Profile for Alany > Reviews

Content by Alany

Alany

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS3)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 11 Aug 2014
Great fun. I thought after completing on medium difficulty that the other levels would be impossible. However, if you achieve all the perks it makes the harder levels do-able. I am about to finish on 'I am death incarnate' before attempting Uber.

I can't remember enjoying an FPS game so much in ages. The story is good although after the first play through some of the cut-scenes are a bit annoying and you have to see quite a lot of them before 'skipping'.

I should mention that I also thoroughly enjoyed Rage which was not everyone's cup of tea. Shop around for a good price - I managed to get the special edition for 24.99 - worth every penny!

I hope that an expansion or at least some quality DLC is offered soon so that I can have some more action packed fun!

This game should win awards. The music is good too, I have the soundtrack from the other lot :-)

UPDATE: Have now completed the game 3 times on medium, hard & Uber. I am now at a loss as to what to do next :-(
Desperately hoping that the developers do a sequel or additional content.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2014 2:05 PM BST

BioShock Infinite (PS3)
BioShock Infinite (PS3)
Offered by games-wizard

5.0 out of 5 stars Apprenticeship needed, repaid in spades, 29 April 2014
I am close to completing 1999 mode which is my 3rd run thorugh this game. I would recommend that anybody who buys this game does the first run through on Easy but checks out some of the excellent web-sites for tips and tricks.
This game is involved. You need to understand how to use the vigors (magic/super powers) coupled with the best set-up for the gear (additional upgrades collected throughout the game), try to carry appropriate weapons and search everywhere for goodies.

In my first run through I got very frustrated because I approached the game as just another FPS - this is not the best approach. As I suggest in the subject, you almost need to do the easiest level first as an apprenticeship just to get used to the game dynamics and options. In my second run through on 'hard' I really started to plan the best strategy for upcoming levels - obviously you either need to be following a walkthrough or have already completed the game once.

1999 mode is difficult, very difficult. I am not a 'highly skilled' gamer but I am managing to get through this mode.

The story is excellent and there are a number of interesting twists during the unfolding.

I rank this as one of the best games I have ever played now that I am competent in the gameplay, if I had written this after the first run-thorugh my opinion would've been different.

Now this game is in the bargain basement, it is excellent value for money. I have also bought the seasons pass to get the DLC episodes and some extra goodies (the extras help with 1999!).

It is sad that there are no plans to go further with Bioshock but it is an excellent game, too good to miss.

UPDATE: I completed 1999 mode this weekend :-) The last battle was not too bad using the tried and tested techniques (see IGn for details) worst bit was the Siren battle but patience is a virtue! This game is brilliant!

Temple of Thought (Bonus Edition)
Temple of Thought (Bonus Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars poets delight, 23 Nov 2013
Came to the poets through Max Payne 2, hooked on the late goodbye.
This is another great album. If you know potf you must buy this, if you don't know them listen to cradled in love it is superb. UK radio is missing a trick.

TOPDIGI R35MM Retractable 3.5mm Aux Auxiliary Cord for iPod/Mp3 Players/Cell Phones/PDA's Or Any Device With A Standard 3.5MM Headphone Jack/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars neat solution, 14 Feb 2013
Quick delivery. Simply does the job. Sound quality not for the purest but what do expect for this price. Neatly winds up when storage is required.

Rage: Anarchy Edition (PS3)
Rage: Anarchy Edition (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Rage - UPDATE: Not innovative but so what?, 14 Feb 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I am currently playing RAGE on PS3 and thoroughly enjoying it. I was surprised to see such a lot of negative reviews but I think its because this is an 'id' game and people expect the very best of innovation and generally genre busting games.

I liken this to those old boxes of games, you know 'Compendium of games' because this has got bits from all the best of what is available out there. The graphics are superb. The play is not true open world because as soon as you get into a mission it becomes linear - so what? Its all about the fun. If you have enjoyed Doom, Half-life, Fallout 3, Motorstorm, Far Cry and the Mad Max movies buy this, it is pretty cheap at the moment, and have a ball.

I just hope they bring out lots more missions.

UPDATE 22/3/2013: Following the release of the Scorchers DLC I have started going through this game again with the intention (rather sad I admit) of achieving as many of the trophies as possible. This game (3rd time through) is different everytime and as you become more experienced you approach levels in different ways. I have finally mastered the use of the wingstick which makes life so much easier. Try using mind control bolts or RC exploding cars and the new nail gun is terrific fun.

Achieving the field goals trophy was a laugh out loud moment, if you can't be bothered to do it watch the video on You Tube.

I have not yet encountered the perfect game, there are always flaws but so what! Value for money excellent. Fun quotient very high. Re-playability high and recommended. DLC at £4 - worth it.
I look forward to more DLC if and when it is released.

Dinnerladies - Series 1 & 2 Complete [DVD]
Dinnerladies - Series 1 & 2 Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Victoria Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Victoria Wood - Genius, 20 Jan 2011
After watching a re-run of one of the Christmas specials, I decided to buy this set for my wife. We have just finished watching the last episode and I can safely say it was worth every penny.
VW has a unique ability to combine the strange and bizarre with real-life issues. The emotions vary from real empathy for some of the sadder things covered, to the utter hilarity of the most crazy incidents.
The only downside is the fact that the series was concluded after 16 episodes. A great team of actors which seem to gel from the first episode. Some of the one liners are epic.

Treat yourself, buy this delightful collection - you will want to watch over and over.