Profile for Janice > Reviews

Content by Janice

Janice

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Noodle Trails, a travel memoir: Fair Trade, Dung Trade, and Travels in Thailand and beyond

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend for a real flavour of Thailand, 20 May 2016
I read this book on a flight from the UK to Bangkok and on my way to what would be my first ever trip to Thailand. Noodle Trails is a beautifully written book which gave me a real feel for the country, the people, the food, and the culture, through Eileen Kay's experiences in Thailand. I loved the book and went on to love everything about the country and the people and I intend to go back again later this year. I highly recommend this book for a real flavour of Thailand.

Trespassing Through Life
Trespassing Through Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it - totally engrossing and beautifully written..., 9 Mar. 2016
This is one of the most engrossing books I've read in a long time - it is beautifully written and I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended. If you enjoy a great story with wonderfully warm female characters, sexy men, and horses - then this is for you!

Made in Nashville: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance
Made in Nashville: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance

5.0 out of 5 stars A hero to fall in love with..., 19 May 2014
I really enjoyed every moment spent reading this book set in the Nashville country music scene. Mandy Baggot has fast became one of my favourite authors and one I get excited about when I hear she’s just published a new book. Mandy never disappoints as she writes heroes to fall in love with and heroines you’d want as a best friend. This is an emotional five star read. Highly recommended!

Chic Feet Womens Party Diamante Evening Wedding Bridal Prom Mid Heel Sandals - Black - Size 5
Offered by Chic Feet

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 27 Feb. 2014
I have never ordered shoes online before but these looked to be exactly the shoes I needed to complete an outfit. I paid for fast delivery as I needed them asap - and they came next day. They came beautifully packed - each shoe in a separate cloth bag - well wrapped and boxed. They fit beautifully and the heel height for me, just right. They are comfortable and really wearable - with skinny jeans or a ballgown. I just ordered the gold pair too. A sparkly bargain!

Do You Remember?: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance
Do You Remember?: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away by Do You Remember?, 24 Nov. 2013
I was blown away by this book. Not only is it expertly written by Mandy Baggot, whom in my opinion has become one of the top writers in the UK in this genre, the characters are emotive, the tension and the suspense and the love scenes are breath-taking and kept me riveted. I particularly enjoyed how the story was told - alternating between the past and the present - and I have to say that I was shocked by the final chapters. I just didn't see the plot twists coming. This novel is a multi-layered romance story with a depth to it that is totally unexpected and yet entirely satisfying. I do think it would be a good choice for book club groups as there would certainly be a lot to discuss after reading Do You Remember?
Five stars unreservedly from me.

Ceri's journey: Angels
Ceri's journey: Angels

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and emotionally charged..., 5 July 2013
Angels is the first in a three part series called `Ceri's Journey' and I was totally blown away by the intensity of ideas, emotion and intrigue, packed into this 30,000 word story. I have read most of Linn's other books, and so I'm already a fan of her unique and very personal style of storytelling, which I can perhaps describe as like being told a heart rendering tale by a best friend. Angels is a powerful emotionally charged romance with supernatural/angelic suspense. It's Linn B Halton at her best yet. I won't give away spoilers and so can only say that I give Angels 5 stars unreservedly - and simply can't wait to read the next in this series!

Security
Security

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance, adventure and suspense - everything I love to find in a novel!, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Security (Kindle Edition)
I took this book on holiday in great anticipation because I'd read the blurb, already seen some of the fabulous blogger reviews, and I knew I was in for a treat. I was not disappointed. This book has everything that I personally love to find in a romance novel - a heroine who grows on you, a hero to fall madly in love with, an action packed passion fuelled storyline than grabs you and takes you along for the read - oh and know I've really enjoyed myself when I shed a few tears along the way. (I had to pretend I had suncream in my eyes at one point). There is romance, adventure, suspense, and ups and downs that have your heart racing and pulse pounding. I loved it and highly recommend `Security'. Mandy Baggot is now one of my very favourite authors!

How Not To Murder Your Grumpy
How Not To Murder Your Grumpy
by Carol Wyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Outrageously funny - an absorbing guide for every grumpy!, 26 April 2013
When your Grumpy Old Man is getting under your feet and grumbling about everything from the `state of the economy' to the `rubbish on the TV' you'll know he needs an all absorbing hobby - and this amusing book by the fabulously witty Carol Wyer is just the thing to suggest to him not just one - but hundreds. Although, you may not want him to see the title, not unless of course you really do have a potentially murderous grumpy situation, and then it can be considered fair warning! How Not To Murder Your Grumpy is an outrageously funny and tongue in cheek guide for GOMs everywhere and after reading this guide that might just be an acronym for Giggly Old Man. Totally entertaining and highly recommended!
Thank you to Carol and her publishers for sending me an advance review copy free of charge in exchange for my honest review.

Every Step of the Way
Every Step of the Way

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Step of the Way, 20 Nov. 2012
This novel, set in London and Gloucestershire in the aftermath of WWII, gave me a real sense of what life was like in the 1950's, when rationing was still in place and the women who had kept the country going in the fields and in the factories during wartime, were all back at the kitchen sink. It must have been a difficult time for teenagers to grow up in and Kit Domino captures the essence of the 1950's era exceptionally well. The depiction of the London smog and its effects on the population is particularly harrowing and poignant and this is where this story begins. We follow the life of Beth, a sixteen year old girl living in 1950's London, who through experiencing love, life and loss, becomes a grown woman by the end of the novel. It's a coming of age story that is beautifully written, expertly told, and one I simply couldn't put down. Highly recommended.

A Kettle of Fish
A Kettle of Fish

5.0 out of 5 stars A right kettle of fish!, 5 Nov. 2012
This review is from: A Kettle of Fish (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't really sure what this book was going to be about - but I liked the cover picture and the fact that the novel is set in Scotland. I love Scottish set novels actually, as I live there myself and I know Edinburgh and the part of Fife quite well where the all scenes are set. I found A Kettle of Fish unputdownable - even though I had to when I had other demands on my time BUT the point is that while I wasn't reading it I really wanted to get back to it. I found myself wondering about Ailsa, the main character, and couldn't wait to find out what happened next. She had indeed uncovered `a right kettle of fish' and I was desperate to know the outcome. All the characters seemed so real. I was kept on the end of the hook over and over - even at the end - I hadn't seen what was coming. I loved loved loved this novel and would absolutely recommend you read it. It's fascinating, engaging, disturbing, and identifiable - it's a right kettle of fish!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3