Profile for Mr. N. Wildman > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. Wildman

Mr. N. Wildman "nickwildman2" (Beds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Batman: Arkham City (PS3)
Batman: Arkham City (PS3)
Offered by PROGAMES

4.0 out of 5 stars Damn this game is good, 6 Jan. 2012
Like a lot of people I would imagine, I was pleasantly surprised by what a brilliant game Batman Arkham Asylum turned out to be. I was consequently vey excited when I heard about this sequel!

I won't ruin the storyline but in essence, the asylum has been replaced with a large area of Gotham City cordoned off and used as a massive prison where the inmates have free rein to kill eachother as long as they don't try to escape. Bruce Wayne is chucked in there for publically opposing it and so starts the game.

As with my other reviews, I tend to split my views into pros and cons so here goes:

Pros:

1. The overall scale of the game is very impressive, the city is apparently 5 times larger than the asylum and it shows! There are distinct areas of the city controlled by different criminals and you can tell this by graffiti etc on the buildings and other visual clues.

2. Mobility has been greatly enhanced, allowing you to use the grapple gun and glide to cover large distances without touching the ground. This is great fun and really shows off the graphics of the city.

3. The combat has been enhanced as well, allowing for greater use of gadgets during fights and also various techniques and bonuses after racking up a suitably long combo streak. This not only adds variety but also adds a larger element of strategy e.g. you can't just wade in to a fist fight without checking what enemy types are present or you'll get thrashed (guns, shields, knives etc).

4. Gadgets are now used much more in solving puzzles for the riddler, rather than just for mobility as in the previous game.

5. The story is great, the developers have found a way of introducing basically every Batman villian you can think of either by reference or by direct contact and it doesn't feel like a stretch either!

6. The voice acting is superb, especially for the Penguin, the Joker (to be expected) and Mr Freeze

7. You get to play as Catwoman for a portion of the story, while she's similar to Batman in controls, she is different enough to enjoy playing as.

8. The fact that the game is now open world makes a lot of difference. You could go anywhere in the previous game but you were still on a very linear path. This game leaves it completely up to you as to what you want to do and when and there is a hell of a lot to do! Whether you want to complete side missions, perform Augmented Reality training, collect riddler trophies, complete main missions or just wander around beating up the minions, it's all there to do! The best part is, none of the non-main missions/activities feel tacked on to make the game longer, they all feel part of the experience as there is so much happening within the city.

9. You can no longer go through the entire game using detective mode. In the first game I spent a lot of time in detective mode to spot secrets etc but this ruined it slightly because I was never playing the game in normal mode and seeing the great graphics. Detective mode is still necessary in Arkham City to spot secrets and to analyse enemies for weapons etc but you need to come out of it to navigate so the game forces you to use it only when necessary.

10. The game is now much more of a challenge, especially in combat. In the previous game there would be maybe one or two enemies in a pack with guns or stun rods, all you had to do was take them out then the rest were relatively easy. Now, there is a good mix of enemies at once: common thugs, gun toting baddies, guys with shields, guys with knives etc. When they are all coming at you at once it's no longer just a case of hitting punch repeatedly with the odd counter thrown in. Now you need to use specific counters/attacks against knife or shield weilding thugs, normal counters against unarmed guys, all the while using ranged gadgets to keep the gun toting guys off balance combined with normal attacks to survive fights with large groups.

11. You now need to unlock riddler secrets on the map by interrogating his minions. These are identified using detective mode in a group and you need to leave them till last to interrogate. This adds even more strategy, especially when the group contains different enemy types.

12. The game is very long, I've been playing if for hours at a time since I got it at Christmas and I'm not even 30% of the way through yet (including all of the side missions, trophies etc)!

Cons:

1. There is so much to do at first, it can be a little overwhelming to decide where to go.

2. When you unlock the riddler secrets by interrogating thugs, you can locate them on your map but there is no clue as to what they are. You end up trying to scan everything in the area in case it's the solution to a riddle, without knowing what the riddle is in the first place.

