Profile for Sydney Bristow > Reviews

Content by Sydney Bristow

Sydney Bristow "Syd" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Strangeland (Deluxe)
Strangeland (Deluxe)
Offered by Side Two
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just grows and grows, 10 May 2012
This review is from: Strangeland (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
The release of a new album from Keane always makes me beyond excited and this one has not disappointed. Not only can I not stop playing it but the more I do, the more the tracks just grow and grow - in themselves and in my appreciation of them. Initially I loved Silenced by the Night and Disconnected before the album was released, then I got right into On the Road, The Starting Line and Strangeland. But every time I play it, I realise (as always with the Battle boys), that each track is great, in its own way. Yet again, I am bouncing round the lounge, clapping, waving my arms, jumping up and down (or lying down when the pace slows), singing at the top of my voice pretending to be Mr Chaplin in concert!

Keane may have their critics - the sort of people who think music's only music if its abject misery & find Radiohead a bit too lively - but personally I love their intelligent lyrics caught inside melodies that get exactly where music should - in your heart and veins, tugging out all your emotion. In some ways this is a return to their roots, but with a positive, upbeat feel.

If you're not a Keane fan, you're unlikely to be converted & wouldn't be reading this anyway. If, like me, you've always been a Keane fan & adored all their albums for different reasons, you will love this. If you're somewhere in-between, give it a go & wallow in it.

Many thanks Battle boys for another great album that brings it back home.

Agatha Christie's Marple - Series 1-5 Complete [DVD]
Agatha Christie's Marple - Series 1-5 Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julia McKenzie
Price: 39.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Miss Marple for the 21st century., 6 May 2012
How much you like this series depends on how much you judge it against the books and whether you get irritated by inaccuracies or can enjoy the stories for their differences. The series contains adaptations from the Miss Marple novels and short stories. They have also adapted some of Agatha Christie's stories that Miss Marple did not figure in. Personally, I have no issue with the latter (as I always felt there wasn't enough Miss Marple), as long as its done well and they get dear Aunt Jane right. With these adaptations, its a bit hit and miss across the board.

Geraldine McKewan is totally wrong for Miss Marple - too much Mortianna from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, for my liking. But Julia McKenzie is delightful - she gets just the right balance of Miss Marple's scatty, fluffiness alongside her blistering sharpness when the denunciation is called for.

The brief for these episodes seems to bring us 21st century adaptations of Miss Marple - condensed into about an hour and a half, bigger, bolder, brighter and noisier than previous ones, showcasing the current crop of our very fine actors, something for the modern audience. There also seems to be a need to regularly change essentials of the storylines from those in the books - this ranges from changing the murderer and/or their motive, to changing almost the entire story & keeping nothing more than the title (e.g. Why didn't they ask Evans?). If that doesn't worry you, then I'm sure you'll enjoy them. For me, however, loving the original books and the previous Beeb adaptations that stuck so closely too them, I found it irritating and unnecessary. Agatha Christie was a clever enough writer to provide us with enough intrigue and surprise, without changing any essentials, purely for sensationalism. For example, to bring a lesbian sub-plot into The Body in the Library was nothing short of a travesty but to show the very subtle lesbian plot in A Murder is Announced is understandable - it was there in the original book & ITV did a similar thing with the Poirot adaptation of Five Little Pigs (& beautifully done it was too).

Sometimes the adaptation seems intent on making the impression a comical one, such as in The Mirror Crack'd, with loud, cinematic-style music that was almost a DA-DA-DA-DAAAAAAAAAAA every time something of note happened, endorsed by close up shots and a wonderfully OTT performance by Joanna Lumley of Dolly Bantry. Not right for the story but enjoyable if you want to suspend disgust at such treatment of one of Miss Marple's best stories. But when they get it right, they get it oh so right - The Blue Geranium, for example, is one episode, I personally found engrossing and faultless (Toby Stephens & Sharon Small - wonderful!).

Overall then, great in places and cringeworthy in others. But perhaps a reflection of the change in style of TV for the modern generation.

Agatha Christie : The Miss Marple Collection (12 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [1984]
Agatha Christie : The Miss Marple Collection (12 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Joan Hickson
Offered by Callums Cheaper Items - CUSTOMER IS PRIORITY NUMBER 1
Price: 44.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite perfect., 6 May 2012
If you love the books, these are simply the best adaptations because they are so close to the original books and Joan Hickson (Agatha Christie's own choice) just IS Miss Marple. Of course each episode is about several hours and leaves virtually nothing out of the written stories - that may be too much for some people, but personally, I think it is just the most wonderful homage to an amazing writer and one of her best and most loved characters. Settle down on a Sunday afternoon with a small(ish) sherry & lose yourself.

There is some debate as to whether the box set contains all scenes from the original screenings. Personally, I can't remember every scene from the original programmes but as some reviewers have said, the Beeb confirmed the running time, which matches the box set. If however, after watching the programmes at the time they were shown, you then read the books, some scenes from the books would not be in the adaptations or might differ slightly, but you may well retain the programme images in your mind. So when you come to watch them again, there appears to be missing scenes. That's just my possible explanation, but at the end of the day, for fans of Miss Marple (especially the long-standing ones), this series is quite simply complete and perfect.

Let It Go
Let It Go
Offered by filmrollen
Price: 2.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly perfect, 16 Oct 2008
This review is from: Let It Go (Audio CD)
I cannot say enough about how beautiful this album is. It is sweet, soulful, sad & uplifting all at the same time. It just gets better the more you listen to it & is a complete, joyful experience. I have always enjoyed Will but for me, this is his best album to date, with his music and voice sounding more mature. Get one for yourself - then get one for anyone getting over a broken heart - trust me, they will thank you for it!

Perfect Symmetry
Perfect Symmetry
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Keane - 'nuff said, 16 Oct 2008
This review is from: Perfect Symmetry (Audio CD)
Personally, I couldnt care less if this album is an 80's homage. Isnt that likely to happen if you bring in synths?. Some reviewers have said it is Bowie-esque. I cant hear it myself but of course, these things are all in the perception. Simply, this is Keane. & that makes it great. Tom Chaplin's voice is, as always, superb. It is a different feel to their other albums, but still them. After UTIS I wondered what they would do with their next album & was worried they would turn out a 3rd album with more of the same & get stale. If they had, there would be plenty moaning why that hadnt done something new. I love the fact they have taken a different direction while still retaining their Keane-ness & I love the album. Stop worrying about: is it original? is it this? is it that?. Its Keane. If you like them, buy it & enjoy it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4