Profile for Willia > Reviews

Pure Pop Midi Portable DAB Digital/FM Radio with Bluetooth
Pure Pop Midi Portable DAB Digital/FM Radio with Bluetooth

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and surprisingly stylish, 3 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've found this radio to be faultless in the month that I've had it, it's everything that it should be and surprisingly good-looking too. The large pop-up dial is actually a great feature, it might not seem like much but it makes the two most important functions (turning the thing on, and adjusting the volume) a much quicker and more pleasant task than holding a small button down. It's a small thing I know, and hardly likely to make you spend an extra twenty quid but trust me, it is nice once you have it.

The clock/date sets itself automatically, the stations tune automatically. Switching between stations is simple, as is switching between digital and good-old FM. Even the Bluetooth connectivity is remarkably straightforward; my phone doesn't always get on well with Bluetooth but it paired up instantly and in a matter of seconds I was playing music right from my phone. I imagine this might come in handy if I was traveling or camping or something, since the radio can be battery-powered.

Regarding sound quality, a lot of fuss is made over the sound quality of small docking and/or Bluetooth speakers these days. The reality as far as I'm concerned is that no tiny set of speakers is going to sound amazing, end of story. With that in mind, all I'm hoping for is something that's relatively pleasant, not tinny and nasty to listen to. This radio's sound is certainly good enough.

Philips GC4522/00 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 210g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt
Philips GC4522/00 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 210g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much perfect, 27 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I feel a little silly for getting so enthusiastic about an iron, but this really is a great iron! All the features listed are accurately described, it glides so effortlessly that you feel like it's practically doing the ironing for you. I found the "deep self-clean descale" process fiddly, and I wasn't particularly convinced it worked, but honestly I'm so happy with the iron in general that it still gets five stars anyway.

There are three auto steam settings (off, medium and max) together with a spray button AND a steam boost button, and all are easy to use. The cord is a swivel cord so you can maneuver about without getting it all twisted, and it wraps neatly around the base and stays in place with a clip when you put it away.

It's easy to refill, it's fairly heavy and it glides so well that you don't really have to press down at all while ironing, and it's also fairly stylish. I can't really think of any way it could be improved!

Epson EH-TW5100 Full HD 1080p 3D Home Cinema and Gaming Projector
Epson EH-TW5100 Full HD 1080p 3D Home Cinema and Gaming Projector

3.0 out of 5 stars Exciting at first but not without its faults, 3 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using this projector for a few weeks now, and whilst I certainly like owning it, I also have a few grievances with it.

Top of the list is a noisy fan. The projector comes with four picture presets (two in 3D mode), two of which are bright and two of which are dimmer. During daylight hours you'll want to use the brighter settings to compensate for the ambient light in the room, but my goodness does this ramp up the fan. Not only is it so noisy that you'll have to crank the volume right up, but it also puts out enough heat to literally keep a room warm. It's winter here, and I've found myself turning the radiator off because the projector is doing its job already. The projector is clearly working hard, and it must be consuming a huge amount of electricity. On the dimmer settings the fan noise is acceptably low, but still very much noticeable (and considerably louder than my friend's projector).

My next issue is the screen keystone controls, which allow you to create a perfectly straight image on your wall even if the projector is situated at a considerable angle. The vertical and horizontal controls are tricky to work together, but it is possible (after some considerable fiddling) to get the desired results, after which you would simply leave the projector set up and never touch it again, right? Well, apparently not! I've found that every now and again the settings simply reset and you have start all over again from scratch. This must be a bug since it only happens occasionally, but it's extremely annoying.

Moving on to more minor grievances, the adjustable feet that allow you to tilt the projector to get the picture straight are extremely flimsy. This is the sort of rubbish construction you'd expect from a children's toy, not a £550 projector. I ended up just stacking bits of card under it instead.

As for the picture, under dark room conditions it does look extremely appealing; I mean, it's huge, it feels like you have your own cinema in your home, and it's very exciting. However, the more I thought about it, the more I began to find fault with it. The image seems very flat somehow, like there's no depth at all. I don't know why this is, I'm not an expert. In comparison to a TV, it suffers from not being able to reproduce a convincing black. What does that mean in real terms? Well, it means that if you're watching a dingy drama, thriller, or anything dark really, you might find yourself wishing you were watching it on a TV, because you can't tell the difference between the darkness and the wall. In fact, you become very aware that there is a projector shining on your wall. If, on the other hand, you're watching a bright animated movie or an American sitcom with lots of strong colours, it'll look great. Seriously, beautiful.

I'm somewhat confused by the "Fast Mode" feature. Firstly, I don't think it actually reduces the lag completely, I'd say it roughly halves the lag time, but more than that I'm wondering why this isn't just the default setting? Perhaps it consumes more energy, I don't know. The on-board sound is rubbish, but I don't mind that. Who on earth would buy a projector and then use its built-in sound anyway? It's nice to have it, just to check the audio is working.

Despite these criticisms, I have enjoyed owning this projector very much. If you play a Blu-Ray in the dark it will be crystal clear and because of the cinematic size it'll be highly engrossing. The enticing features of a projector are of course its enormous screen size and relative obscurity in the room when it's inactive, and I still love it for these things, but it's not without its drawbacks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2015 10:06 AM GMT

Philips LED Spotlights - Twin Pack (GU10 4.5W) - White
Philips LED Spotlights - Twin Pack (GU10 4.5W) - White

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect upgrade from halogens, 28 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of LED bulbs, and I would certainly never go back to using their halogen counterparts. They're notoriously less energy-hungry and every bit as bright - that's a perfect upgrade in my book. These particular bulbs, like the others I've used, are bright, white and cool to touch. I highly recommend them.

