Profile for MiniMog > Reviews

MiniMog "minimoggie"

Double Dare
Double Dare

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising and refreshing read!, 19 July 2012
This review is from: Double Dare (Kindle Edition)
I read a lot of historical fiction so I was a bit hesitant at reading a modern-day romance, particularly set in America. However it was pretty good, very funny and cute. The lead male is described as a bit of a dish and thankfully the female character has substance, so no irritating personalities! Their relationship develops quite naturally. I predicted the "plot-twist" after the first few chapters but it was still fun to read how they got there, you didn't feel disappointed.

If you like books where you can escape into some else's life and think "I wish that was me!" then this is worth a read. Especially as it's free! There are a few typo's but it didn't make me stop reading the book, like I normally would.

Code Name Verity
Code Name Verity

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for young adult readers!, 13 April 2012
This review is from: Code Name Verity (Kindle Edition)
I took a chance on this book as it was free (I think! Or cheap if not.)

However, it was very gripping and I read it quickly.

At first, you don't sympathise much with the character and the writing style seems too modern for the period (WWII) but I did find it enthralling and there are lots of twists and turns which keep shocking you a little bit. I certainly didn't predict one of the major plot turns and actually gasped aloud! (While on a plane as well!)

I definitely recommend reading this although it can be a little descriptive in places so if you are really squeamish, you might want to avoid as it does describe gestapo torture methods fairly graphically.

However, for a cheap, quick read, it's well worth it!

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Special Editions)
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Special Editions)
by William Shakespeare

4.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Works Of Shakespeare, 3 Feb 2005
I was looking for a book which contained the plays of Shakespeare as I needed to select which would be most appropriate to use as a drama workshop. I chose this book because it was very cheap.
The book is very chunky and it features ALL his plays and major poems/sonnets. Each page has two columns of text in very small print, so if you don't have good eye sight, I wouldn't recommend this book. It's also quite smudgy and the text is quite cramped. I don't feel this book is suitable to work from, to annotate etc.. However, it is as useful as a dictionary when it comes to looking up quotes and is brilliant to have around in order to recommend speeches to students. It also has a very useful Glossary at the back for those words which are uncommon/not used nowadays and includes information from the original folio.
To summarise... a book very worth the money, useful as a point of reference but not a book to be worked from.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2014 12:56 PM BST