Profile for threewordsendingingry > Reviews

HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies
HTML, XHTML and CSS All-in-One For Dummies
by Andy Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Patience is a virtue, 11 Sept. 2011
The book starts with a basic HTML page layout and builds things up from there. The author makes sure that everything is explained thoroughly so that you are never unsure about anything. There are some lengthy sections near the start about validating web pages and editing software, which initially is not particulary relevant but persevere and you'll get to the good stuff.

The chapters in each book are broken down into small sections so that you don't have to read them through in one go. If you enjoy planning like me this is particulary useful for timetabling your study. Like most dummies guides i've read though the onus is on the reader to do their own experimentation with the information they are given. I generally do my own versions of the demonstrations and make notes before moving on.

You will not learn the information in this book overnight, I have been studying for around four months now-not always consistently-and am currently a couple of chapters into book four on JavaScript.I am finding this the most enjoyable so far but have found that some items are not explained very well like Objects and to a lesser extent Functions. For both of these items, it was necessary to study from other sources. Saying that however, I have found that when learning anything, using more then one resource is necessary.

Others sections I have found confusing in Javascript were the explanation of JSON and the use of DOM in Firefox. The former I found difficult to understand because it was explained with such brevity and its inclusion seemed confusing. With regard to the DOM, I had trouble finding some of the items described in the book. When I eventually managed to find something and worked through an example, the result were not as expected and there seemed to be no contingency for this.

I would definately recommend this to anyone who is interested in learning about creating web pages from the ground up because it provided a nice structure from which to direct your learning, but be prepared to find information from other sources too.