3. Some of the riddler trophies are very complicated to find but I suppose that adds to the challenge!

That's about it! In a game this huge, 12 pros and only 3 cons (one of which is barely a con) is pretty good! I only didn't give this game 5 stars because no game is perfect.

Overall, if you liked the first game you will absolutely love Batman Arkham City. A very strong contender for game of the year (I bought Uncharted 3 today so we'll see if it can topple Batman).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2012 3:37 PM BST

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (PS3)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (PS3)
Offered by Briargate Redstar

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand why this is so cheap!, 3 Oct. 2011
I am a collector of various PS3 game magazines and as such I came across various previews and then reviews of deus ex. I'm not usually a fan of first person shooters so initially I wasn't very interested but the part that caught my eye was the emphasis on choosing your own way to complete objectives. This is where the game really shines and sets it apart from other first person games.

Where the genius of this game lies is in the level of choice you have in how your character develops. You can upgrade your character to be a tank, specialising in straight on combat or you can upgrade him with things like hacking abilites, temporary invisibility, silent moving etc to enable a stealthier kind of gameplay. You can also mix and match so you are not restricted to one kind of approach. I have gone for a mixture, most of the time I prefer to sneak in and avoid the guards rather than trying to take them all on. Apart from this being very satisfying, it is also the more intelligent route as you are nearly always outnumbered and especially in the later stages by more heavily armed opponents. It is possible to complete entire "levels" without killing anyone or being being seen at all. You can even talk your way past certain people to meet your objectives which is great.

In terms of graphics, they aren't the best I've seen on the PS3 but they are good enough. The backgrounds and surroundings are very well done, it is the other characters that sometimes don't look to good. The cut scenes are very well done though and the inclusion of small cutscenes within the gameplay e.g. when performing a takedown or jumping from a high point are done very well.

Overall this game is great and I very glad I took the gamble. It is most definitely not your run of the mill shooter. I just can't believe this is less than £20 when it hasn't been out that long! Great for me as I got it cheap but for a game so good this puzzles me!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2011 2:04 AM GMT

Your Highness (Extended Edition) [DVD]
Your Highness (Extended Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Danny McBride
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars slightly disappointed but an ok film, 21 Sept. 2011
After all the highly positive reviews I had high hopes for this film, I wanted to see it at the cinema but after borrowing the DVD from my friend I'm glad I didn't spend money on it.

It is a decent enough film but it seems to me that it depends in a big way on your sense of humour as to whether you will love it, hate it or somewhere inbetween. I have a fairly silly sense of humour and there were a few funny moments in this but unfortunately all of the jokes are in the same ilk, once you've seen the first ten minutes the humour really doesn't change at all for the rest of the film and swiftly get boring.

The acting is ok for such a silly film but as I am normally a fan of Natalie Portman, I am sad to say that she puts in a poor showing here. She has put on the same annoying accent as she had for the Star Wars films and whether it be poor writing of just a poor performance, her character just doesn't seem to fit.

I think this is one of those films that you will need to watch and see what you think for yourself as there is a lot of subjective material that will influence your opinion. For me however this film came across as a poor imitation of the style of Robin Hood Men in Tights but with an ending that leaves you thinking "oh, is that it?".

A film worth a watch but I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it.

Beewi Wireless Bluetooth Mouse
Beewi Wireless Bluetooth Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars great little mouse for the price, 14 Sept. 2011
I bought this mouse to use with my recently purchased android tablet (Motorola Xoom) for the slightly geeky reason that the touchscreen doesn't work very well with "point and click" adventure games such as Monkey Island, which I've managed to load onto the Xoom.

The mouse is quite small so it is very portable, it even comes with a little drawstring bag for storage/transport. Albeit small, the mouse still fits comfortably into the hand and is fine to use for everyday things on any computer. It is easy to sync with whatever device you are using, in the case of the Xoom you simply activate bluetooth then turn on the mouse, search for compatible devices on the Xoom and link to the mouse. That easy!