My only criticism of this particular product is that they're advertised as 5 Watt bulbs when in fact they are 4.5 Watt bulbs (as can be clearly seen in the product photo).

Philips LED Spotlights - Twin Pack (GU10 3.5W) - Warm White
Philips LED Spotlights - Twin Pack (GU10 3.5W) - Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and warm, 28 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of these LED types of bulb. They're notoriously less energy-hungry than their scorchingly hot halogen counterparts, and they're every bit as bright while remaining cool enough to touch. My one reservation with them is that they tend to be mercilessly white, so when I see a word like "warm" in the description I read it skeptically, but I was actually was very impressed with the softness of the light in this case. I compared them to my 4.5W and 5W LED bulbs (which have not an ounce of warmth) and they were noticeably less harsh, and with a slight yellowish tinge. So if you want an LED light that isn't abrasively bright then these are a good fit for you.

One criticism: The product description lists these bulbs as 4 Watts, but the ones that arrived were in fact 3.5 Watts.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Pinzon - Egyptian Cotton Towel Set (2 bath towels) - Navy
Pinzon - Egyptian Cotton Towel Set (2 bath towels) - Navy

3.0 out of 5 stars Great at drying, not very soft., 19 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using these towels for a couple of weeks now and they're highly effective at drying. I used to use two similar-sized towels after a shower, whereas one of these will do the job.

As for softness, I don't find them to be particularly soft at all. I know towels get softer after repeated washes so maybe there will be some improvement there but for now they're relatively coarse.

Lastly, each towel measures 132cm x 68cm, which is a little smaller than the quoted measurements.

The manufacturer says you will "experience spa-like pampering at home with this luxurious 725-gram two-piece towel" - you won't. But you will be nice and dry in no time.

SanDisk SDSDQXN-032G-G46A Extreme microSDHC UHS-I Class 10 U3 Memory Card up to 60 MB/s read - 32 GB

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed results in terms of speed, 5 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I did two speed tests on this.

I transferred a 1Gb file from my laptop onto the micro SDHC card using the adapter provided and compared the time with the same transfer onto my pre-existing 16Gb micro SDHC card. My card averaged a 10.31Mb/s transfer rate, this new card registered 3.27Mb/s. A lot SLOWER than the card I already owned.

I then did the same test using my phone, copying the same 1Gb file onto the micro SDHC cards this time from my Samsung Galaxy Ace II (adapter not required). On this occasion the new card outperformed my 16Gb card, with average speeds of 9.90Mb/s and 6.25Mb/s respectively.

To conclude, this card is faster than my previous card in my phone, but slower than my previous card when connected to my laptop using the adapter. Not sure what to make of that!

London Jets Mens Premium T-Shirt Red Large
London Jets Mens Premium T-Shirt Red Large
Offered by bybulldog

5.0 out of 5 stars Great material, great design, great idea, 4 Nov. 2014
I think we all know why we're looking at this page, it's because we (or a partner/family member) really loves Red Dwarf. And I mean REALLY loves Red Dwarf.

That being the case, I can't really recommend this T-shirt enough. It looks precisely like the original on the show, and it's made of decent material. You might be wondering "Is this just a cheap red T-shirt with some tacky cheap transfer printed on to it?" The answer is no it's not, it's actually a quality T-shirt.

You know why this is such a great idea as well? It's obviously a super-geeky T-shirt, but everyone else isn't going to know that, it's not the same as wearing a top that says RED DWARF on it in giant letters. It's perfect for anyone who's a massive geeky fan but maybe not quite as comfortable broadcasting it in public!

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Festival Style Wayfarer Sunglasses Two Tone Turquoise & Black
Festival Style Wayfarer Sunglasses Two Tone Turquoise & Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Became my favourite pair, 4 Nov. 2014
Wore these a lot over the summer, they quickly became my favourites. They don't feel like a quality product in your hands, but for £3.99 you can hardly expect that. What matters is they're perfectly comfortable on my head (I've got quite a big head!) and I happen to love the colour design.

Artery
Artery

5.0 out of 5 stars Instrumental fans will not be disappointed, 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Artery (Audio CD)
Assuming you're interested in instrumental bands, you will almost certainly enjoy this album. It's modern guitar-work at its finest: technical, at times catchy, but crucially devoid of that rock-guitar-solo indulgence that has been done so many times before. Brontide is a band built largely around guitar, and remarkably it's all done by one person building up loops and sounds that eventually tower into a great tidal wave of intricate layers.

It's not just about being a talented guitarist though, and what makes this album truly great is it's a carefully thought-out composition, which at differing times can be both beautiful and brutal; there's plenty for those who like intricacy and subtlety, but it'll also get your head nodding. Many instrumental bands seem to debut with a blisteringly raw album and then get progressively softer, but there's enough of the Sans Souci (Brontide's debut album) rawness still alive here, in fact I think they've found the perfect balance.

If you like instrumental rock, you're probably aware of its many cliches - I don't think you'll find many of them on this album. It's great music, full of variety and flair.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6