Profile for Mr. N. Wildman > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. Wildman

Mr. N. Wildman "nickwildman2" (Beds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Dark Sector (PS3)
Dark Sector (PS3)
Offered by zoverstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars A great game, 5 Jun. 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dark Sector (PS3) (Video Game)
This game has been described as a mix of Resident Evil and Gears of War, now I've never played Gears of War but this is a hell of a lot better than Resident Evil! One big let down for me in Resident Evil was the control system i.e. it was slow, cumbersome and generally crap. When I read that Dark Sector was like Resident Evil I was anticipating a similar annoyance but thankfully the controls in this game are far superior and a breeze to use.
This game, right from the very beginning is a lot of fun. Even before you get the glaive the duck and cover system and gunplay is really well done. Once the glaive arrives then the fun really begins! At first you may think it's a little annoying to use as it's hard to get a kill with one hit but then you get the after-touch ability and once that happens you'll be guiding the glaive directly at your enemy's neck! As soon as you discover that you can take cover from a guy with a gatlin gun and just after-touch the glaive round the corner to take his leg off, you'll be giggling like a deranged cartoon villain!
The infected that attack you are very reminiscent of zombies and the various scenes where you have a crowd of them shambling round a corner to get you just add to the atmosphere! This game can genuinely send a chill down your spine as it has you peeking round corners for the infected hordes. The musical score is absolutely inspired and really adds to the mood.
Dark Sector has a lot of replay value, not just because it is a fun game but because your powers constantly evolve as you progress. I won't ruin the surprise but let me just say that there are plenty of imaginative ways to take down your foes!
There are only two reasons I have not given this game a 5 star rating. Firstly, the story is almost non-existant: go to assassinate baddie, get infected with a mysterious virus, get powers and kill things! This being said, it is a very minor fault as the game doesn't need a deep Metal Gear Solid-like story, the gameplay more than makes up for it. Secondly, the melee attacks are a little annoying to use so just make sure you don't let yourself get swamped with infected!
In conclusion, if you like action, a bit of gore, a bit of suspense and a really funky bladed weapon then buy this game!

Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street [2 Disc] [DVD] [2007]
Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street [2 Disc] [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by wantitcheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars very pleasantly surprised!, 25 May 2008
Like many of the other reviewers of this film, when I found out it was a musical, I didn't have very high hopes as I'm not usually a fan of musicals in a film format.
This being so, I'm very glad that I took the chance! The music is fantastic and the songs fit the mood and atmosphere of the film perfectly. Like many others I suspect, I was very impressed by Johnny Depp's singing ability! In fact, all of the characters do a good job (which makes sense, they wouldn't have been cast if they couldn't sing), even Allan Rickman gives a surprisingly good vocal performance!
The entire atmosphere of the film is just great: a gritty, dark and slightly menacing depiction of victorian London. I am constantly amazed at Johnny Depp's english accent, he does it superbly!
The best part of this film is that, unlike some other musicals, it isn't all about the songs. About 80% of the dialogue is sung but I get the feeling that if this were done as a normal film without the songs, it would still be outstanding. Not to say that the songs are nothing special, they are very good but what I'm trying to get across is that they are not the be all and end all.
Overall, one of the best films I have seen for the past two years. Even if you don't like musicals, I thoroughly recommend that you watch this. The special features are great too!

Beowulf - 1 Disc Edition [2007] [DVD]
Beowulf - 1 Disc Edition [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Winstone
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent film but not fantastic, 2 May 2008
Firstly I must admit that I haven't read the epic poem on which this film was based but I can see certain bits when it took leave of the original material! Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.
This is a good film but you'll get what you want from it. The animation, dispite being called wooden by some of the other reviewers, I found to be quite impressive. Especially Anthony Hopkin's character. The first monster, Grendal is quick impressive too! The action sequences are outstanding, the battle between Grenal and Beowulf is visually astounding.
This being said, I finished watching the film and was left with a feeling of "peh", if that makes any sense. I enoyed the film but it left no lasting impression further than "oh, that's the end is it?". I think this feeling was in a large part due to the fact that the film is set in once place and does not really deviate from that one location. I think this makes large parts of the film seem to zip by compared to other films using different locales which seem to break up the film more and give more of an impact.
Maybe that's just me though. As I've said, this film is good and deserves a viewing but don't expect to be left with a life-changing feeling.

