convent walls. I hadn't expected to see a nun in a wheelchair and then her death but all of this seemed to be taken as normal. It is a prompt to me to see that all that goes on, whether in religious life or not, is quite normal. This DVD made me think more deeply.

Of Gods And Men [DVD] [2010]
Of Gods And Men [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Xavier Maly

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and Memorable, 2 May 2011
This review is from: Of Gods And Men [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This story is a true one, told in a realistic manner. The action creeps up on the viewer and it is hard to notice how intimate the setting is. We are brought right into the world of these committed men and journey with them through the travails that meet them. They are not saints but they are reflective and true to their inner selves. It shows that faith is not static and nobody is one-dimensionable. Christian and Muslim ideals are not all that different after all!

Page: 1 | 2