Profile for Grimsby Reader > Reviews

Grimsby Reader

Epicloud
Epicloud

5.0 out of 5 stars Grimsby Reader, 9 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Epicloud (Audio CD)
Ever listened to a record that had your feet tapping the first time you listened to it? This is one of them! Townsend has thrown everything into this starting with a gospel choir.I've only had chance to hear it twice since buying it but I think it's one of the best things he's done and I like all of his stuff since buying "Ziltoid" a few years ago.
It's one of those albums that makes me glad to be alive!

The Glorious Cause (American Revolutionary War)
The Glorious Cause (American Revolutionary War)
by Jeff Shaara
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Well written but same old cliches about the British, 22 Sept. 2010
Loved the Civil war series of books and the one on the Mexican War. Bought The Glorious Cause while on holiday in New York and visiting some AWI sites. Mr Shaara writes well but trotted out the old tired and inaccurate cliches about the British Army; advancing in tight ranks neatly lined up for the Amercicans to shoot, carrying 100lbs in their packs, arrogant officers etc. He also does not give them credit for sheer courage at battles such as Guldford Court House. Before anyone thinks I'm Yank bashing, I yield to no-one in my admiration of the American Soldier (and people), I've been to many battlefields in the US and have marvelled at their courage and determination, but we Brits had(and still have it) too. I think Mr Shaara relied too much on the older style of history books and not on the new research coming out which shows just how adaptable the British Soldier was, unfortunately, the Generals weren't (with certain exceptions) and one has to say that George Washington got it right more often than they did! I spoke to staff at Saratoga National Historic Park (well worth a visit!) and they agreed with me over the sterotyped potrayal of the British as being out of date. He also got completely wrong about Cornwallis and Tarleton, Cornwallis trusted and admired Tarleton (and no I'm not getting into any discussion over atrocities committed by either side). Finally I got fed up with his descriptions of every Hessian Soldier wearing a brass hat!, even the Jaegers!, any basic history/uniform book would have told him that only Grenadiers or Fusiliers wore that type of headwear and they were in a minority; and he also repeated the old stories about Colonel Rall at Trenton being drunk etc. He should have read Washington's Crossing for a much more balanced picture. I know the book is only a work of fiction, but it's historical fiction and he has to respect the history!