Streetwise: The Complete Manual of Personal Security and Self Defence
Streetwise: The Complete Manual of Personal Security and Self Defence
by Peter Consterdine

5.0 out of 5 stars A very rare treat, 20 Mar. 2008
As a teacher of personal protection classes, I have been unfortunate enough to see some absolutely terrible books on self defense. These kinds of books advise victims of violent attack to attempt to perform techniques which people who have been training in martial arts for years can't pull off! As a martial artist myself, with over 13 years of training, I can recognise the effort it takes to perform some self defense techniques advised in other books. The techniques shown in this book take advantage of natural insticts and gross motor skills so that anyone can perform them. There is a fanstastic example in Streetwise of a woman trying to fend off a knife-wielding maniac by wrapping her coat around her arm. This is obviously shown as an example of the rubbish which is out there. As Peter says in the book, if you have had time to put your coat around your arm, you could have run!
The techniques in this book are quick, effective and simple, there is none of the completely ludicrous rubbish that depends on decades of training.
Although the physical side is obviously useful to know, where this book shines is the psychology of attacks and how to recognise potentially dangerous situations. As the infamous Mr Miyagi once said, the best defense is not to be there in the first place! Even topics such as the adrenaline dump, tunnel vision and loss of fine motor skills are covered.

Overall, a very thorough and useful book, both for an instructor and student of personal protection.

Devil May Cry 4 Limited Edition (PS3)
Devil May Cry 4 Limited Edition (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars a damn good game, 9 Mar. 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
As some people have already said, a review of a demo or even worse, of a game that no-one has actually played is totally useless. Therefore I thought I would write a review of the actual game, having completed it a couple of times.
This game is pretty much more of the same in terms of previous games in the Devil May Cry series. This being said, it is not a bad thing at all because there was nothing wrong that needed changing! The introduction of Nero is not just an addition of a new character with exactly the same moves, playing as Nero is very different to playing as Dante. Nero's devil arm changes the way you approach combat, especiallu boss fights. I won't say too much but you will have great fun trying out his attacks!
Dante has also changed a bit as well. All the old favourites are still there so the die hard fans won't be disappointed but all of the styles from DMC3 are not available on the fly, which is great. Being able to change from gunslinger/swordmaster to trickster just at the touch of a button becomes very very useful! Dante also looks incredibly cool! I personally found him a tad annoying in DMC3 but he is officially a dude in DMC4!
Another good part of DMC4 is that the difficulty is considerably toned down from the 3rd installment. Te 3rd was challenging, at least I thought so, but some of the bosses were so difficult it just got frustrating! In DMC4, the enemies are still challenging, more from the AI demonstrated by multiple enemies than the difficulty of individuals and the bosses can be difficult too, but not to the point of wanting to put your fist through the TV!
The graphics are great, the story line is predictible but good and the game play is as good as previous games. All in a brilliant addition to the series.

Hand Built By Robots
Hand Built By Robots
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars A very promising newcomer, 12 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Hand Built By Robots (Audio CD)
I bought this album on impulse after seeing an advert on TV and I'm now very glad for my impulsive nature! All of the other reviews already posted have hit the nail right on the head. This album is fantastic: good vocals, solid beats and rythms, what more could you as for?
I agree with the Amazon product description, it is very much a "sitting round a campfire" style of music, but I just happen to love that style!
Having read other reviews explaining the way he plays i.e. fairly complicated guitar work and doing the drum beats himself by slapping the guitar, my respect for him is huge. As a guitarist myself, listening to the tracks and trying to figure out how he's doing it brings it home. I wouldn't pass up the chance to see him live!
If you like this style of music or just want some good old fashioned good unpretentious music, give this album a go!