The functions of the mouse i.e. all of the buttons and wheel work fine and the overall design has a conpact but firm feel i.e. it doesn't feel cheap.

One word of warning for anyone who wants to use this mouse for the same reason that I did i.e. on the Xoom tablet for Lucas Arts games, you may need to fiddle with the Xoom settings to get the pointer on screen to do what you want it to. You need to set it so that the pointer in the ScummVM program matches the mouse pointer otherwise there will be a lag when using the mouse. I can't remember the exact settings but if you need them feel free to leave a comment and I can find out and get back to you.

All in all a good mouse for a good price, can't go far wrong!

Smart Sipper Drinker Classic Colours Water Fountain for Cats and Dogs 1.5 LTR
Smart Sipper Drinker Classic Colours Water Fountain for Cats and Dogs 1.5 LTR
Offered by Mighty Oak Trading

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish, doesn't work, 14 Sept. 2011
I bought this water feeder for my two kittens as I wanted to make sure they would have enough water while I was at work during the day. I was a bit dubious about the quality due to the price but since it had good reviews I took the gamble.

Unfortunately, this product just does not work. The idea is that a vacuum is formed inside the container when the water is added and then turned upside down. Unfortunately, this relies on the plastic lid forming an air tight seal and in the case of the product I bought, this was not the case. It seemed to work for a couple of days but when the water level in the container decreased to about half way, the seal failed and water splashed all over the floor. This makes sense as the larger the headspace in the container, the larger the strain on the seal to maintain the vacuum. I refilled the container to try again but the same thing happened a couple of days later.

This might just be a problem with the specific item I bought as it has high reviews from a lot of other reviewers but my advice would be to spend a little bit more and get a water fountain that does not rely on gravity or a vacuum because if it fails you come home to a mess. I ended up buying a "Petmate Fresh Flow Water Fountain" which is much better, it's more expensive but it provides constantly moving fresh water and there's no worry of it spilling water all over the floor resulting in happy kittens and a happy owner.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2011 9:07 AM GMT

Motorola Xoom 10.1 inch Android Tablet (1GB RAM, 32GB Memory, Wi-Fi, Android 3.0, Up to 10hrs battery life)
Offered by TODO! TODO!

4.0 out of 5 stars outstanding bit of kit, 28 Jun. 2011
At first I wasn't in awe of the first tablet offerings such as the original ipad, I couldn't really see the point as I already owned a decent phone and an ipod touch. The ipad just seemed like a bigger version of the ipod/iphone. This combined with my natural tendency to go against general opinion meant that I wouldn't be getting the apple offering even if I did see the point.

When I got my annual bonus from work, I decided to take the plunge and see what the fuss was about. With my aforementioned dislike of following the crowd, I didn't want an ipad/ipad 2 and instead wanted to delve into the world of android. After a bit of research, the Xoom stood out as the best bet especially as the only other real contender at the time was the Samsung Tab, which while looking great was a bit small for my liking. I'm very glad I decided to wait for the Xoom and I have been converted to the ways of the tablet computer.

So, for ease of reading:

Pros:

1. Inclusion of flash support
2. A fully customisable interface, allowing for individualisation (if such a word exists) of the experience
3. Quick and easy internet access with a wi-fi connection
4. Intuitive and easy layout, making using the Xoom a doddle even if you're not experienced with android devices
5. Lots of capacity (32GB) to play with, with the option of more via the SD card when it's made functional
6. The ability to multitask i.e. listen to music and surf the net simultaneously
7. A host of apps available from the android market and not limited to ones approved by google (cough, cough, itunes)
8. Easy setup of email through gmail and good applications for instant messaging/networking access
9. Very good battery life
10. Excellent camera and camcorder (I've recently got myself 2 kittens and the photos/vids taken with the Xoom are brilliant), allowing for easy upload of media to sites like facebook

