Profile for A. Black > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Life Drawing Techniques in Action DVD
Life Drawing Techniques in Action DVD
Dvd ~ Bridget Woods

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a DVD not an Audio CD...(thank goodness!) and excellent, 28 Aug 2008
I was a bit sceptical about the quality of this just because it can be hard to do a good practical film on drawing. However it is much better than I expected and I would recommend it. It is a perfect complement to Bridget's book (which I would highly recommend if you are interested in life drawing). I haven't finished watching both the discs yet but Bridget clearly demonstrates what she talks about in the book and it is really helpful seeing the execution in front of the model and 'seeing' helps clarify some of the things from the book.
Have held back from 5 stars just because sometimes the camera angle doesn't allow you to see what Bridget is actually describing which is a bit frustrating but that only happens occasionally. Also my copy plays in black and white and I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to be - which could be something to do with my TV as this has happened before with other dvds. It's not a problem as the subject is not about colour and it could be something peculiar to my equipment.
And yes it's a DVD not an audio CD which is frustrating if you are searching for it by category!
Highly recommend it if you want to learn about life drawing.

Little Plum
Little Plum
by Rumer Godden

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my favourite books..., 30 Nov 2007
This review is from: Little Plum (Hardcover)
I loved this book as a child - if you have read and enjoyed Miss Happiness and Miss Flower then you'll like this one too. It's based around the same family but from a different angle. So many of Rumer Godden's books are gems and this is too. My other favourite is In this House of Brede - but that's for adults.

Katy Appleton's Yogaworks Series [DVD]
Katy Appleton's Yogaworks Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Katy Appleton

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed with the out-of-sync voice & movements...., 12 Feb 2007
I really like Katy's style and bought this set to provide variety from the Geri one I've been doing. However I find the audio being out of sync with the movements incredibly annoying and it makes it so much harder than it needs to be. I've been practising yoga in a class for 4 years so I do know what I'm doing but I struggled with this purely as I was getting confused with the sound - how is a beginner supposed to cope? I haven't tried the other two in the set yet and hope they won't be the same otherwise I'm going to feel I've really wasted my money as I can see myself just getting frustrated with it and preferring to do it on my own... It's a real shame and I can't understand why they have done it like that!!!

Secret Knowledge: Rediscovering the lost techniques of the Old Masters
Secret Knowledge: Rediscovering the lost techniques of the Old Masters
by David Hockney

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is GORGEOUS, 13 Dec 2006
It's a lavishly photographed and produced work of art - My copy is the hardback and I assume the paperback is the same but it has wonderful gatefolds and details of works of art. David Hockney's commentary and exploration is fascinating as he explores the tools the Renaissance artists used. A wonderful book to give to anyone who is interested in art - whether in a practical way or in terms of history.

Miller's Antiques Price Guide 2007
Miller's Antiques Price Guide 2007
by Jonty Hearnden

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the new look!, 29 Aug 2006
This old favourite has been given a face lift and it beats the competition hands down. No other price guide offers comparable expertise from such a reputable group of experts. The pictures are big (all in colour), the information is sound, the scope is amazing. This is the alpha male of the antiques prices guides!

20th-century Glass: Over 2,000 Items, Identified, Valued (Miller's Guides)
20th-century Glass: Over 2,000 Items, Identified, Valued (Miller's Guides)
by Andy McConnell

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-HAVE BOOK...., 29 Aug 2006
If you go round car boot sales or antiques fairs or surf on Ebay and are interested in 20th century glass you really HAVE to buy this book. The photography is wonderful and unlike most other books which concentrate on the high end stuff you never can find, Andy McConnell includes the type of thing you really will find when you are out and about. He has gone back to the factory archives too so many previously unrecorded pieces are now identified. This really is a wonderful book and who knows, you might recoup the cost of it with your first find!

Dream Toys: More Than 20 Projects to Knit and Crochet
Dream Toys: More Than 20 Projects to Knit and Crochet
by Claire Garland

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book - you won't be disappointed!, 29 Aug 2006
I am a huge fan of Claire's work (see her Knitted Babes and Embroidered Treasures) and her latest book doesn't disappoint. The toys in this book are original and just absolutely wonderful. Some are tiny and quick - little fishes and crabs - while others are larger such as the unicorn and horse. There is also a mix of crochet and knitting which is nice. Claire has a wonderful talent and if you want to make something to be treasured buy this book - you won't be disappointed.

Knitted Babes: Five Dolls and Their Wardrobes to Knit and Stitch (Mitchell Beazley Craft)
by Claire Garland

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! These dolls are addictive, 31 July 2006
These dolls are great - there are 5 and each has their own personality but of course you can mix and match outfits between dolls... the only problem is once you start it's hard to stop so my advice is make them for someone else with a deadline like a birthday in mind. I've made one for a five year old (ballet-oriented), then her 10 year-old sister wanted one (she got a trendy wild red-hed) and now my sister wants one too but I'm all 'babed-out' for now... There are some great knitted babes blogs on-line too if you do a search and you can see what people in the US and France have done with their babes. Claire is an inspiring and highly original author - I can't wait for her next book DREAM TOYS which is out soon... it looks like a knitted Unicorn on the cover - how cool is that?

Page: 1 | 2