Ninja Gaiden Sigma (PS3)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars what a game, 8 July 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Like many people I suspect, I was mortified when Ninja Gaiden was not released on the PS2. A mate of mine had it on the X-box and it was fantastic. When I heard that Ninja Gaiden was to be released on the PS3, I was as excited as a child on christmas day.
Having read some of the reviews on the game, I was a little apprehensive but I must admit, I absolutely love this game. Just the right level of difficulty i.e. challenging enough for it to be rewarding and insanely cool moves and general imagery.
One very strange part of the game is actually Rachel's chest! It has a mind of its own and seems to wobble even though she is standing completely still! Adolescent boys must love this game purely for this reason.
Several people wrote that this game is just a remake of the original Ninja Gaiden with a few additions and improvements and they're not wrong. But this is no bad thing if you are not one of the stupidly rich people who can afford to have both an X box and a PS2/3. For those of us who only have the one system (oh woe is me), a remake of this great game on the PS3 is a breath of fresh air. The only gripe I have on this great game is the fact that all the characters besides one or two seem to come from California. It would be nice to have some of the supposedly Japanese characters not being yanks!

Spider-Man 3 (2 Disc Special Edition) Limited Edition Sleeve Design and Slipcase (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Tobey Maguire
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but a little disappointing, 1 July 2007
Like a lot of people, I went to see this film after seeing its predecessors expecting it to be great. I must admit I was a little disappointed. That being said, I was still entertained!

The main problem with this film is that they tried to squeeze too much into it, even if it is a long one. Three major villains, none of which really get the attention they deserve. This counts especially to Venom who, in my humble opinion is the best of the Spiderman villians. The scenes in which each of these villians appears are done well but I can't help but think that they would have been better off picking one major villain, maybe keeping the new goblin in purely because it was hinted at previously, and developing that one baddie to the full.

Giving credit where credit is due, the origins of the said baddies were very true to their comic counterparts, especially Venom. J Jonah Jameson as always was fantastic although sadly underused. There are several funny moments, the main one being Peter Parker strutting down the street doing hip thrusts!

One final gripe. Kirsten Dunst. She started very well in the first film and apart from becoming a human stick insect as the films went on, she just becomes more and more irritating. I would not have complained if they had recast the part of Mary Jane Watson for the third film (and maybe the second as well).

All in all, it is worth seeing this film as it is good but you may be left feeling slightly cheated. I hope they don't do a fourth as it would be a blatant money-grabbing exercise.

Dog Soldiers [DVD] [2002]
Dog Soldiers [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Sean Pertwee

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!, 7 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Dog Soldiers [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Before I get to the film, just want to point out the stupidity of some of my fellow reviewers. 1: don't give away the entire plot!! Just plain inconsiderate and 2: if you know anything about popular myth, werewolves procreate by either mating or simply biting a victim who then turns into a werewolf themselves. Also, some are just born as is. Hence the idiocy of asking "if there's only one, how do they procreate?"

Right, rant over. This film is an absolute british classic. The story is very simple, not supposed to be looked into deeply by the incessantly anal reviewers out there. British troops, trapped, being attacked by werewolves. Bing. Bang. Bosh.

Highly enjoyable, mainly because of the humour (for me at least), some of the lines are just genius! The werewolves themselves are not exactly realistic but considering this is a low budget film, they look great. I'll leave it there as I don't want to ruin it (unlike some idiots) but I will say this: if you liked 28 Days later of The Descent, buy this, it's well worth it!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Haven't played it so can't really say too much!, 30 May 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Like many people who have written reviews about this game, I haven't played it so mine will be based on previous installments of Tekken!

Firstly, how anyone can say that Soul Calibre is better than Tekken and claim to be a martial artist themselves is either lying or doesn't understand different styles of martial arts! As someone who has trained in several styles for over 13 years, I think Tekken is one of the most realistic fighting games out there. You can win by button bashing with certain characters, yes but to use any of the characters properly you need to use tactics and timing. Some characters lend themselves to button bashing: the capoeira fighters Eddie and Christy for instance, purely because capoeira is a style where any technique can flow into another! This isn't a fault of the game, it's a characteristic of the fighting style!

Soul Calibre is the ultimate button basher, not in the least bit realistic. One technique rolls impossibly into the next, no tactics involved whatsoever.

Anyway, rant over! I expect Tekken 6 to be a fine game based on its predecessors. I hope I'm proved to be right!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14