Profile for A. Black > Reviews

London Underground Poster Diary 2014
by Frances Lincoln
Edition: Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Diary AND has a CURRENT TUBE MAP!, 9 Dec. 2013
This is a favourite diary of mine - it's full of vintage tube posters and its a great design. I'm confused by the previous review as my copy has a current map of the underground and so did the 2013 version I bought previously?

This Truth Never Fails: A Zen Memoir in Four Seasons
This Truth Never Fails: A Zen Memoir in Four Seasons
by David Rynick

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book to keep and give, 10 Oct. 2012
I have to declare an interest in that David is one of my favourite teachers and so I was looking forward hugely to this book. When it arrived I started reading it on the way to work - and my usual method is to devour a book from beginning to end. But David's words are ones to savour and I found myself reading one of the short chapters, closing it and then just reflecting on his words and that is how I read it over several weeks. The humour, warmth, wisdom and sheer 'humanness' that comes through this book is a great support and teaching for us all. The chapters are short and though they follow a year it's the kind of book you can open anywhere and there will be something worth reading. I finished the book eventually - though I will keep going back to it - and promptly ordered another 3 copies for friends...

A Monster Calls
A Monster Calls
by Patrick Ness

5.0 out of 5 stars Most moving book I have read in a long time, 6 July 2011
This review is from: A Monster Calls (Hardcover)
I read it in one sitting including walking along the road... thankfully I wasn't in public when I reached the end. I can't emphasize enough how well-written, well-paced, moving, imaginative this book is - and the illustrations are brilliant too. A book for everyone to read at some point in their life.

Timex Sport Ironman Midsize Triathlon 30 Lap Watch - T5E961
Timex Sport Ironman Midsize Triathlon 30 Lap Watch - T5E961

4.0 out of 5 stars does what it says, 20 July 2010
Great watch for timing splits etc. I didn't find it easy to set it up -which could be me but instructions pretty useless but someone less technically challenged was able to help and now it seems easy enough to use though I'm not sure I am using all the features yet. Size is good if you have small wrists as not too large. Recommend it if you want a well-priced functional watch for running.

Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
by Christopher McDougall

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational even if you are not a runner..., 14 Jun. 2010
I wasn't a runner until I read this book which inspired me to have a go... regardless of whether you are interested in running or not this is a great story with fantastic characters. Highly recommend it.

Chimp and Zee: Our New Baby and Me: A First Year Record Book for New Brothers and Sisters (Chimp & Zee)
by Laurence Anholt

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift, 15 April 2010
This is a great gift for a child who is about to become a big brother or sister - lovely / bright illustrations - lots of things to tick or choose or places for them to draw pictures or stick in photos. Nothing else like it and you end up with a great record of the first year as a new brother or sister so it will be treasured for years to come.

Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 2
by Walt Stanchfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for animators, 18 May 2009
These two volumes are bigger and thicker than you might think. They are packed with information that is helpful to anyone interested in drawing from and capturing life - These lecture notes are very practical and convey a wealth of experience in capturing gesture. Many other books just show the finished product but don't explain how to get there. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in drawing and capturing people and keeping a sketchbook as well as those interested in cartoons and animation. Predominantly black and white line drawings.

Wedding Planner
Wedding Planner
by Frances Lincoln Publishers
Edition: Loose Leaf

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and versatile ring binder..., 17 April 2009
This review is from: Wedding Planner (Loose Leaf)
What I like best about this planner / organizer is that fact that you can punch holes in magazine articles / photos / quotes and just insert them inside so everything is to hand. It has pockets too. It's small enough to carry with you to appointments and has lots of questions to prompt you to think about what it is you want. Everyone wants something different for their wedding and this organizer makes it easier to personalize and add what is important to YOU. You can take record pages out and photocopy them if you run out.
When I organized my wedding I wanted to keep track of what quotes I had, different contacts, what was agreed, when I had to pay things- all that kind of stuff - I could do all of this and more with this book and so I'll be giving it to any of my friends or family who are planning a wedding. It's not cheesy either - the only illustrations are on the openers and they are black and white vintage type photos of what look like real people's weddings.

A. Wainwright Pocket Diary 2009
A. Wainwright Pocket Diary 2009
by Alfred Wainwright
Edition: Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want a boring black and white information diary don't buy this one...., 17 Feb. 2009
This is diary is packed with illustrations and small enough to slip into your pocket/bag. It's illustrated with a selection of charming illustrations by the man himself - but it's obvious that it's never meant to be a guide to walking in the Fells (and says so in the front)!!!
The type of diary with tube maps/weights and measures/conversions etc (you know all the stuff that you think will be useful but you never actually use!) and has no illustrations but just diary entries is one type and this is another - the two are completely different so it's not really a fair comparison. I agree this is not an office type diary with loads of room for appointments but If you are a Wainwright fan you'll enjoy vicariously visiting some familiar locations.

Life Drawing
Life Drawing
by Bridget Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD worth buying too..., 2 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Life Drawing (Paperback)
I think Life Drawing is a fantastic book and a must-have if you are contemplating doing life-drawing. Bridget presents many different ways of getting into the drawing and in a way that it's easy to remember so you can actually try them out in the class. However, I would recommend buying the DVD as well - although it covers the same ground as the book actually seeing Bridget demonstrate the techniques makes it all even clearer. Slight niggles with a couple of production issues on the dvd but don't let that stop you buying it - Can't recommend both items highly enough.

Page: 1 | 2