Cons:

1. The long wait for the Xoom to be put on sale and the complete lack of information during that wait until the last minute before release
2. The long wait for SD card activitation. This is being rolled out with the Honeycomb 3.1 update underway at the moment in the UK
3. The charging / USB sockets are on the bottom of the device meaning that if you don't have a charging docking station, you can't charge the Xoom and have it in a stand at the same time
4. There is a bit of a lack of tablet-specific apps on the market at present but this will be addressed with time

Overall, the Xoom is a great bit of kit (I refuse to call it gadge as per the gadget show as it just sounds wrong) for internet access, music, films, games and even work (I have an office-esque app on my xoom allowing for word processing and spreadsheets). It is a real shame that Motorola rushed the release in order to compete with the ipad 2 as this resulted in a lot people purchasing an unfinished product. Thankfully that is being put right with the honeycomb 3.1 update but I'm sure they have lost a lot of confidence from customers through the distinct lack of communication on various issues.

So, is this better than an ipad? Having tried both, I would say yes and there are still more improvements to come! Android is definitely the way forward for me!

Smallville: The Complete Ninth Season [DVD] [2010]
Smallville: The Complete Ninth Season [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Tom Welling
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars A good season, 28 Jun. 2011
After some of the more disappointing seasons of Smallville e.g. where Lana is the reincarnation of some ancient witch, this return to form was definitely welcomed.

Since the last season of Smallville, Clark has started to embrance his destiny as a hero and as much is more focused in his actions. He still can't fly, which is annoying but I think they're saving that for the final episode to signify his finally becoming superman. The normal host of characters are present, except for Lex and Lana of course, with a few extra thrown in that people will recognise if they are fans of the DC universe.

In general the series feels more put together that previous offerings, with an overall story arch rather than several smaller underlying stories. This story of course revolves around Zod. Weirdly, he does not have that evil presence that viewers of Superman II will remember, in fact he seems a bit tame! I have no idea why they cast a cockney as Major (General) Zod but it just doesn't really work for me. He comes across as a bit of a petulant child who thinks he's more important than he is. Even when Zod gets his kyptonian powers he doesn't seem that threatening. The inclusion of the kandorians is a nice touch though, a group of lost and confused Kryptonians with different allegiances and views on their future.

Also a bit weird is Tess Mercer's sudden involvement in the secret society known as checkmate. I won't ruin what this is but even though it is explained as having been secret and part of her past, it feels like a tacked on bit of info designed to involve Tess's character in plot lines that otherwise she would have little/no part in.

Unfortunately, the most annoying thing about this season is Chloe. She used to be a great character, very likeable but at the same time part of the whole superhero contingent. In her more involved hero role in this season she has somehow changed into a bossy, hypercritical cow and several times I was hoping she would be killed off! She's always so quick to have a go at the other characters whenver they do anything questionable e.g. keeping secrets when everything she does is underhanded, sneaky and downright hypercritical. Everything she does is explained as "for the greater good" but her double standards and self importance really get on my nerves!

Anyway, enough of the negative parts. As a whole, this is a very good season: the justice league (although never named as such) takes a more concrete form, with past members making appearances and more screen time for other heros such as the green arrow who has always been a great character.

So in conclusion: if you can see past the slight inconsistencies /poor casting choices and slight annoyances, this is a very very good season and a great setup to Clark's final development into the all powerful wearer of underpants over his trousers.

Ufc: Ultimate Fighter Season 12 [DVD] [2010] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Ufc: Ultimate Fighter Season 12 [DVD] [2010] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by passionFlix UK

4.0 out of 5 stars the usual stuff - PLAYS ON UK DVD PLAYERS, 4 May 2011
I haven't finished watching this series yet so I can't give a full review but so far it appears to be the usual you would expect from an ultimate fighter series! There are the usual characters, some more annoying than others. The fights so far have been good, you tend to get more interesting fights in the lightweight division.

