Profile for Jonathan M. Elliman > Reviews

Content by Jonathan M. El...

Jonathan M. Elliman

Goodbye to All That (Penguin Modern Classics)
Goodbye to All That (Penguin Modern Classics)
Price: 4.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning - Kindle version is FULL of typos, 16 Jan 2013
The amount of typos, missing words and unfinished sentences in this Kindle book is simply baffling. This is a full price product!

Don't get me wrong, the book is fabulous - it's a four star from me. But I want to make the point that charging full price demands a flawless product. Not a text file that has been run through an OCR scanner. Kindle books need editors and proofreaders as much as printed books. And going by my experience (about 30 Kindle books so far) Kindle books are full of the sort of errors you just don't get in printed form. I am rapidly going off the Kindle as a result.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2014 6:13 PM BST

The North Face Mens M Hedgehog Gore Tex III Trekking and Hiking Shoes
The North Face Mens M Hedgehog Gore Tex III Trekking and Hiking Shoes
Price: 92.36 - 104.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof in snow, 23 Feb 2012
I bought these in a bit of an emergency as I needed some waterproof hiking shoes but didn't want boots as I already have 2 pairs. Unfortunately I'd stupidly left them in storage down in Southampton.

They arrived next day and were nearly half price at only 59 - they were a returned item listed on Amazon Warehouse. The box was slightly damaged: That's all that was wrong with them. They're a bit garish to look at but fine for walking the dog! They are very comfortable and light and, although I gambled with ordering half a size bigger, they fitted perfectly.

I walked a couple of trails in the Alps, through snow up to 4 inches deep and didn't have one leak, even when it was snowing heavily. They are really grippy and I only slipped on black ice once. Time will tell on their durability but after this weekend I cannot recommend them enough.

Synology SUS2 USB Station 2 NAS Server for Home and Small Workgroups
Synology SUS2 USB Station 2 NAS Server for Home and Small Workgroups
Offered by IvoryEgg Limited
Price: 85.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good for macs, 1 April 2011
I returned this item. I was very excited about converting existing hard drives to NAS and being able to back up and stream media around the flat. Unfortunately, although the unit was neat and the software great, it just isn't suited to working with Macs. I couldn't get Time Machine working over wireless, printer sharing only works with postscript printers natively through OS X (although you could use CUPS - which was a nightmare trying to set up). You also have to reformat the hard drives to EXT 3 or 4. So I gave up, boxed it up and sent it back. I think the concept is great - it's a cheap way to take a first step into NAS at home with existing hardware - but if you want a wireless backup NAS then, as far as I know, Apple's Time Capsule remains the only product that works off the bat with OS X.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2011 10:12 AM BST

Western Digital MyBook Studio Edition II 2TB Firewire 400 / 800 & eSata External Hard Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer, 22 Oct 2010
I am using this with a mac. It's configured to be RAID 0 but I reformatted to RAID 1 as I didn't need the speed and wanted the extra safety. I am using it as the main drive for my old iMac and it holds all my iTunes stuff for my new Apple TV. It looks great, is almost silent and works perfectly. Hopefully I can forget all about it as that's the true test of a decent hard drive!

Guidelines for Online Success
Guidelines for Online Success
by Rob Ford

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and too flashy, 19 Jan 2009
I bought this book shrink-wrapped and I now know why! I was really looking forward to reading this book and I must say that it is a total let down. 90%+ of the sites highlighted in the book are Flash-based. This is not what the title or any of the cover copy implies.

The book doesn't talk about running an online business. It just showcases cool looking Flash sites that appeared on the FWA site - sites designed by designers primarily for showing off to their peers. You only have to look at the CMS section to see how far removed from modern interface design this book is. The do's and don't are totally formulaic and simplistic. "Don't use Comic Sans" is one of the pearls of wisdom you get for your 20-odd quid. Thanks a bunch. If I could set this review in Comic Sans I would.

What about Ajax and Rails technologies and CSS-based sites? Aren't they far more cutting edge? I would argue so - this isn't even discussed. I was hoping for something more in the mould of "How to be a Graphic Designer, Without Losing Your Soul" by Adrian Shaughnessy; this is a brilliant book that follows the day-to-day running of a successful creative business.

This book, however, is one of those eye candy books disguised as an online business manual. It is not for those who want some sage advice from leading industry figures. It doesn't even have an index. Avoid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2009 9:30 PM BST

Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 in 21 Days
Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 in 21 Days
by Jason vanValkenburgh

5.0 out of 5 stars Filled with day to day solutions to problems, 24 Aug 2000
Anybody buying this book is not going to be a total beginner at IT so I was expecting a very stuffy tome. However the book is written in a chatty and inclusive style and shares information with the reader without patronising or bamboozling. I found the tips scattered throughout the book to be of excellent value and they allowed me to get over a lot of problems when dealing with my companies mail and internet. It also has a lot of tips on NT and day to day network administration and implementation.