Profile for John Cunningham > Reviews

Through the Year with Oscar Romero: Daily Meditations
Through the Year with Oscar Romero: Daily Meditations
by Oscar Arnulfo Romero

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring, 7 Jun 2011
I find Oscar Romero's life very inspiring. Something I have learned about when I was a schoolboy.

I read some of the biography (Brockman), but I found it was frankly quite dull.

Each quote from the sermons, etc. are from a couple of lines long to 2 or 3 paragraphs maximum. These daily meditations provide food for thought. Something to think about over breakfast and for the day ahead. They are challenging words as well as inspiring and as they are rooted in the gospel, haven't lost their relevance 30+ years later.

The Student Cookbook (Cookery)
The Student Cookbook (Cookery)
by Hamlyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Jan 2010
I am in my final year at university and must have cooked about half of the dishes in this book. Most are very easy to make. I will be keeping this book until well after uni. I would recommend it to everyone, not just students.

The great thing about the recipes is that they don't need lots of fancy ingredients that you buy for one recipe and then never use again, which makes them a bit cheaper than other books' recipes. There are plenty of common dishes like spaghetti bolognese, chili con carne, lasagne, etc. as well as some more oriental ones in an "east is east" section. All I have tried are delicious. Most are not very expensive to make.

The book contains great advice on what cooking utensils you will need to get, cooking on a budget and some really good common sense and money saving tips.

I have also tried "The Essestial Student Cookbook", which is rubbish by comparison. Buy this one instead!