The main purpose of this review is to inform all you people out there wondering if this will play on a UK DVD player: yes it will. I have purchased the last three series (10, 11 and 12) from a company in the US and each of them has been fine on a UK system so don't worry that it says region 1 and NTSC compatible only.

Harry Potter And The  Deathly Hallows Part 1 [DVD]
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars A step up but still disappointing, 19 April 2011
I had higher hopes for this film than previous offerings, purely because after The Prisoner of Azkaban, all of the Harry Potter films have felt rushed and suffered massively as a result. This of course is because they tried to cram too much into one film, it always felt like a tick box exercise rather than actually developing or exploring plot lines. As the last book was split into two separate films, I hoped that they would take the time to get it right rather than skipping over plot elements.

I do have to admit there the plot as a whole is much fuller than in previous films and this does contain more of the book in it. There is still a feeling of the tick box mentality nonetheless. The scene most obviously suffering from this is that of the wedding where the conversation turns to Dumbledore's past. They left so much out of this scene it almost wasn't worth having at all.

The reason this film has only gotten a "meh, it's ok" kind of rating from me is this: dispite them doing a better job with exploring plot elements in this film, it doesn't change the quality of the acting. It doesn't matter how well you write a script if the actors are too rubbish to do it justice.

Now, I want to qualify that remark because it would be unfair to say that all of the actors do a bad job because there are some good performances. Unfortunately, the focus of this film is of course on the main trio of Harry, Ron and Hermione. Therein lies the problem. Two of the three actors playing the lead characters can't act! Namely Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe. They are so wooden they may as well be puppets! Emma Watson has some glimses of competence but Daniel Radcliffe is and always has been a terrible actor! It is of course too late to change the actor playing Harry but it is solely down to his pathetic attempts that the Harry Potter films were never that great. He got the role because he looks like Harry, pure and simple. Rupert Grint has always been the only member of the trio to do his character justice, it's a shame he has such talentless tosh to share the majority of his scenes with. Hence Rupert landing some decent roles following the Potter films while Emma Watson ditches acting altogether and Daniel Radcliffe resorts to taking his clothes off or singing badly on stage.

So, in conclusion, a better film than it's last 3 predecessors but due to the complete lack of any acting skill from two thirds of the main trio, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a film to be watched and tolerated out of pure morbid curiosity rather than for it's quality.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2011 4:41 PM BST

Arkon GPS Friction Dash Mount for Garmin TomTom GPS Sirius Satellite Radios iPhone 6 Plus 6   5S 5C 4S iPad mini
Arkon GPS Friction Dash Mount for Garmin TomTom GPS Sirius Satellite Radios iPhone 6 Plus 6 5S 5C 4S iPad mini
Offered by North Laine Accessories

4.0 out of 5 stars good little product, 8 April 2011
This is a great alternative to the windscreen-mounted holders for your sat nav. I use a TOM TOM XL and due to the steeply sloping windscreen of my Ibiza, using the screen mount provided meant leaning forward to use the TOM TOM and while driving this isn't advisable!

When I received the product, I doubted it would stay in place during bumpy journeys or on winding roads, thankfully I was wrong! It does take an awful lot to get this thing to budge! No complaints whatsoever on that side of things. Once you have found a good spot to put it, getting your TOM TOM set up is quick and easy, much better than messing around with windscreen mounts and there is the obvious advantage of not leaving tell-tale marks on the screen to advertise your sat nav to thieves.

The only slight negatives I would mention are:

1. The base of the product is very flat and not at all flexible so if you have a very curved dashboard then finding a suitable position may be problematic.

2. This may be more an issue with the suction mount provided with my TOM TOM but it has an annoying habit of falling off if you don't remove and re-attach it before each journey. I plan to solve this issue by supergluing the little bugger to the suction base.

Apart from these little issues, a great little product and not too expensive either!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14