Profile for nicolaluk > Reviews

nicolaluk (United Kingdom)

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, as relevant today as when it was written., 14 Jan 2014
Ordinary workers are divided by employers and government. No Social Security, No Health Service: work or starve. Not hard to see comparisons today (unscrupulous employers, subsidies for the rich, poor made poorer, Still contains best and easiest explanation of socialism as alternative to rampant capitalism. A depressing but also uplifting read. Required reading for anyone born after Thatcher's beginning of destruction of welfare state. .

Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini i8190 Black PU Leather Book Flip Wallet Case Cover Pouch With Internal Card Slots & LCD Screen Protector (Black & SP & Stylus)
Offered by Crazyprofit
Price: 2.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Case Cover but not practical as wallet, 7 Dec 2013
4 stars for protecting phone. 3 stars as wallet, card slots too small. Worth buying for price all things considered

Victory Cookbook: Nostalgic Food and Facts from 1940-1954
Victory Cookbook: Nostalgic Food and Facts from 1940-1954
by Marguerite Patten
Price: 5.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Three books in one, what a bargain!, 27 Oct 2013
Just to clarify in defence of this book, re the organisation, or rather lack of it in this book. This is not one book, but a collection of three books restructured into one, hence the lack of an index. What a bargain! Yes, an index would be nice, but I for one am really happy with the recipes and info provided and as someone else has said there are some great pictures.

The Unclassed
The Unclassed
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, 19 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Unclassed (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book onto kindle for PC, since it was free of charge, foolishly not expecting it to be up to much really, after all, who gives away good books in this day and age? Well I was so wrong. I shall admit to being fascinated with the Victorians, both in admiration for their inventions, and downright disgust with their, in general, disregard of the plight of the poor in that society, in equal measure.
I started reading this novel and really I couldn't put it down ( so to speak). It centres around a set of characters, whose daily lives are a constant struggle against hunger, both of the physical and intellectual kind. It is not all doom and gloom however, and it is really a riveting tale. It is very readable, the characters are ones you can really like, and I found myself caught up in their struggles, willing them on to better things. I love his style of writing, it seems to me to be far more modern in style than Dickens (who I am reading at the moment) and cannot wait to read more of Gissing's books which I have also downloaded for free. I recommend it to you, dear reader, wholeheartedly.

Jamie's 30-Minute Meals: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast
Jamie's 30-Minute Meals: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast
by Jamie Oliver
Price: 14.14

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab buy, 3 Oct 2010
I have nearly all of Jamie's book,some I like more than others. This one however is a real keeper. The book is set out in double page spreads. Each set of recipes has the menu and a colour photo showing how the *feast* should look when finished, followed by another double page spread one with the ingredients for each of the dishes followed by the method and order for creating the dishes and the other page with photos to help with techniques or to illustrate how it should look at different stages. The menus are very well balanced, plenty of meat loads of vegetables and bread plus many menus include a dessert, mainly with a helping of fruit too. I have looked through the menus, and really believe that they are great for families ( and couples) who want to eat well but also healthily, though you may have some scaling down to do with some recipes, or just invite your friends/ family around and make it an occasion, they'll love you for it.

Like another reviewer, at first sight I thought that the layout of the method to be complicated, however when reading the recipes, you can if you so wished just cook one of the dishes, skipping straight to the appropriate section for the dish you are creating as each section is not numbered but is titled by dish in red. I think I actually prefer this to many other books.Yet again the photography is beautiful, and there is less chat throughout the book, but a nice introduction at the front designed to help you cook quicker and get organised. Can I cook them in 30 mins, well I will be having a good try, but I'm notorious for serving my meals late so I doubt it. I will be reclaiming my dining table, and serving our meals in the suggested manner, and inviting my family round to help eat it. ps I couldnt wait for amazon and bought it in Sainsburys with my shopping for 8.99. will be reordering Jamie's Ministry of Food as it has been requisitioned by my son for uni. (that's another one I recommend)

Skechers Women's Active Bikers Mirror Image Flat
Skechers Women's Active Bikers Mirror Image Flat

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 26 Jan 2009
My OH bought these for me as a xmas present. i find it really hard, almost impossible to find comfortable shoes, but these are everthing i have ever dreamed of in a shoe. They are so comfortable, with easily ajustable velcro crossover fastenings, so i can wear them with tights or socks. they feel like you are wearing trainers they are so comfortable.

and to top it all off they look stunning too. everyone has remarked on how beautiful, and unusual they look. I have the brown ones and would love the black ones too but arent available in my size at the moment.
i would recommend them to anyone of any age.

A Vegan Taste of Greece (Vegan Cookbooks)
A Vegan Taste of Greece (Vegan Cookbooks)
by Linda Majzlik
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars some really great recipes, 31 Aug 2007
I was wary about buying this book due to a poor review on here, however, I dont regret buying it at all. The are some great recipes in here, and I love the mezedes section, with lots of dips, spreads and gyros to name but a few. Everything I have made from here has been successful, and delicious.
be warned however that there are recipes that use tvp etc and vegan chesses,soya milk and yogurt but by no means all of them. I only gave it a 4 star rating because of the lack of pictures( though that doesnt really bother me as my dishes rarely even remotely resemble cookbook pictures!)

The Sims 2 (PS2)
The Sims 2 (PS2)
Offered by filmrollen
Price: 12.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 19 April 2006
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 2 (PS2) (Video Game)
I love the Sims and Sims 2 and all the add on for the PC are brilliant. I was really looking forward to the PS2 game but I was so disappointed in this game. Its just so boring and slow and personally wouldnt recommend it at all.

Bombers and Mash: The Domestic Front 1939-45
Bombers and Mash: The Domestic Front 1939-45
by Raynes Minns

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book, 7 April 2006
I'm delighted with this book. Well written. Would recommend it to anyone interested in this period of Britain's history or womens history/studies. Other books often skim the surface but this has so much more detail and depth.