Profile for Derek Cj Pitman > Reviews

Fullers Earth Powder 100Gm Unbleached + Natural Detox
Fullers Earth Powder 100Gm Unbleached + Natural Detox
Offered by Intralabs

5.0 out of 5 stars Fullers Earth for fly fishing, 24 Dec 2012
This is a very difficult product to find and buy these days. Thank you Amazon!. I use it to make a sinking paste for fly fishing gear. Mixed with glycerine and Fairy liquid washing up soap, this is far better than the commercially available mixes from fishing catalogues.

Aladdin Becher Insulator 350 ml
Aladdin Becher Insulator 350 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Insulator mug, 24 Dec 2012
It insulates, for sure, but despite the "lip" it is difficult to drink from it without embarrasing dribbles! The cap might be a better fit too. But having said that, it is better than the other hot mugs that I have bought for outdoor use in bad weather and it will do.

Rebel (The Starbuck Chronicles, Book 1)
Rebel (The Starbuck Chronicles, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Rebel, 24 Dec 2012
I am a great fan of Bernard Cornwell and read as many of his books as I can get my hands on. His grasp of the historical/fictional mix is totally rivetting. I hope that the rest of the Starbuck series is an improvement on this one. There are parts that are over described and one tends to skip a page or two - the Bull Run battle scenes for instance. But although I feel that this book is not up to the standard of his "Uhtred" series, it is neverthless a pretty good read and my slight criticism should not detract from you purchasing this one.

Hardwear Wading Boots - Khaki/Green, Size 12
Hardwear Wading Boots - Khaki/Green, Size 12
Offered by Glasgow Angling Centre

5.0 out of 5 stars Wading boots, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Hardwear Wading Boots (Sports)
I needed a second pair of wading boots and didn't want to pay the earth for them. These are inexpensive and I can honestly say that they are comfortable and hard wearing as the name implies and almost as good as boots at twice and three times the price. Fantastic value.

Iron Man 2 [DVD]
Iron Man 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Iron Man2, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Iron Man 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I followed up the excellent first issue "Iron Man" with this sequel. Not QUITE the same punch as the first, but good rip-roaring entertainment - loud and enjoyable!

Shakespeare Omni X Geared Fly Reel 7 No - Black
Shakespeare Omni X Geared Fly Reel 7 No - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Omni X fly reel, 5 April 2012
I would warn you of this reel if you intend using it regularly. The idea of a geared fly reel is excellent. I tend to have spare line on the floor around my feet and the quick pick up is just what I need. I bought this item because it so resembled my Shakespeare Speedex geared reel that I have used for 20 plus years, but it is now looking very tired. This one lasted 9 months of lake trout fishing at least once per week before the main plastic gear stripped out. Writing to the manufacturer has elicited nothing, which is very disappointing. In its defence this is a very inexpensive item and maybe you get what you pay for -- so perhaps 9 months use isn't bad. I think that this is a good idea that could be developed for a better lifed item with metal gearing. I would happily pay twice or three times this price for that advantage. There may be other geared fly reels on the market, but I haven't found one yet.

Olympus SZ-10 Digital Camera - Black (14MP, 18x Wide Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD
Olympus SZ-10 Digital Camera - Black (14MP, 18x Wide Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Take time to learn!, 15 Jan 2012
I bought my SZ-10 2 weeks ago and settled down to read the disk/manual. But there's no substitute for just going out, I thought, and trying it and I gave up doing my homework before use. Mistake! It takes some getting used to for sure. This is my 3rd Olympus and suddenly it's all more complex than before. After several days use I am getting improving results and find the the "P" method ( I am a point and shoot person) gives excellent results but needs careful positioning of the small green box in the LCD screen to ensure an image that is not over bright and over dark in places. I read in another review that the pictures were out of focus/blurred. That is not my experience. It is essential to take time to frame shots, half-press the shutter release to achieve focus and as a result ALL my pictures have turned out really sharp. Comment has been made too on the flimsy plastic cover for the battery and card and I agree with this. I feel that it will not last long. Battery life is a little disappointing and after 60 or so shots without flash I have had to recharge 3 times. A second battery is on my wish list. The camera appears robust and fits well into the pocket, which suits my travel needs. The 3 inch screen is marvellous and it is the best I have ever had for coping with a sunny situation and still maintains visibility. Despite my small minus points given, I still score this camera with a full 5 stars and I'm well pleased with its performance, looks and portability. At this price I think it is #1 quality and the few negative comments that I have made do not detract from my satisfaction and are acceptable to me in achieving VFM (as they say these days)

Craghoppers Men's Kiwi Gore-Tex Jacket -Cadet, X-Large
Craghoppers Men's Kiwi Gore-Tex Jacket -Cadet, X-Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Craghopper Jacket, 23 Dec 2011
I bought this because of the Goretex reputation. As a fly fisherman my weather clothing gets well used and subject to more movement than just walking. In heavy rain I found that the inside of the right arm lacked water repellancy and I had to retexture it after one use with Nikwax spray.This was probably due to "fritting" arm-to-body whilst casting a fly. The garment is lightweight and alone is suitable for summer use. I bought a size larger than needed so that I could wear an under fleece in cold weather. This works well. Despite my comment above, the rest of the garment repells water very efficiently in fast run off droplets. Beware this and wear waterproof trousers in heavy rain! Altogether, price and quality,this is a good buy.

Royal and Langnickel Watercolour Wooden Box Set
Royal and Langnickel Watercolour Wooden Box Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Watercolour box, 23 Dec 2011
Bought as a present for my 11 year old Great Grandaughter and it was received with great ethusiasm. Tubes of paint might be a bit bigger. Youngsters tend to paint watercolour like oils! Excellent price and delivered safely on time.

Cormoran Cora Z Activator Fire Tiger Big Fish Lure
Cormoran Cora Z Activator Fire Tiger Big Fish Lure

5.0 out of 5 stars Cormoran Pike lure, 23 Dec 2011
This lure casts well using my Abu multiplier and lands with quite a splash - but that might be a good thing to attract a predator's attention. The action in the water with a variety of retrieve speeds is extremely lifelike. so much so, that on my first cast I caught a 12 pound pike. This is a personal opinion, but I think that the treble hook is a bit OTT and I cut off one and debarbed the other two hook points to make unhooking easier. A great lure.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6